Y&R: Potpourri Thread

• Members

Since the discussion thread is strictly episode discussion now, and since a lot of fans simply do not like the direction this show is taking and it's been at least semi-dominating the Y&R episode discussion threads, this thread is for Y&R talk that doesn't strictly pertain to each daily episode.

And yeah, the show sucks so much, that some of us need to release our bitchings out in a more appropriate thread.

And because it must be said, Maria Arena Bell, Hogan Sheffer, and Scott Hamner all need to be fired and replaced by more creative, experienced, and overall better writers with better track records.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

More than anything Y&R needs to get back to family and friendships. I think this is a very overlooked part of the show's success and while the LML era did have many deserved criticisms, she did keep some important bonds (like Paul/Lauren) which are now gone.

• Members

A few days ago I made a post listing all the storyline problems this regime either refuses to deal with or can't deal with for lack of talent reasons.

I said this:

So, this Tyra/Devon borderline incest mess can be added to my list of flaws of this writing regime now.

-Can't write corporate storylines.

-Can't write for the minority characters (OK, the Winters).

-Can't write strong female characters.

-Can't properly develop and write for new characters.

-Is a big fan of disgusting plot points that turn many off and are seen as offensive.

-Has potentially caused core characters (Adam, Patty Jane) to be irredeemable and has written them into a tricky corner.

-Can't write romance stories.

-The 20's set is given horrible stories, like this art storyline.

-Doesn't write for almost half of the canvas, yet always writes for favourite characters repeatedly.

Feel freed to add more to the list, but more and more, I'm definitely fed up with Maria Arena Bell, Hogan Sheffer, and Scott Hamner's vision for this show.

• Members
I loved the Sharon/Dru friendship. :)

And to kind branch off from what alphanguy said in the Y&R thread, are people going to tune out of Y&R because of the gay story itself or because of how tasteless and offensive it might be?

I'm not particularly enthused

It's disgusting and offensive and considering the overwhelming amount of gays on this board who were SOOOO offended and up in arms about

It's astounding that militant gays are so pleased with a story that puts our people back by about 20 or 30 years.

I know I should reserve judgment until the story airs, but I am not particularly pleased with the gay fan contingent's reaction to this kind of shock value story.

• Members

A few months ago I looked forward to watching Y&R but now no so much. I have to wonder if Engen walking out had more to do with the storyline being stupid then it had to do with any feelings he may of had toward gays.

• Members

There's something Amoral or even Immoral with the tone of the show, especially compared to other soaps, excepting perhaps GH.

• Quad: There's very little examination in how this boring square dance has messed up Noah. Neither Nick, Sharon, Phyllis or Jack have any concern about the immorality of their adulterous liaisons. On DOOL, for example, even a relatively shallow character like Chloe has more depth than the Q4 right now. Chloe's cheating on Lucas, but she feels guilty about it and is grappling with both her personal feelings & the moral dimension. And this is silly Days of our Lives! I am disgusted by the Quad right now. They are all close to dead to me.
  • Adam: The character is deeply and inexplicably misogynistic. I am a bit amazed that any gay viewers are looking forward to storyline where such misogynistic character has a same-sex relationship.
  • Mary Jane: We're invited to laugh at this poor pathetic Fatal Attraction type psycho who can't get Jack Abbott out of her system. She's destroyed her life because of Jack? She's that pathetic? Give me a break, here.

Archived