Y&R: Potpourri Thread

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I was watching an old Youtube clip of the "Ice Storm" episode (where Phyllis gave birth to Summer; Colleen and Korbel had sex for the first time; Brad and Sharon were fighting the temptation to have sex and Lily and Daniel had an accident. Someone commented a little while ago that some of the actors actually gave better performances during this time. After watching this episode once again, I have to agree; Michelle Stafford seemed to be acting and not bored and even Khalil was okay then, not trying to act like a grown up and no baby talk. MAB really missed an opportunity with Brad and Sharon, IMO. Overall though, (and this is hard for me to admit to since I hated Latham) it was better drama than the camp we have had the last few months!

I'm also tired of all of the Quad crap; a major turn-off!

• Members

But MAB coming to this show, wasn't that some corporate move too? Also, she is not a trained HW, she wrote a few scrips and LEFT daytime for 20 years! Y&R was so screwed by having an amateur running this show. How soon we forget that Y&R experienced its worse ratings declines thanks to MAB and her "storytelling."

Ratings are threading back downward and Y&R is starting to even LOSE total viewers when compared to a year ago, this is NOT positive news.

But being the optimist you are about this show only, I'm willing to bet you'll be very optimistic should Y&R get a new HW and EP.

Y&R is no different from any other soap on the air now. I don't know how people that don't regularly watch the other soaps can claim this. Y&R is doing the same shock and awe type storytelling that ABC is popular for. You might see a little more vets, but a good amount of vets are also on the backburner on this show and have been so for a while now.

• Members

If they are gonna do sensational, emotionless storytelling coupled with tense BTS contract negotiations, they need to pry JFP away from GH and get her to at least carry out a vision of misogyny and violence we can all approve of. At least she'll make it look dark and moody. She may even be able to suggest to the writing team how to make these stories more sensational instead of just downright stupid and silly.

• Members

Yeah, we should have known how inept this woman really was when she wanted to showcase HUMOUR in a Emmy reel for Outstanding DRAMA Series. :rolleyes:

Not to mention, her and Hogan being Fi-Core writers screwed Y&R majorly within the industry. I wouldn't be surprised if that was behind the Emmy snubs and it's definitely behind the WGA snubs.

Y&R deserves someone that will bring it industry respect again, that is not Maria Arena Bell, Hogan Sheffer, or Scott Hamner.

Maria obviously does as she did nothing but make excuses as to why she picked the Emmy reel she did and why the show was snubbed. As long as she's there, the show's reputation in the industry won't recover.

• Members

Everyone does get the benefit of the doubt with me.

But I'm the wrong guy to discuss this. Though I understand the problems many of you are referring to, I rush home each day excited to see each episode, and for the most part I like what I'm seeing.

To be clear, last year when it was announced that Sheffer was coming to Y&R -- and even Rauch -- I was very concerned (given the state they left some of their last shows in). In both cases, relative to my expectations, I have been pleasantly surprised. So I think it helps that I started with very few hopes.

And, for the record, I was delighted when LML started. Knot's Landing was my addiction in the 80s. I was slow to come around, but I did eventually join the hate party.

• Members
Not to mention, if they did only want her to focus more on producing the material, at least let her have some sort of input(i.e., This is great, this SUCKS, we can work on this, etc.).

I've ragged on JFP alot over the years, but she knows how to make dramatic stunts work. Eden's Rape, MetroCourt, Hotel Fire, Serial Killers, Hospital Fire, GH and Nightshift-in-HD. If not for JFP, GH would have fallen apart the second Guza returned. And when JFP leaves, it will.

Archived