AMC: Daytime Confidential confirming production moving to LA

• Members

Someone made a good point, OLTL is getting the stability and AMC is getting the unstability with this move, potentially losing actors and viewers in the process. AMC is the one they're messing with, not OLTL.

That's why IMO AMC will be cancelled before OLTL

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'll have more to say about this topic later. However, I just wanted to quickly add that a network did indeed cancel a soap that was not its lowest rated: NBC cancelled AW before SuBe despite the fact that AW had nearly one million more viewers. This was one of the many reasons why AW fans were so furious at NBC.

• Members

But AW also had the bigger pricetag of the two. And the better timeslot.

IMO, the strategy made perfect sense. The problem with the strategy is that NBC didn't expect for their pubescent auds to grow out of that kind of storytelling and expected them to stick around, crappy production values and all.

I don't ever think that NBC was wrong in canning AW. It had clearly run its course. A second wind would have given it more time, but given the way GL was treated post-Conboy, I am so scared AW would have faced similar challenges.

• Members

AMC doesn't currently broadcast in HD. You said you got an HD set... but do you have an HD tuner box (meaning, if you happen to have Satellite or Cable)? If you're watching through a box that isn't an HD one, what you're viewing is in Standard Definition.

(I know, a bit off-subject... but figured it was helpful information!) :-)

• Members

True, but as I said before, the difference between AMC and OLTL in the only demo that matters, women 18-49, is negligible at this point. They are usually within 0.1 of each other in that category, and therefore likely charge exactly the same amount for ads. And with AMC relocating to cheaper ABC-owned digs in L.A.....and without the expense of expensive union workers striking sets and trucking them across town for storage every night, just to put them back up the next day (a cost OLTL will still endure by staying in NY)....well, I think it's a no-brainer OLTL will go first....UNLESS, as I said, OLTL is able to consistently beat AMC for awhile by at least 0.4 in the women 18-49 demo...maybe even 0.3, to be optimistic about OLTL's chances...but any less (0.1-0.2) means they're pretty much on par, and charging the same amount for ads.

• Members

So funny... Says they've been "working hard" to "bring the show BACK." I like Garcetti, but what he said was likely total bull - especially since he mistakenly (BIGTIME mistakenly) thought the show was previously here in LA.

I'm sure, as far as the LA City Council goes, AMC's move to LA is totally serendipitous for them - and not anything they were "working hard" to do. :rolleyes:

• Members

I was just thinking that probably many AMC castmembers thought the show was about to be canceled yesterday.

I mean....Brian Frons flies in from Los Angeles and calls a meeting on the set for the whole cast...oy...I bet some of them were thinking maybe that was the end of the line.

• Members

I do think they've been working hard to bring production back to LA Proper, where Glassell Park is located. Los Angeles county is huge, but places like Hollywood (where GH is filmed) are not part of LA City Proper; instead, they're part of LA County, so the city itself doesn't benefit.

In that sense, this is sort of a coup for them, bringing some TV production back to the city itself....but yeah, I don't think they've been targeting AMC or anything, lol....let alone for this victorious "return" Garcetti seems to have imagined. :rolleyes:

ETA: BTW, I just discovered the coolest thing...if you go to your "My Settings," you can set it so up to 40 posts appear per page in each topic. I just shortened this topic (on my 'puter) from 16 pages to 9 pages. :D

Archived