Y&R Casting Scandal?

• Members

Sure, MAB can do whatever the heck she wants.

But first of all, folks like Stafford and Bergman (and, yup, even Khalil) have fan contingents. The latter two actually have pretty big ones.

The show will survive if either or both leave. But, in the desperate times, you don't kill off A-team players like that without serious grounds.

If a lot of people hate Rowell, simply bringing her back is going to create enough cast bullsh*t it will definitely harm the show. So I can understand why MAB is not just playing "dictator".

What should be happening is that MAB should be bringing the parties together and saying "Look, all of you, it is time for us to figure out how to positively co-exist for the sake of the show." And it is time for Stafford, Bergman, Rowell and others to -- from their adult perspectives -- figure out how to put their egos and differences aside.

If Bergman can still work with Braeden after a FISTFIGHT, surely all these folks can figure out how to work with Rowell.

But, I also agree with Rowell on another score: With St. John backburnered (probably in punishment for his blog-radio comments) and "Malcolm" recast, I continue to lose my connection with this show.

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The poor terrorized cast of Y&R can't handle a real black woman. I have the perfect way for them to cope - read Guiding Light's 'Where Are They Now' special edition, exclusive in the Peapack Times. That'll give you a reality check like no other.

If Kim Zimmer is now groveling at Fron's feet for a job - don't think it won't happen to you. Listen to some Michael Jackson "Man in the Mirror" if you need the fortitude. If that's too 'old school' CK, try BeyBey's "Irreplaceable". Don't you EVER for a second get to thinking....you're irreplaceable, boo. Davetta is ready, willing and able. And Stafford and Bergman - same goes for you two as well.

To the left...

• Members

WIRD. I love this kind of *Ishtar*.

I have a HUGE problem with the idea of CK running anybody's show, wth is she!? I admire VR for speaking out, someone needed to put the dirty politics of daytime on blast, but you have to admit that being a revolutionary has its price. Maybe she (rightfully) assumed that given her years and contribution to the show, they'd side with her in an "It's either her or me" situation instead of it being the other way around as rumored. But when you call people out in a very specific, public way, you can't expect that you'll ease right back into a working situation with them, whether you were in the right or not. I don't think CK is going anywhere, and you can't keep Dru and Lily separated... and VR and Paul Rauch, my stomach would be doing flip-fops standing in the same room as those two.

• Members

I'm sorry but I don't buy the cast having this much power. If Peter Bergman had that much sway, then I don't believe he would have gone along with his character being humiliated and made increasingly irrelevant over the past year, and all but having neon signs put up saying Billy is the new Jack and Jack is on his way out.

It's always some actor's fault at Y&R. Never, ever are the people who actually run the show to blame.

Paul Rauch has never focused on black characters at any soap. He went as far as to actively run off longtime, beloved black cast members when he got to OLTL. The phasing out and contemptuous attitude towards black characters since his arrival reminds me of his previous soaps.

• Members

Well he tried (but failed, or simply didn't follow through) at GL. I believe it was his idea to bring back "the black Spauldings" who were introduced in the '80s, Sharina (Brandon's wife) and their daughter Victoria. He introduced Victoria's daughter, Vicky, but killed off Victoria (of course Sharina and Brandon were already deceased) and didn't bring in any other hitherto unmentioned biracial Spaulding children. So that sucked, a let down. And Vicky and David (real-life couple Victoria Platt and Terrell Tilford) usually had zip zero zzzzzz to do.

• Members

They wouldn't recast Lily. They'd kill her off. They'd kill off Phyllis or Jack too.

I can't believe the cast has the final say here. Even if they don't want her back, I doubt they want a lot of what goes on now.

Just ask yourself how long women who stand up for themselves last on Rauch shows.

• Members

Oh, of course you're right. In the end, Rowell may be too challenging for the current TPTB to deal with.

If we put together what we have heard, a year ago VR told Nelson Branco (?) that a "cast vote' was needed to bring her back. What we're hearing now is that at least three cast members are threatening to vote with their feet.

My guess is that this a convenient vote for TPTB. It lets them say 'Well, VR, we'd love to have you back...but the cast doesn't believe they can work with you". In the end, if TPTB were REALLY committed to the idea, they'd make it work.

Here's my feeling. I'm ready to give up on VR with Y&R. I'm now channeling all my hopes into fashion-fabulous Dru in Los Angeles on B&B.

• Members

LMAO! This is over the top and crazy! The Y&R cast is LEGENDARY for their divas! Michelle Stafford, Eric Braeden, Melody Thomas Scott and Peter Bergman are known set terrors! Pure divas! Say Rowell is a diva too, so what?! They all are. Even since she's left we've heard of them ganging up like they do. Look at the Emmy prenoms. You piss the populars off and they will screw you. Christian LeBlanc has been deep on the backburner but he will ALWAYS get that prenom because of his friends.

Christial Khalil being one of the people to keep Rowell away doesn't surprise me. But tell me...who will bring in more viewers? Victoria Rowell or Christel Khalil? Fcuk that trick! If she left tomorrow the show wouldn't suffer one bit. This cancer story is a joke. I'd love a real actress to come and knock it out of the park. I was falling back into good grace with her before that cancer story showcased how much she hasn't grown.

I just hope one day it IS announced that Dru will return. It would be just briliant knowing how pissed some people would be. But I'm sorry. Dru is as big as Victor, Jack, Jill, Nikki and bigger than Phyllis. Bigger and more essential. She needs to be there. THe fact that an entire family collapsed on her exit spoke volumes. Think Lorie Brooks.

Sad that Kristoff finally stopped being a yes man and it looks like he's going to get the sack. I knew that three month thing was true when Lily got that box of stuff. He's gone. He'll help introduce nuMalcolm and then move to Hong Kong or some stupid [!@#$%^&*].

• Members

I think VR knows very little about the people currently running Y&R, since she has never worked with them. She is more likely to blame the cast.

I hope to see her again, although B&B will probably never give major story to blacks. I wish they'd hire her, especially if it means less airtime for the likes of Donna.

I think VR would be best off creating her own web soap, like Crystal Chappell is doing.

SFK, I took the black Spaulding at GL as another Rauch sleight of hand. Pretend to give blacks stories while really giving them the business.

• Members

Forget about bringing in more or new viewers. CKLily couldn't even keep the viewers after Dru went over the cliff watching. Right there should have told TIIC something. If they had a better Lily at the time. The ratings wouldn't had fell off like it did & continue to do.

What I find interesting everything VR said it seems to come to light.

• Administrator

Why is Rowell running her mouth off during negotiations? How is this going to help her situation? How is this helping anyone? Is this going to make Y&R want to hire her? Sometimes she really does need to shut up and learn how to deal with things professionally. Surely this isn't her first negotiation!

Archived