Y&R: Potpourri Thread

• Members

IA with you there on MAB's zero experience. I don't understand why they didn't find someone like Wendy Riche to EP the show. At least she has good taste in a sole head writer to pen great stories. She may have even hired Patrick Mulcahey ;)

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

For a network that was once so dominant, they've gotten so stupid.

CBS and Sony and Bell really should have hired someone like Wendy Riche when David Shaughnessy left or whatever.

And not to go off topic, but as for the rest of CBS daytime, MAB and Rauch should have gone over to B&B. Bradley Bell's an idiot.

ATWT should have replaced Goutman with Gary Tomlin and GL should have replaced Rauch with Linda Gottlieb instead of John Conboy.

Okay, back to Y&R, I still think Wendy Riche would have been a great EP along with Patrick Mulcahey as Head Writer. I'm not sure if Riche/Alden would have worked, but I think all of damage caused over at Y&R would have never taken place.

• Members

The Wendy Riche suggestion puzzles me a bit...

I mean, whenever Felicia Minei Behr came to a soap (ATWT most notably) you knew who she would bring on as HW (Broderick or anyone from AMC). With Riche I'm not sure, and from looking at the writing team, nobody really stands out other than Patrick, but were they really that close? Maybe I'm giving too much thought into this..

On a shallow note, Riche's production quality wasn't all that great on GH IMO, so I really wouldn't be completely in favor of her joining as EP. Linda Gottlieb would be more of a better fit, as long as the HW under her isn't Malone or Griffith.

I say just bring Scott back as EP, therefore we get to keep our top notch production quality and perhaps even his wife.

• Members

Ugh. I don't know all of his work. I know some of his Santa Barbara and I DEFINITELY know his B&B. I have a hard time seeing, in 2009, that he would be any kind of improvement. But my samples are limited.

• Members

^Mulcahey is great, B&B is not the type of show you should use as a test for ANY writer. I mean, you did enjoy Alden/Smith at Y&R, right?

Mulcahey was great at GL, SB, and GH, so don't you think it's a bit weird that his work isn't enjoyable at B&B? If you had to write scripts for half the stuff that happens on that show, I'm sure it wouldn't be impressive either.

• Members

I don't care about Y&R's visual look at this point, because budget concerns make the "look" irrelevant. Paul Rauch was known for his style, but increasingly most of the women look like they're buying clothes from Wal-Mart. Gottlieb likes to overhaul her show drastically and while Y&R does need an overhaul, I'm afraid yet another drastic change will cause another ratings drop.

I wouldn't mind seeing Wendy Riche at the show. Or someone new.

• Members

The thing with Riche being a good EP at Y&R is that I don't think she would change the production style at all. Her production style at GH was very warm, and what GH should have looked like. At Y&R, she would have been walking into a set filled with many, many people who were there from the beginning, and knowing that, I'm pretty sure, she would have kept the look the same and focused on compelling stories to keep the show at number 1 and make it very critically acclaimed as she and Labine did at GH. Patrick Mulcahey would have made a good Head Writer under Riche at Y&R. Just check out what he had to say about her at GH, he was very fond of her and felt she was a very good producer who actually did her job and didn't mess around with scripts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrick_Mulcahey (scroll down to the references and click on #1, it won't let me link it on here for some reason)

It appears Wendy Riche was there for her cast and crew. Which would have been a good thing for Y&R.

I still think Rauch would have been better at B&B because I think Rauch would actually hire a writer who wrote for a show about fashion, like Fashion House or Ugly Betty or Models Inc.

Linda Gottlieb would have done an overhaul at GL, but a good one and it may not have been canceled today. CBS should have hired MADD to replace Lucy Johnson, she would have been better than awful Barbara Bloom.

• Members

That's thew whole dialogue team on B&B though. I've seen his work on various other soaps, and I know the scripts on B&B are heavily edited, so I'm not sure how much is 100% him on B&B. He was reknown for his scriptwriting skills at other soaps. SB, GL, and GH, all won Emmy's for episodes he wrote.

When Maria Arena Bell becomes a solid writer, then we'll talk. :lol:

• Members

I think Y&R needs an overhaul, but one that's respectful to the show's roots and identity. Not something totally opposite like Lynn Marie Latham, or something totally boring and pointless like MAB's early run, and definitely not anything going on right now.

People like MAB using past history, but it's to the point where she uses too much of it. It doesn't add depth or nuance to her storylines, it feels forced and as if she's trying to manipulate the audience into accepting it because of some dialogue that brings up the past or past patterns occurring again. Her execution style is so bad, and so anti-Y&R, IMO.

IMO, NONE of the current storylines are setting up anything substantial or longtterm for the future. The show seems to be stuck on either reliving the past or using the past for everything happening in the present. It needs some of this yes, but not the entire show.

Archived