Y&R: Potpourri Thread

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

As I've before, I'm all for Maria overseeing the show with her Co-EP credit, but I'd like to see more competent and skilled writers actually write and execute the storylines on the show. Maria would be there to help keep them in check with her Co-EP credit and she could consult with them often. I wouldn't be against say Meg Bennett being the show's Head Writer, and Maria being her boss as the Co-EP. In fact, I think it would be better for the show if Maria strictly worked in that capacity without too much power. I like a balance of powers and I think it would really help this show.

• Members

AL was a better Colleen than Tammin, but even with AL in the role, I'm not sure I can see the show making an effort to write strong stories for a young female character. At most I can see them having her in a triangle with JT and Victoria, or with someone else.

I think not addressing Billy/Mac would have been better than bringing her back right now, when Billy has so much else going on and the character is already too compromised to deal with Mackenzie. If they were going to bring her back I wish they hadn't put her near Billy, she could have been built up on her own.

• Members

The only question is whether "balance of powers" work on this show. I'm thinking of Kay Alden vs. Ed Scott.

It seemed "harmony" returned when Jack Smith returned as supreme leader.

Of course, when LML had supreme power...there a Bell EP would have been a very good thing for balance of powers. Indeed, I happen to think early-LML was a very nice demonstration of what the balance of powers could have achieved. Ratings went up, and many of us were energized by the new momentum at Y&R.

I guess the conclusion I draw from this is that balance-of-powers, per se, may not be a remedy. It really has to do whether the right mix of personalities come together...and that involves just a little bit of magic. You can never quite predict if it will work.

• Members

David Shaughnessy was there up to early 2004 as the main EP, too...

And right now, many of us find this team of Maria Arena Bell, Hogan Sheffer, and Scot Hamner absolutely toxic and vile.

And Maria's role as Co-EP doesn't mean she'd write the storylines, she'll just be there to consult or kill certain storylines. I do not trust her taste, I mean look at all the ridiculousness she let go to screen this year. However, I think if she were paired with someone like Meg Bennett, who lets face is, is a better match for this show than Sheffer or Hamner, things could work very well.

Disagreements and conflict are always bound to happen in working relationships. However, the key is obviously to put that aside and make compromises that best benefit the show.

I think this current writing regime with these three writers highlight one another's worse attributes.

Again, WHY does this show NEED THREE HEAD WRITERS? Talk about too many cooks in the kitchen. I would be fine if she had ONE Co-HW, but TWO is a little excessive and I very much believe it is responsible for how disjointed this show often is

• Members

Well, I do not know Tammin personally, but what I've seen of her as Colleen, I do not like. I think she's horrendously miscast, and not only is the writing almost nonexistent for the character, but Tammin isn't always on cue. I think the character could benefit from a stronger recast that is comfortable with her American accent, and better writing.

But really, they obviously don't consider Colleen a major character anymore. I think this character needs to be written off and come back a few years in a few years with a good recast. Anyway, the way she hardly appears on the show, it's almost as if she's been written off anyway, and the show certainly isn't suffering for a lack of Colleen. If they're having budget problems and the cast needs to be trimmed, Tammin is one of the biggest candidates that should be let go first.

• Members

My dream addition to the writing staff would be Jane Espenson. Unfortunately Dollhouse was renewed by Fox so she's very likely unavailable.

Hopefully Colleen is the one they are recasting for, although Mac and Victoria recasts would also be welcome on my screen.

• Members

I've been down on MAB, but could someone like Jane Espenson or Joss Whedon turn out a better soap than MAB? Can they handle 5 days a week, 52 weeks a year? The quality of their work would suffer. We might find it dreck, also.

Archived