Y&R: Potpourri Thread

• Members

The show is an absolute dreck of horrible couples (Cane & Lily), a platoon of useless characters, unbelievably terrible, Passions deluxe stories told with zero humour (chipmunk), lurid, lugubrious & twisted awfulness (Adam), inexistent, offensive "romance" and unabashed phallus-worshipping women (Sharon, Phyllis, Jack, Nick) complete with overused, hollow soap clichés & historigasms everywhere, every possible tale beaten to death (false identity, DNA tests, arrests, wackos going around town in plain daylight, their victims prize idiots, triangles, quadrangles...) and told as many times as possible...

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

What is Peggy Sloane doing now? She wrote for AW when they had very strong, complex family dynamics (the Corys, headed by Rachel when she was still complex), surprising romance (Carl/Rachel, Donna/Matt), business intrigue.

I know he probably wouldn't be suited for Y&R, and he works at DAYS now, but I've always thought Richard Culliton was an underrated writer.

• Members

Peggy Sloane left daytime or retired in 1999. As for Culliton, I've always found him to be a mixed bag as a HW, he works much better as a Script Writer.

What about stealing Guza's wife Meg Bennett from GH? Bennett has history with Y&R, having acted on the show and writing scripts for the show in the 80's. Perhaps pairing her with a more contemporary Y&R writer like Slater would be a good fit. She also has experience on various different soaps.

• Members

I read something in Meg's IMDB bio that said she often tweaked her scripts on set and it impressed Bill Bell so much so that he encouraged her to purpose a career in writing for soap operas. He clearly liked her a lot, as for a time, she acted AND wrote scripts for Y&R.

And yes, that would be a great combination. Too bad that Guza holds on to his writers with everything he's got and yeah, Meg is his wife. :lol:

But I don't think anyone in the Bell family, Sony, or CBS is smart enough to take our advice. :(

• Members

Great post.

That would have been an interesting storyline (Colleen) but with the current casting being what it is, IMO, it would have fallen flat and unbelievable.

Food for thought: Is Maria looking to the past to save this show, e.g. all the blasts-from-the-past when she has a fully bloated cast as it is?

• Members

CF is just so emotionless and delivers in such a dismal manner. Everything that the girls says falls flat. Add that to not looking her age and looking like she belongs in the older age set and not w/ the "so-called 20-somethings" and the total lack of chemistry with Miller (poor boy is trying!) IS a problem. II don't know why TPTB are forcing this "love story" down our throats when they have TWO RECASTS who have no chem whatsoever? It's done and so not there--give it up!

• Members

Mostly just feel like lurking. Still thinking whether I can find plausible psychological motivation for Adam, but so far I can't.

I want that so badly. Mary Jane takes Sharon's baby and gives it to Adam to pass off as Ashley and Victor's. If it is Nick's, then Victor will be a genetic match... If it is Jack's, Ashley will be a genetic match. But the most interesting is if it is Billy's...then neither will match. And no, I don't trust the results of any prenatal DNA tests that might soon be revealed.

JT should have played--A LOT--with Raul. He should be playing with Mac and a competent Colleen. Mac used to give advice to Colleen. She should be playing with Colleen and JT and Kevin. So much missed opportunity there. Mac doesn't even have enough scenes with Kay or Murphy.

I know why all this is happening. It is cost containment. If they play smaller groups of folks in islands (something, to be fair, Bill Bell did all the time), they can shoot multiple eps in one day--saving $$. But this is a clear place where the license fee cuts are HURTING storytelling. Or, maybe not storytelling--character building.

That's one of the many reasons I could go with a small cast. A small group that plays 5 days a week, but everyone interacts all the time. Though I am not a GH fan, I believe they do this very well.

• Members

You know what else I've been thinking... And to just regarding Y&R, but soaps in general... Would a sitcom writer work out as HW? Weird, silly idea: two words completely apart, yet so many sitcoms have soapy elements.

People like Jeff Greenstein, for example, or Joe Keenan, whose DH episode Bang was many things, but so different from what the rest DH episodes were like...

Or Alexa Junge...

Never mind me, just thinking aloud. :D

Archived