Y&R: Week of May 25, 2009

• Members

Wow. Perfect, perfect description. And the honeymoon. Those bed scenes. MY GOD! Both of them grinning like fools, and Goddard trying his intense stare and showing off his armpit FOREVER...and the sticky fruit...I'm shuddering.

I'm still holding on to the bad-boy JT (who was the SALVATION of Glow-by-Jabot for me) and the Colleen who was his soul mate. I realize I'm stuck in the past. But you're right...this version of JT and Victoria can end. Me? I'd replace with Heather Tom tomorrow. Quickly split up Victoria and JT, and have Victoria win custody of Reed. An embittered, unemployed JT would then return to snarky donkey, and engage in self-destructive behaviors. Colleen (played by Lyndsy Fonseca or Adrienne Leon) would save him from himself.

You're right. This is a HUGE choice point. The last Joanne-Kay lesbianism thing almost tanked the show. Now, the world has changed, and we have some forebears on AMC, OLTL, GH, GL, ATWT...even Passions. But if Y&R starts to lose the stability it gained over the last few months, I could see a panic button being pushed.

• Replies 801
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

LMAO. They could likely use Mary Jane or Adam for a similar function, the way they are headed. But this description still has me giggling.

That's interesting. Are you saying AFTER the Dobson's left, SB reached its best? Do you know who was writing, then, during that period?

I guess Y&R is trying the 30-40% cost cuts for everyone. But I am 100% supportive of bringing down costs with cast cuts too. There are many people here on whom we seem to have widespread agreement.

I think the idea of negotiating contracts, too, where people get guarantees for PART of the year, and are essentially recurring for other parts of the year, could work too. Then you do concentrated storytelling, but you send folks off when they are lighter in story. But I recognize this makes storytelling very fragmented...like everyone is Anthony Geary. But something must be done with this huge and largely neglected cast.

• Members

Where exactly is she wasting money?

If you ask me Y&R is the only show left interesting in telling stories about people. The rest are traipsing from plot to plot with absolutely no interest in writing people with personalities or honest relationships. Yes, Y&R is plot heavy but the character interactions are so true to who they are I forget sometimes that the plot is moving along.

Or maybe a speck of gold really shimmers when surrounded by shite. Who knows?

• Members

Those were such coma-inducing sucky scenes just thrown in into an otherwise okay episode. Someone has a huge hard-on for that couple and it's killing every episode they're in.

• Members

Really? Really? Pratt? Really? I'm re-examining...

Yes, but many of the personalities on the list of cuts...Tyra, Ana, Devon, JT, Victoria...these people are now devoid of personality. These folks can go, and there would be little sacrifice to history, plot, or character. Victoria should be ESSENTIAL, but under Heinle she is not. Therefore, she can leave until they are ready again for a strong Victoria.

Really? I thought that couple COST most people their hard-ons ;)

• Members

Lots of SB fans consider the middle years to be SB's best, and the show won 3 consecutive Emmy's for Outstanding Drama Series, WITHOUT the Dobson's (well, they were kind of involved with the first infamous win). JFP was promoted during this time, SB was her first gig as an EP, she actually kept that show together when the Dobson's were ejected from power.

Jess Walton recently told Nelson, I believe, that Y&R's licensing fees were CUT, which tells me SONY is trying their best to make this show work on a tight budget. If money continues to be wasted, they'll have to stage some form of intervention.

Y&R, and B&B, have let go of many people in production over the past couple of months. Almost every department has felt the burden of the economic crisis. I see no reason the show can't operate with LESS writers and LESS actors. They have to pick and choose wisely though.

• Members

That's why most people were confused by his GH and now his AMC. Years have done a lot wrong to this writer, or maybe it is just network interference after all. We all know that Fronsie will put all the ABC soaps into the ground because he's working heavily on having his stamp on each of those shows.

Exactly!

• Members

Please God NO to Alisha Minshew, she's one of the reasons that I no longer watch the show.

Did you really have to rehash that awful honeymoon? Once was definitely enough.

I like your scenario of the bad-boy JT resurfacing otherwise he's about as bland as they come.

Archived