Y&R: Episodes discussion, week of September 21

• Members

Yup, We noticed Billy's fight-for-seriousness...but we first all gasped at Lily's get-up. Thus, we were right there with him. Kudos to Billy, IMO, for having a natural reaction. She looked like a psycho nun...and I couldn't understand a bloody muffled word she said behind that mask.

If Victor can have a heart surgery and come out with no ventilator, then they could have foregone verisimilitude with Lily too...and just let her eat the germs.

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Ashley is almost as crazy as Patty. I bursted out laughing at her reaction to Nikki and then insisting to everyone she saw that she murdered her. The woman is a nutjob.

Hasnt it been past Sharon's 30 days? It feels as if she's been locked up forever

Lily looks ridiculous. Why couldnt she have died instea?

• Members

Did the poster criticize his acting and the Adam character? I don't know the situation, but if so, then I don't get the big deal. Everyone does it to various actors/characters.

Calling someone a smug ass is rude, but how many actors troll the boards to defend themselves? They're public figures, they should know that rampant criticism comes with the territory.

If Muhney felt insulted by something a poster on a message board said, then he needs to know not to take things seriously, especially being in a profession like showbusiness. His acting and the character he plays are up for constant discussion, a lot of which is going to be negative.

• Members

I kept waiting to see Lily's grief, i expected more from her since she and Colleen had such history, I kept waiting and waiting to connect to her grief and she just did not bring it. Colleen's death did not garner any type of emotion from Lily, except her self praise of how she was going to live for both of them. It felt flat, I really wanted to connect with Lily and feel her pain at losing a friend, more like a sister so unexpectedly. And I felt nothing but the urge for her to never have come to the hospital and stay at home whinning Why Me

• Members

I still prefer CE to MM but I'm not enjoying the character of Adam at the present and I blame the writers even though CE seemed to be able to showcase the more vulnerable side to Adam, that I really liked. I even liked the sibling rivalry chemistry that he had with the other Newman brats but we all know Adam will be second fiddle to them.

As for Abby, I just wish they had never sorased the character since DRB, even at her young age, was much better an actress than Haley Erin. I think the reason some viewers felt so disconnected from this Colleen storyline, aside from the writing, was the fact that she was rarely on screen over the past two years. Folks didn't start coming around to her Colleen until she was nearing the end when the writers teased a Jolleen reunion. I agree that Traci and Steve are the unsung standouts in this craptastic s/l. While Bierdz wasn't ready for a return of this magnitude and they should have prepared him more so I'm not blaming him but the actor that plays Steve came in ready to do the work and impress. Impressive on his part!

• Members

Delta, I don't think any of us did. And that's simply because Kahlil can't act her way out of a paper bag. When I heard that interview where she said she looks at Goddard's forehead during romantic scenes to keep from laughing, I KNEW what a lack of professionalism wer'e dealing with here. And for pete's sake, she's acting opposite GODDARD. He's not exactly unattractive... it wouldn't be THAT hard for any red blooded woman to muster up SOMETHING in a scene with him. Contrast with someone like the underused Bregman, who has made ALL her scenes with CLB look so incredibly real and believeable... and she has to do these scenes opposite a FLAMING QUEEN. Now THAT is talent!

• Members

Ok, kind of funny, but in fairness Tracey Bregman is very close friends with CLB which helps and they are obviously very comfortable working with each other. I do agree the difference is professionalism and talent though. This is a paycheck for Kahlil. She may be friends with Goddard but she does not connect to the material like the talented vets do. Bregman explained in an interview that when she is on set, she feels what Lauren feels and all she has to do is to look in CLB's eyes to see the history of their characters as a couple. CLB explained that when he saw Lauren walking down the aisle he became emotional because he felt what Michael felt. That is why they are so realistic.

You could probably say that was true with most of the good actors. They connect with their characters and the actors they have acted opposite for so long. With Kalil, she does not truly become Lily to Goddard's Cane. Good actors should make us forget that they are actors and make us believe they are the characters they play for their time on screen. I don't know if Kalil gets that. That is why she should never have been given this cancer story.

And just like with Tom Bierdz, I blame the writers much more than I blame Kahlil. They watch her on set daily. They know what kind of actress she is and yet they give her this cancer story. Instead of basing who plays a story on talent and who could handle a complicated story they are writing to please certain fanbases or play fanbases against one another. Creating good story is far down on their list or priorities it seems to me. That is why so many of their stories ring hollow and why certain stories are successful. Why did the Katherine story work? Because Jeanne Cooper, Jess Walton, and Melody Thomas Scott understood their characters and played them with real emotion. They believed the story and felt what their characters felt and because they did, we the audience did.

• Members

Every time I see a LeBlanc interview, he seems to only praise Michelle Stafford and talk about how he loves working with Michelle. I've rarely read many interviews where he praises Tracy for some reason, and I've found it odd. He does compliment Tracey sometimes, but seems to enjoy working with Stafford the most for some reason.

Eh, I guess Stafford is his favourite hag on set.

• Members

You make alot of good points here. The basic problem is that they are writing Kahlil WAY beyond her range. And it's doubly bad, because Goddard is a pretty decent actor... and for the most part, she brings him DOWN, and in a big way. For Thom, I blame the writers AND Rauch more than him, because in interviews he explained what he was going for, and what he was doing didn't come across onscreen because they don't DO the extreme closeups that Wes Kenney did, due to the HD thing... not wanting the viewers to see the pores on the actor's faces, etc. You don't take a rusty actor and drop him into a HUGE reveal, and you don't give him REAMS of dialogue on his second day of shooting, and you don't give a actress like Kahlil with limited talent a CANCER storyline! This is when I wish we had much more old footage to illustrate with... because if you comnpare what Kahlil is doing with what Dorothy Green did in HER cancer SL in 1975, the difference is mroe astounding than you might imagine. I think CLB does a great job, although I have to laugh sometimes at hihim trying to reign in his queeny side when the character gets all excited.

• Members

Has the crappy writing inspired everyone in every department at Y&R to be lazy and crappy at their respective jobs too? The wardrobe department, led by Jennifer Jonhs, has gotten increasingly bad this past year. I understand they no longer have the budget they once did, but damn, the women in particular on this show are dressed atrociously.

Given that Queen Hack Maria Arena bell has a background in fashion, I wonder if she's influencing the costuming department at this show, and if she is, it hasn't been for the best.

• Members

Totally agree about the womens' clothing-like they combed the bargain racks at Sears.

Actually,Gloria doesn't look bad at times but Jill is dressed like Jess Walton,not her character.As for Nikki,the less said the better.They seem to deliberately defy the rules for-how shall we say-heavier set women.

Also agree about the range and depth of some of the younger cast members.Someone stated that Goddard is a decent actor,bit I have to disagree.He is one note and mumbles.Against Walton & Cooper he pales into insignificance and with the equally bland Khalil,its's snoozeville.

Although looking back, early Lauralee Bell and Micheal Damian were not exactly Emmy worthy.

Archived