Y&R: Potpourri Thread

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Sadly, I find myself falling into the" vortex of negative energy" because I haven't been compelled to watch in a few weeks now. I will if I am home and have nothing else to do... but haven't been setting any tapes or DVDs.... daytime is dying... obviously, I felt up until a few months ago Y&R was maybe going to slow that death down.... once the conclusion to the Marge storyline ended..... the show slowly began to falter. I still enjoy some aspects.... mainly though its the acting.... the writing has really taken a nosedive though, especially since May.....

I don't think its reached Latham bad levels yet, at least to me, but it won't take much longer at the pace we are going. Whether Engen quit because he is a homophobe, or whether it was just simply because the writing is stupid.... we will never know.... but this upcoming twist which Adam sleeps with Rafe only to keep him quiet.... I am literally sick to my stomach at the thought of this plot point. This gaslighting storyline could have been done very well.... it played to Ashley's history as a character.... unfortunately they took it way to far, and made it far too cartoonish.

*sigh* I am realizing more and more television, not just daytime, is disappearing as we know it. Primetime tv has me just as enthused....

I am in a very cynical phase I guess. I hope something comes along to snap me out of it... thank god for TV on DVD and all my classic episodes I can pop in my vcr when I miss the real daytime.

• Members

But when the opinion debating turns personal, does it belong here too? Also, when it goes off topic, does it belong here too?

It would be fine if people actually contribute to the topic of this thread, instead of trolling this thread and coming in to "attack" the opinions of others and contribute nothing to the topic.

• Members

More and more, I'm beginning to think that Engen quit not because he's homophobic but because he felt the gay twist is embarrassing and insulting. Yes, it's probably usually never a good idea for actors to take issue with the writing, but just possibly Engen had enough integrity to not do something he felt trivializes or mocks gay people and our lives. As for the show itself, I too find it terrible. Y&R, like all other soaps, has ALWAYS been plot driven. What was always different about Y&R was that their scenes were never about the plot. The scenes were always character-driven, yet still took the story from point A to point B. James Houghton gave an interview to KnotsLanding.net a few years back while he was still on the writing staff of Y&R (around the time his former Knots co-star Joan Van Ark was playing Gloria), and he attributed a good part of Y&R's success to the fact that the writing staff goes out of their way to ensure that the individual scenes are always about the characters, not the plot. Viewers relate to that type of technique, he believed, and I totally agree. I don't get that sense from the scene writing anymore. While it's definitely true that the tone of MAB's plots probably doesn't veer too far away from Bill Bell's or Kay Alden's tone, her execution of the plots is so different. With her, and I'm noticing this more and more, the plot eats away at the scene to the point that the characters and the dialogue come off solely as plot devices. It's just very manipulative writing. The viewers are more intelligent than TPTB think, and they know when they're being played.

• Members

Personal attacks don't belong anywhere on the board and I've never said they do, but what is O/T in a potpourri thread? If it's about Y&R it would seem to be relevant. If someone wants to come in here and claim MAB the second coming of Doug Marland, that is their right.

• Members

But sadly, most of it wasn't about Y&R. It was about personal attacks and posters being told that just because they only watched Bill Bell's final years, they had no idea what his true vision was.

No one said it wasn't. People claimed to be sick of the "negativity" in the episode discussion threads, so this topic was meant to a safe haven for people to express that and not get crapped on. When people come in here just to attack and tell people they're wrong about their own opinions (how can your opinions be wrong), that's when I take offense. For a debate to happen, both sides have to contribute to a discussion, I don't think that was being done.

• Members

You brought up a great point, this is exactly what I think is missing on this show. I mentioned a few weeks ago how none of the conversations on the show have subtext or depth anymore. It's all to move a plot along, it doesn't have the individuality to the conversations that the show used to do effortlessly.

I agree...

Archived