Y&R: Week of May 25, 2009

• Members

It's disgusting how they're trying to push this couple when they themselves have written Tyra as a homewrecker and Karen as the victim. Are we suppose to learn that people like Tyra always win?

Yeah. Giving a storyline to a character that we could care less about was stupid. They should have invested in those who are backburned for no apparent reason.

All of these families work and the reason why I tune in every day is mostly to see them.

• Replies 801
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't think introducing Nate would rev up the Winter's story at all, the way everyone in the Winters' sphere is utterly bland, Nate wouldn't be an exception.

Devon's background is a very troubled one. We should see his past influence his actions more so than they are right now. He has all the makings of being dynamic. He's simply been pushed into a corner by TPTB. I'd rather we see Devon lose his integrity and self-righteousness and descend into an impulsive jerk than to be introduced to a grown up Nate who'll magically cause all the problems in Genoa City.

Lily is a bigger problem. She has no backbone. And all of the trauma she's experienced has been wiped out from her memory so that she's still a weak, boring pretty girl. It's unfortunate that when the truth comes out about Cane, she'll "bawl" her eyes out and continue on making really bad decisions in her life.

I like Gil too and it would be the first time in a while to see the life of an ordinary blue-collared character on the show. I just don't think now is the time to do so. We all know MAB's favorites. I'd rather keep Gil in the background until he's developed in more capable hands.

• Members

I think it was the show's intention to make Karen the villian and Tyra the victim. We were supposed to think that it was okay for Tyra to steal Neil because Karen wanted to steal Ana from Tyra. They had Karen out of the blue want to adopt Ana and asking her to call her momma Karen. I still liked Karen more than Tyra.

• Members

So, I have also previously said Devon-Tyra-Ana should go...as recently as yesterday.

But, trying to be constructive, I think Ana should recede to the background (mentioned, not seen/heard). Tyra should be revealed as a super-villainess who engineered this whole situation to snag Devon's rich daddy. Where they go from there, I don't know...but Tyra as bitch-goddess could be a lot more interesting to me. (I realize others feel we don't need more criminals/villains on this show...and while I basically agree...if they don't do that with Tyra then I feel they need to ditch her).

I don't think we need a bigger cast. My own wish is that Devon would return as some one darker, angrier...truer to his background. Not a villain. He can remain the decent young man he is. But I'd like to see him smouldering.

I'd also like them to do one little piece of fiction that doesn't exist in the real world...but they should do it. Devon doesn't act like a hearing impaired guy. That cochlear implant does not restore hearing. He should be struggling to hear. Okay...so, let's make the cochlear implant just totally disappear. Let's send Devon out of town, and have him get a "rare, experimental, completely new, completely internal cochlear implant". So we don't see it anymore. Just forget that piece of sh!t. And then, the recast can return.

I actually like Bryton. I think he has skills! But he is boring to many people, and at this point I don't see much potential for making him darker and angrier. But maybe he should get a chance.

I already see having Neil working for Kay has improved nothing. She's still his "boss". He's still "beta", to quote someone yesterday. So, it is unfortunately that I do not see that ending. If they make Tyra a villain...that just continues his "beta" cycle.

After Cane betrays her, she needs to leave town to 'get her head together'. And then the fierce woman nu-adult-Lily must return (recast). She can't be like some of her previous portrayers...she needs to DRIP of that Parisian education and her high socioeconomic status....but she also can be angry and fierce and "no more victim".

I like the Fisher-Baldwins, but I realize that the sentiment is almost universally against them. So I am slowly coming to your opinion. To save them, they need to rest them. I'd specifically send Gloria away now (and, if I had my way, to B&B...but that's for another thread). Eden must go. I think that frees up Noah for an interesting second love.

Let's be frank, though. The writing is just yawn. Absolutely no energy, passion. We don't get to see what they're liking about each other. We don't see how he is the "anti-Victor" for her, and that's what she needs.

If MTS re-signs, let's hope they re-invest and strengthen this couple. It's hard to believe they may marry soon. Who cares?

Phick seems doomed. So, when that goes, RS can go, don't you think? A magazine that solely features townspeople is implausible...but when they brought in the real models/singers, it was just a bore. No way to win.

Yes, when that time comes, I agree. BUT...we don't need more characters now. We need fewer.

I also agree with rhythmchyc that Gil could be a nice addition to the canvas. He's already there.

• Members

I just can't wait to see Ford look at Lago with all that passion like he was the center of her universe. It was a beautiful scene. I can't wait for more Mac outside of Billy's black soul-sucking vortex.

If she was able to emote like that, then the last few weeks were intentional. At least I hope so.

I never liked Raul or the pronunciation but I love him now.

• Members

Yup.

Speaking only for myself, I was thrilled she came back, and I gave her a huge benefit of the doubt.

The worm turned, for me, when Drucilla died. NOTHING. She could muster NOTHING. In that time, her marriage was dissolving, her brother was coping with deafness (recently) and her mother died. And through it all, she was sweet and even. Uh uh. And unchanged by all of it. Uh uh.

The writing handed her a huge plate of emotional baggage...and she chose to feast on none of it.

• Members

I remember Sherwood's earrings hobby. That was cute and totally appropriate, a good thing LML did, I think.

But again, I wouldn't blame that on Christel. None of the young core characters have fleshed out except for the ones MAB likes.

I do agree that Christel is a nuisance but she wasn't nearly as bland when she was Kevin's victim and in the Romeo and Juliet storyline with Daniel.

Archived