Y&R: Potpourri Thread

• Members

I agree--on his myspace CE said something to the effect of him being asked to do something never b/f on daytime & I agree that is it. That did me in. It really affected me--it was way too much. Since ED said in an interview that Ashley is not walking around w/ a dead fetus inside her, we can only surmise that Adam burned it. Also, Adam would not have been able to stop the bleeding with the change of a nightgown and one towel and she would know something was wrong--too far fetched.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Everyone is entitled to their opinions. I appreciate seeing the actors who are still putting in good work even when the story twist or arc is ridiculous kudos on that, production standards and the better directed epis. Sometimes when you have all those elements combined with great to excellent dialogues the show is made of gold. But though having most of those elements probably still puts the show on top by daytime standards I'm with Y&RWORLDTURNER that it fails by it's own standards. These stories and characters are being written in a way to which I as a viewer no longer buy or understand the character. They are becoming caricatures. The stories are too plot driven. The character driven elements are being purged. These core characters are some of the best characters remaining in daytime, they are multidimensional, unique, dynamic characters. These writers seem to only write parts if them as is convenient for their ridiculous plot purposes, I understand that is an overall daytime formula but this is one viewer where as if I can't understand the characters as I have seen them as they were built over time, I lose interest. I'm on the fence about MAB if she's willing to come back past the line she has crossed and take the proper steps to fix the issues she and her team is creating then fine, if she can't do that then it is time to find the better storyteller who can tell the stories as they should be and fix the "story issues" as best as it can possibly be fixed. There are some elements of Sheffers writing that I will admit I enjoy, I can very much buy the chipmunk is him as well as Sharon's promiscuity. Chipmunk failed but to an extent Sharon's behavior I chose to buy however it has gone too far now for the Quad. Sheffer is a good writer when roped in properly

• Members

This whole gaslighting storyline if offensive, misogynistic, and just disturbing. Not to mention, it makes very little sense. Ashley was 5 months pregnant, they're not going to tell me that some dead tissue from the fetus that should make her lethally sick isn't still left in her? This is just nonsense storytelling. It has also put Adam to the point of no return, when he should have been much more complex, given that he's a core character. Now he's a baby killer, stalker, borderline psycho, and overall nut. This is not good writing, and the Adam character had so much potential. They totally botched this character.

• Members

I'm beginning to get sick and tired of the childish behavior that goes on in the Y&R threads. How old are you guys? 5, 4, 7? Everyone here is entitled to their own opinions and we must respect them even if we don't agree with them. If you cannot control yourselves, please use the ignore function. The ignore button wasn't enabled to keep as a souvenir, so use it if you need to. If you don't like what you read in this thread, the weekly discussion thread is still on the board. Behave and have fun posting. :)

• Members

Yes, Ashley should have gone thru toxic shock.

Seriously though, we've waited years for VN, Jr. to appear and we get a gem in the role--he's introduced as totally Victor's son--pompous, arrogant, able to hold his own against Victor, etc. and they decide to do a total rewrite in personality and character assasination purely for plot purposes? IMO CE is so good he still has me liking Adam even after what he's done. Adam's well educated and he knows it could have totally gone up against Victor's other children and like I said, I think they should have went the affair route w/ Ashley.

And Y&R does it's first gay storyline,

What kind of message is that?

• Members

It's very offensive storytelling that was meant to be purely for shock value than for anything else. I don't think storytelling like that is what people who lobby for gays to be represented on their favourite show want, especially when it's the first time the show is attempting to tell a gay storyline.

Hell, I wouldn't even call it a "gay" storyline. It's another attempt by this writing regime to tell yet another "shock" and "awe" storyline, but like always, it will probably fall flat too.

• Members

IMO, this explain a lot about why CE hit a wall with Adam. From his performance, he obviously does not believe that Adam is crazy or lunatic. And I can see why -- Adam did not start out insane and he never "became" insane. For CE, Adam is depraved and twisted up by a need for revenge. His Adam is spiritually sick NOT mentally unhinged. Funnily enough, I actually find that a lot more interesting than Mary Jane's brand of pitiful psychosis. MM is inheriting an over-top character who already killed a baby -- it's MUCH EASIER for an actor to start here than to start where CE did 18 months ago and end up here. Once upon a time, Adam felt guilty about taking Victoria's office. How did that man become someone who kills an unborn baby, burns a fetus, and allows a woman to think she's still pregnant and be examined by a molesting doctor? It's fine for Adam to get progressively darker but this is just plain stupid writing and character assassination just to set up a STUPID BABY SWITCH PLOT! Isn't it possible that CE, like a lot of actors, actually cared about his character and felt attached to Adam and that this incoherent and nonsensical plot twist was painful and depressing for him? How can Eric Braeden compare locking up a guy who cuckolded Victor and feeding him rats with what Adam is doing? It's not in the same ballpark at all. CE should not have quit but I can see why he became depressed about the writing for Adam.

• Members

Adam's drive has not been established enough. Revenge? No this is beyond that. This is at least revenge, ego, possibly sociopathic (apparently when he doesn't see Ashley bleeding at the bottom of the stairs only), wreckless (I guess consequences doesn't bother him at this point or should I depend on the stellar writing to properly blend this element of the character into the "fallout" of this plot?), extremely lucky (he risks leaving the house runs to the hospital in town then comes back undetected & Ashley refuses to leave) etcetcetc. Too many holes

• Members

The need for revenge has been well established but Adam's pure sadism with Ashley is out of nowhere. If his targets were Jack, Victor, Victoria, Nick, Nikki or Neil, then yes... we could buy it. But the woman who has been kind to him and got him out of jail? That's insane and Adam is NOT insane just because the writers say so. If he lost his mind in jail, we needed to see it. The ONLY reason Adam is tormenting Ashley is so we can get a baby switch and so Hogan or some other writers can indulge in the fun of writing a misogynistic sadist.

Archived