Y&R: Potpourri Thread

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I actually didn't see her as satan for the first 6 months. It's really only after she started messing with the production style, and the pacing, the wierd PC crap.... not letting people wear dimaonds, etc...... screwing with what made Y&R an identifiable brand, that I turned on her. I was willing to give her a chance, and she has SOME great concepts, but couldn't carry them out. I think she was a FAR bigger failure in her Executive Producer duties than her HW duties.

• Members

I never thought MAB's run as writer was as bad as many others did (including the many who tuned out, I guess). I think she needs a strong co-writer. Hogan Sheffer is like an anti-soap writer. He twists every soap he writes for into a very ugly pretzel. He seems to have contempt for the genre of soaps, for women, for friendships and strong family bonds, and he tends to significantly damage leading men at every soap (Craig Montgomery, EJ Dimera, now Nick and Billy).

I think she just needs to find better writers, and repair work needs to start immediately. It's not too late.

• Members

I found her solo run incredibly boring, where nothing happened at all. Y&R's always had a slow pace, but the storylines, for the most part during the Bell era were riveting and you tuned in everyday for that cliffhanger. MAB didn't give us any real cliffhangers during her solo run, and her pacing was atrocious. Shoving a new character like Sabrina down our throats didn't help either. Not to mention, even then, half of the cast was backburned, the Winters were horribly written, and female characters sucked.

I think this show needs a competent new HW, MAB's tried, but she's failed IMO.

• Members

Carl, then why did I hear people all over the message boards a couple years ago acting like Sheffer walked on water? I ahve to say, if it's HIM that is responsible for the chipmunk thing... FIRE HIM. GEt fdown on your knees to Kay Alden, I LOVE her.

• Members

I remember hearing a ton of grumbling when Sheffer was hired, and I believe he is behind the chipmunk story, the dark Adam story (I can take a dark story or two but all this dark going on at the same time is too much and this particular one went WAY too far IMO), and the way women have been completely dumbed down as of late I attribute to Sheffer. I may be wrong but everything I read previously about what he has done to other soaps seems to be coming to fruition on Y&R??

• Members

I guess he has a lot of fans. I've never been sure as to why, as he tends to do this with every soap he's at. The worst was probably DAYS, as he almost permanently ruined what should have been a key leading man (EJ) and had tons of pointless, sick, depressing material like Steve's torture and poor Benji's murder. His younger characters were also a joke (they hot tub while they fly through the air on their airplanes), which tends to be a problem for him on each of his soaps.

• Members

I guess the tapes I bought on e-bay that contained 80's episodes aren't Bell either? :rolleyes:

Bill Bell continued on as a story consultant on the show until he died, and the show very much had his identity in tact. Unlike the LML years, and yes, NOW.

But again, if you cannot abide by the topic of this thread and you continue to attack me, kindly stay out of it before I report you to the mods.

• Members

You know, from what I'm reading in this thread... I don't know why more people aren't scremaing to get SHEFFER out of there. I wasn't fmailiar with his past efforts, but by the sound of it, every thing I don't like, he is responsible for. Who knows, MAB mgiht not like his stuff either... but he has a contract, I suppose. It's possible he's written things far WORSE than the chipmunk thing, and the bad things we are seeing onscreen might be a COMPROMISE. You never know, but it's a thought.

Archived