Y&R: Potpourri Thread

• Members

I'll play devils advocate from the writers point of view.

So, this Tyra/Devon borderline incest mess can be added to my list of flaws of this writing regime now.

This is completely in character for the character of Devon. Since he's joined the show he has been most attracted to women who could be considered family but aren't really blood. What else can this poor sap do since Lily doesn't want him?

-Can't write corporate storylines. What?? Three months ago we had great fun with musical Chairs in the CEO of Jabot office. Doesn't that count as a corporate storyline? How about Nick leaving Restless style to go back to Newman? Just the other day Neil discussed hiring Jill with Katherine. The corporations are being heavily featured.

-Can't write for the minority characters (OK, the Winters). Estella, Rafe and Detective Hottie are being thrown right into the middle of our ground breaking tale of immorality and victimization, isn't that writing for minorities?

-Can't write strong female characters. Isn't being a bitch the same thing? We have lots of those.

-Can't properly develop and write for new characters. We can barely write for the old and established characters, but we did create Murphy. Speaking of Murphy, that has been a very long fishing trip.

-Is a big fan of disgusting plot points that turn many off and are seen as offensive. The audience loves this kind of stuff, the darker the better. Violence and sex sells. Are ratings are still up aren't they??

-Has potentially caused core characters (Adam, Patty Jane) to be irredeemable and has written them into a tricky corner. These are core characters? The show has survived without them for decades before.

-Can't write romance stories. Lily and Cane making babies is the most romantic thing in the entire world. They are so cute together, just ask our biggest fan Moila. Nick and Sharon are also our other delightful romance, they have finally realized that their love is the most important thing in the entire world and rewarding fans with a satisfying and enjoyable reunion.

-The 20's set is given horrible stories, like this art storyline. Who doesn't like art? Maybe we should plan a kidnapping in an art gallery. Isn't it funny how Amber and Kevin keep finding money and always choose to do the dumb thing with it? They should go on the run again, that was really fun.

-Doesn't write for almost half of the canvas, yet always writes for favourite characters repeatedly. If we ignore them long enough, maybe they will go away. We don't want to have to be mean and fire anyone. We write for fan favorites.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Totally agree on the FACT that Sheffer cannot write strong women. His grubby paws are all over this show. In terms looking outside the box and forgetting character integrity and what have you, I find the stories are completely understanding. For instance, if the Mary Jane or Adam storyline was a made into a film, I'm sure I would love it, but this is a SOAP OPERA, not some 90 minute suspense film, from which Sheffer hails (i.e What Lies Beneath).

The you have major storylines or plot points dropping off the face of the earth. Colleen's story, barring whatever you feel for Tammin Sursok, if written correctly, could have been the best story this show has had in years. Finally Jack would have an family ally against Victor and and it screamed of Bill Bell's greatness at corporate drama. Watching it just finish with mere reminders every 3-4 months is a travesty in itself. And for what? Characters like Chloe and Phyllis who are constantly acknowledging their flaws but NEVER end up doing anything at all about it. What fun it is to watch circle's going round and round and round.

Then you got the hot mess story of Phillip III being alive, which was completely unnecessary. Undoing Cane as the real Phillip - I'm all for that. Bringing back a character from the dead that is probably the most notable death in the show's history? Ridiculous. Did they not have enough story from figuring out where the hell Jill came from and finding out the identity of Kay's real daughter.

And, so help me God, if a baby switch happens, I will flip. How horribly unoriginal and EXTREMELY played out.

• Members

There was some loss of over the air viewers in general according to Neilsen and broadcast engineering magazine:

DTV arrives but transition continues

Jun 18, 2009 1:41 PM, By Phil Kurz

Broadcast Engineering

Quote:

"Many viewers too have had to address a range of issues to continue receiving over-the-air TV. In fact, the first post-transition tally from Nielsen of OTA television viewers that cannot receive a digital signal shows 2.5 million U.S. households have lost coverage"

