April 27 - May 1, 2009

Toups

• Members

I think the low ratings of Friday can be tracked to some of that, but I think it was more a weather thing.

The southeast was hit bad Friday with tornadoes and heavy rain. We got 6 inches of rain Friday. Across the south east there were almost 50 tornadoes in various states Friday.

As I said we didn't get any soaps at all. I think CBS showed some of theirs but ABC showed only about 10 minutes of AMC before the storms hit.

It was the first time in a long time that our tornado sirens stayed on almost all day.

There were just so many different states affected that I think it had a huge impact on the ratings.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well here in Kentucky....all the Louisville stations pre-empted programming all day last Friday because of the Kentucky Oaks races (the day before the big Kentucky Derby at Churchill Downs). I got lucky and was able to watch OLTL on the Bowling Green, KY ABC affiliate. And the Louisville channels cover southern Indiana and central Kentucky...so I'm not sure how many viewers that didn't get to watch their soaps here on Friday.

• Members

Steve, as usual, you definitely have some great points here.

I think the problem here is that without the Executive-in-Charge of Production position that the P&G soaps used to have, there isn't much Bloom can do to influence change over at ATWT other than threaten to pull the plug. Even then, I don't think Goutman would care. He just does whatever he wants.

The same applies to B&B. From what I've heard, Bradley Bell and Bloom aren't the best of friends so even there it's more like Bradley Bell can do whatever he wants. The days of people like Lucy Johnson at CBS are long gone. If MADD's position was eliminated in 2005, I don't think GL would have ever adapted that dreadful production model last year. I also think she would have booted DK and EW as HW and EP respectively.

• Members

I think OLTL has some good couples and stories, for one thing; there's very little positive to say about AMC, GH and ATWT. Also, the show seems more versatile to me when it comes to pulling out of or changing a bad story, or accommodating a fan response. They smoked Vanessa very quickly, and now

Lame Gigi and Rex scenes were also cut this week.

• Members

To me I think for ATWT esp. it is time to pull the plug.

It hurts to say that but the show has no dignity left at all. And it has so much going for it including more veterans and more history still in tact in its cast - something that makes what comes on screen even sicker.

I loved Goutman when he first got there just as I did Hogan. But both of them drastically changed ATWT into a show that it was not and since then it has gone further and further down hill.

I would almost rather they cancelled ATWT than they had GL.

• Members

It's a real role reversal. A few years ago, I could look at OLTL, be very sad, turn to ATWT and be very jealous. Even in Hogan Sheffer's later period, I felt it was one of the best soaps left. I hated that it was on next to OLTL and was so much better. Then, RC took over OLTL, I could be proud of my show again, and ATWT has had a swift demise since Jean Passanante took full writing reins and Chris Goutman burned out. It's as bad as it was pre-Sheffer, actually worse. Unrecognizable, with shoddy writing, characters, and extremely dodgy editing/plotting. Half the characters are interchangeable as well.

OLTL is in a bad place right now, but I still have bright spots on the show. ATWT has seemed unfamiliar for quite some time.

• Members

Tuesday and Today of ATWT wasn't that bad it was good, yesterday was better than monday tho, monday was ok but mostly boring. I really dont want the show to be cancelled I want it to get better and have very good ratings but no one does, everyone hates ATWT it seems. I like GL too it is written better but I cant stop watching ATWT, I watch both of them everyday and I wish they didn't cancel GL. ATWT is really bad at times like when they bring a new character on the show they turn out to be crazy and a killer. I hope when they are both off cbs they can be on a new network and be better written. I hope ATWT stays on cbs but that might not happen if it gets worse.

• Members

I totally understand where you're coming from. I too enjoyed ATWT when CG and HS arrived. The show was pretty good for a while. It did take home the Emmy for Outstanding Drama Series twice and I think for Writing too. I think Goutman is burned out and that's the problem. A new EP needs to come in and replace Passanante with a strong writer who understand the show's history, it's character's and it's audience. I think ATWT can be saved. They just have to get rid of a lot of the nonsense that's been going on in Oakdale. It will take some time. But with a good EP and HW and time, anything positive is possible.

• Members

GL beat AMC and OLTL in total viewers on Friday, woot!

As for wanting ATWT cancelled, no way! I feel the show is mostly back on track, and also, I would never wish cancellation on a show, even say a GH which I gave up on a decade ago, because I recognize that other people can derive great enjoyment from something which I don't.

• Members

Honestly, the hardcore drake/dee/mary/stephen fans were alreayd not watching because had all been cut down so much by the time they were fired. I think thats why the firings didnt hurt Days. I am shocked however they managed to go UP.

Its because the show finally, for the first time this decade really, is coheasive. it may not be steller OMG soap, but its steady. stories are in place, they are building up as they are moving on. they have a great balance of characters. are using core vets as major supporting players in storylines. and the lead characters are almost all 10+ year vets (Sami, Lucas, Chloe, Philip) or have strong ties (EJ, Stephanie).

IM just glad its up over last year. Last year was pretty bad. But IMHO Days deserves the ratings boost they have gotten. Im glad the fall wasnt by that much this week and hope it bounces back next. But as someone (SteveFrame?) pointed out May seems to dip in ratings for Days, i wonder why.

Hopefully they can maintain it and start to grow.

• Members

I just want to point out again that AMC is up from this time last year in total viewers.... ;) Not that they are great numbers, but you can't tell me that Pratt is a total failure and ruining this show.... unless you're just an upset fan who can't get over the fact that Zendall is OVER! :P

AMC is showing more vets now in storylines than they have in years!

• Members

I tuned back into GH last week because of the spoilers involving Michael. I also like Patrick. I'll probably stop watching again after the Michael return. At that time, it appears GH will return to murderers being written as heroes and all bad things being rewarded.

AMC hasn't been that bad, although I am one of those who is unhappy about Zach and Kendall. Part of that is I am very very tired of Ryan.

Archived