American Idol: Discussion Thread

Toups

• Members

"I'm sure Lee is a nice guy but he always seemed off-pitch to me, and like he wasn't quite sure why he was there."

+1 Nice guy, but I always got that impression too. When he won last night it almost seemed like it wasn't THAT big of a deal to him, I guess he was in shock. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think he's going to be one of the more memorable winners.

• Replies 643
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

"Guarini appeared late in season 2. He sang Unchained Melody, a day after Clay had sung it, so he was kind of overshadowed."

Wow, you'd think someone would have worked that out. :lol: That's Simon's favorite song too.

Was anyone else surprised to see how silly Simon was being in those skits?

• Members

I always hated the way they would mention that, especially Pauler. Any time someone auditioned with it, it was always "Ohhh, that's Simon's favorite song!" as Simon stands there with that perpetual sour look on his face. Were the contestants under more scrutiny because they had to make Simon like it or did they have it easy because it's Simon's favorite song, and therefore, he'll enjoy no matter how bad it's being sung? Always made me shake my head.

Anybody know if there's a complete list of who all took part in the all-star performance? Different places are saying that different people weren't there. Obviously, Phat Kracka wasn't in it, and I didn't see 'Tention Ho in there anywhere either, but they couldn't have been the only ones. Nine seasons of Top 12's means that 108 people were supposed to be on that stage (109 because of last season's Top 13), which, even without Dave and Adam, is...pretty gargantuan.

• Members
What?! Did you watch the same show as I did? :blink: It wasn't like he said, "Thanks Ryan... that's good to hear. Yay, for me. Bye."

Lee has been such a shy guy from the very beginning. Shy people have trouble showing emotions, especially on a stage like the Idols have been performing on for the live shows. To go up in the final and stand on that big stage with all those people in front of you must be pretty intimidating for anyone, and for Lee who's kind of been fighting to break out of all season. He improved so much during these live performaces. So when he realized he won the whole d*mn thing he was clearly in shock, got tears in eyes, had trouble forming a full sentence and basically had dificulties speaking.

I guess you have this opinion of him because he wasn't jumping up and down smiling and screaming? That was never gonna happen with Lee. He's unsure of what to do in certain situations. An obvious sign of this was when Ryan said his name and it hit him and didn't know what to do and looked over at Crystal. And later all he could say was "Oh my God" repetitively.

• Members

No, you're right, I should have worded that better Cheyenne. What I meant is that he wasn't as demonstrative, as outwardly ecstatic as other winners have been which isn't to say that it wasn't an honor to win, we all react differently. But what it speaks to is that *thing* Kara was always talking about, his inwardness that at times makes it hard for the audience to relate to him, the impression that they aren't invited in.

• Members

Yeah ok, I understand. But the reason he's reacting the way he does is because he's unsure kind of himself, a really shy person. That's not something you can get rid of in a couple of months. he's way more "open" now though compared to how he was in the beginning.

I think he's a perfect example of the average person, you know what I mean? And I do think many people "took him in" because perhaps they saw something in his personality they can relate to. :)

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Archived