• Members

The frustrating thing about Adam, Billy, Colleen. Chloe and Mac is that they really should be the Generation Y versions of Victor, Jack, Ashley, Jill and Kay. Instead Adam is more David Kimble than Victor Newman, Billy has Jack's sluttiness but none of his corporate drive or sense of family, Colleen is Australian and never on, and Mac is a total failure (though that's more due to casting than writing). It's NOT THAT HARD to write these four characters. They should have been written as Victor, Jack, Ashley and Kay and TPTB needed to dig up/create a young Nikki. It's NOT THAT HARD. If you need a psycho to terrorize Ashley, don't make it Adam. If you need a third man for Sharon, don't make it Billy. And why can they write for Amber but not Colleen? That's crap. As for Mac, ugh. Just ugh. Chloe is the one most like the character she's modeled after, so not surprisingly, her character has been a relative success. Still, Chloe could stand to be a lot more grasping and a lot less wholesome -- like Miss Jill herself.

• Members

The problem with Mac is that she needs to be in other people faces. We don't even see her with her grandma anymore. It seems like Chloe spend more time with Katherine then Mac.

I wish these writers wasn't so deseparate for a Billy & Mac reunion.

Maybe if Mac paid JT ransom. We all know JT is being held hostage at the Newman Ranch. Maybe he'll come out to play with her.

• Members

Who is Mac? Why is she there? What does she want out of life?

For almost her entire time on the show, no matter the actress, she has been a cipher. Ashley Bashioum brought some edge to the role and warmth to her scenes with Katherine, but even she started to fade early on. There's nothing there. We never saw Mac and Brock get close. Her mother was only on the show for a relatively brief amount of time. The entire idea from close to the beginning of this character is that she is there for Billy to pine over. It's always been the conceit of the show that Billy is just so sympathetic, so long-suffering, the poor little rich boy who just needs to be loved. Mac is always viewed in this prism. To be honest I wasn't overly enthralled with this couple even when they were played by good actors who had chemistry, and I'm definitely not now. The last thing Billy needed as a character was for Mac to return. I don't care about Billy pursuing his true love. I also don't care about Billy being torn between his responsibilities and his fantasies. I don't care about Billy and the wants, hopes, and dreams of his penis. I think this character needs a lengthy stint on the backburner and some time with the Abbotts.

• Members

I have to agree with alphanguy74 about BB. Just because he was a better hw than most does not mean that Y&R was always very good under his regime. I suspect though that his method of writing involved some kind of long term storyline planning and direction for the characters. Sadly what appears to be going on now is that the writers are flying by the seat of their pants and writing everything ad hoc, at the expense of character driven drama. So instead of going back to the drawing board to begin planning for the future, they are grasping at what they see as titillating straws with the hopes of keeping afloat. I'm not entirely sure about MAB, but Scheffer and Hammerhead need to go tomorrow. I could see where this show could be very good again but someone needs to start vetoing these outlandish ideas and MAB doesn't seem to be doing that anymore.

What proof do we have that this guy is even Adam? So what if he was at the farm house when Hopeless croaked, he could be an impostor. Micheal Scott's son, a nutjob totally obsessed with destroying Victor that he tracked down real Adam and is holding him hostage in a bomb shelter, letting him live off rats while he lives his life.

I am completely befuddled by why they write some things for characters. Why did they have Sharon sleeping with Billy. It only makes sense if MJ intercepts the paternity test and sees that Newman is eliminated but Abbot isn't, and not knowing that Billy is a contender makes the baby Newman's. If Billy was just someone to have Sharon banging with no consequences, why didn't they have it be Jeffrey?

• Members

Which is what I was getting at. But make no mistake: if she were to re-write it, don't expect people to hail it as an awesome story. How many times can she write "Person A is not Person A" story? It's getting ridiculous...

• Members

Tell me about it, lazy way out seems to be the big thing with this writing regime. Again, they don't use history for depth and character study, they use it to beat the audience over the head with it and for the audience to forgive absurd re-writes, and it all comes off hollow and flat.

I agree, again, when they played that chipmunk sh!t straight, we should have known this writing regime lost its f.ucking mind. No creativity at all, and the sad thing is, they recycle plots they used in prior arcs it seems, and this writing regime hasn't even been in control that long.

:lol::lol:

Archived