AMC: Daytime Confidential confirming production moving to LA

• Members

Wow, my emotions ran the gamut having just read this 17 page thread in one sitting (Carolyn, I should have read it backwards so I would have seen your post first! :lol: )

Not to be dramatic, but this kind of... hurts. Like, it really hits the nostalgic me in the gut. AMC has always been a BIG deal in my family and whenever I thought of New York as a kid, I always thought of people like Ruth Warrick, Louis Edmonds, Susan Lucci and the rest stepping outside of fictional Pine Valley and onto the bustling sidewalks of Manhattan. I still think of New York that way and I've lived here for over ten years.

This news also really sucks for New York actors. Whether you book an extra, U5, or dayplayer gig, or are blessed with a coveted contract role as some of my friends have been, working on a NY soap is just one of those unique experiences for an actor living here. When I first came to NY there were six soaps taping here, and here we are down to two.

UKBoi took the words right out of my mouth several pages back, I hypothesized that Lucci would get a Geary-like deal. Of course they would never call it "recurring", they'd spin a much gentler and more fabulous term than that, but I could see Erica doing her "life's work" and jet-setting across the globe, coming back for two big storylines a year, each subsequent return to Pine Valley splashier than the last. And on that note...

I PRAY that they don't fudge with the locale, i.e., let's stay in Pine Valley. I hope that that's not even up for debate.

I agree that if you want to work (and the younger and less financially secure you are, you do), you will make the move. Coast hopping is nothing new to the life of a soap star, it's just what they do. Unless of course you are the face of your show and seemingly have perpetual job security. As I said in a post last week, Lucci has three homes in the NY area, her main home in Garden City, a house further out in the Hamptons, and an apartment in the city. Never in a million years did she think AMC would uproot and move to L.A. someday, I mean, why would she? With all that real estate, she's in a different position than Canary, or even Slezak and Strasser over at OLTL. And we know how she is about AMC, she won't trash talk the show and she's always been very cautious about disappointing the fans. I think she'll grin and bear it and genuinely try to make it work before she "abandons" the show and her legions of fans. A tough spot for her, especially considering the fact that she isn't being writeen for as wonderfully as she used to, and she certainly doesn't need the money. She'll probably end up renting a snazzy little L.A. apartment like Linda Dano, though I could totally see Susan and Helmut buying a condo at Sierra Towers where her neighbors would be Joan Collins and Diahann Carroll.

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

My living nightmare! Hmm, is CM gonna sell his snazzy refurbished brownstne in Harlem? It's one thing if you own property outright, but when you are still paying a mortgage and now must rent or purchase a new home cross country, that can get dicey.

• Members

I may be really naive here but for those thinking that actors won't make the move what else are they going to do. If you are not ready to retire or unable to retire how are you going to earn your living, the reality is for most soap actors this is it, they are not hot commodities in the entertainment industry, it's either move or become unemployed.

Also as far as cancellation rumors I see OLTL going first unless AMC plumments in the ratings and their is a substantial gap btwn the two as of now the difference is so miniscule that it doesn't matter to anyone but the fans to give them bragging rights. AMC is a known entity outside of the soapworld and in this time and age where soaps are failing your reputation is as important as your bottom dollar, the three soaps on air currently known in mainstream media have to be Y&R, GH and AMC and as hard as this is to swallow means alot. If either of these shows cancel it will send a doomsday vibe through the industry and who would want to invest in them after that.

• Members

I finally got a new computer and after weeks of being out of the soap loop, I am stunned that ABC would even consider moving AMC! I think this is a good sign, though. If Frons weren't committed to keeping AMC on the air, would he move it to LA? Imo, this means he values AMC over OLTL. I just hope the majority of actors agree to stay and AMC doesn't turn into the current state of DAYS where its mostly about the newbies.

• Members

I'd pretty much given up on AMC, in fact I have, it'll never be good again. But this actually has me halfway interested. I guess because I don't really care about the show anymore? It's just been completely destroyed in every way.

• Members

This may of been pointed out on here already but I don't feel like reading all the posts. Someone noted that Thorsten Kaye is doubtful due to the fact he is New York based and partner Susan Haskell is on OLTL. Also, all the children like Spike and Emma will probably be recasted. Their families aren't going to make the move.

Archived