American Idol: Discussion Thread

Toups

• Replies 643
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

OK, the performance of all the Idol winners (sans David Cook...what happened there?) and then so, so many Top 12 people. AMAZING. I don't even know what they sang or if they sung it good, I don't care. Just the fact that they assembled all of them up there for a song blew me away! And being able to spot old favorites (:wub: Michael Johns :wub:)! Good job, Idol.

And when did Janet Jackson become Diana Ross?

• Members

I'm loving the show! The best show of the year. Floved seeing Paula again. The show lost a lot with her not on this season. I think the song the Idol winners and runnerups sang was something like all as one....it was a good song.

I loved Janet's new song. She was a surprise to see. I was hoping to download the song on Itunes but it isnt available.

• Members

Crystal is unique. I've liked Lee from the beginning. I thought Crystal outsang him last night. Of course Lee was so nervous that he didnt shine like he did the week before. I think viewers wanted more mainstream artist in Lee. I shouldnt be surprised he won considering last year's winner.

• Members

It's annoying the way people are reacting to this on some boards. You'd really think they had a stake in whether or not Crystal would win this thing and they're seriously upset. Lee hasn't even done or said anything worthy of the stuff people are saying about him now. Jeez. I wasn't big on either one of them, so of course it don't make me no never mind.

And besides, any Idol watcher knows that you don't have to win the show to win the show.

• Members

Exactly. But you could feel in the air that they didn't really want him to take it. That's sad. I still think this was the most lackluster season of all time, and I really will miss Simon next year, just won't be the same. And if by any any ANY chance Perez Hilton is chosen to host, I will NOT be watching. I don't know how they're going to replace Simon, and they need a guy to even it out.

Did you all see that punk Ian Bernardo snatch the mic and make an ass of himself? Not that I didn't enjoy Dane Cook being silenced, but I can't stand that troll. Ugh.

• Members

Paula's speech was flat in spots but she was the highlight along with all the Cookless winners and others. I think this must be the first time Justin Guarini took the idol stage since he lost. Idol's mistake with Paula should be a case study because you see just like that how removing her crippled the show. They had a perfect formula with Paula doing her sweet insane critiques setting up Simon to disagree with her 100% and give his comments more impact. Then that opened up the bantering too. Without Paula they had Kara as the warm up and she tried too hard to dislike everyone and have a criticism, thereby neutering Simon and his slams. It just doesn't work. You can't have the badguy unless there is someone he dramatically contrasts with, and that was one of the reasons Paula was so crucial. I think that is apparent. Also the show lost the whole Simon vs Ryan thing where Ryan would set himself up with some metrosexual vague comment making himself look ridiculous so Simon had an entry to give a funny zinger. They lost that too. Instead they decided what made for good television was Kara and Ellen.

I thought Bowersox and Lee were equally dull and just looking at all the people on stage from previous years you have to wonder how the show that could cover all bases from Kelly to Sanjaya to Fantasia to all the people in between could have picked such a boring and so similar crew of one trick ponies who sing every song exactly alike and who get lauded for being so brave as to put down a guitar? Diana DeGarmo is persona non grata at AI for some reason, but there she was on stage and I was reminded that at one point even the losers tried to sell a song--and make sure you had fun instead of just being self-indulgent about how every song was the emotional center of their lives.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDEMC1LxtNI

• Members

Guarini was a sore loser, in his bio it's said that "A Moment Like This" was purposely written in a key better suited for Kelly's voice. I mean, even if that were true, must we say such things in our professional literature in order to prop ourselves? I had to chuckle when he and Clay and Rueben were on Oprah and some girl in the audience asked him how it felt to be "second fiddle" and you could tell that burned. :lol: He was like, "Does THIS [being on Oprah] look like second fiddle to you??"

• Members

Can I just say, YAAAYYY, LEE WON!! :D I have nothing against Crystal, except I think she thought she had it in tha bag for sure. And I liked her singing better in the beginning of the live performances. Lately she's been screaming too much. imo

Well, I'm just so glad Lee won. It was great to see him so emotional when Ryan annonced him as the winner!

The show won't be the same without Simon, it just won't. I wish it was randy who was leaving, can't stand that idiot!

I hope they bring someone on that's not so well known for the viewers... like Ellen. I think the jury memebers should be people who knows something about the music business, "behind the scenes people". Nothing against Ellen, I think she's the voice of those who know nothing or very little (like the viewers) about this business. But I do think the person sitting in "Simon's chair" next season should be someone who knows what he's/she's talking about...

I'll miss Simon on the show for sure! He got a nice tribute with Paula taking the stage, that last clip and all the Idols singing for him. :)

• Members

Guarini appeared late in season 2. He sang Unchained Melody, a day after Clay had sung it, so he was kind of overshadowed.

I'm sure Lee is a nice guy but he always seemed off-pitch to me, and like he wasn't quite sure why he was there. It has become just about impossible for a woman to win American Idol, due to the demos changing, but even if it was close, I think the show wanted Lee to win because he's probably much easier to control than Crystal. They did the exact same thing (suddenly criticizing him at the finale) they did with David Cook, whom they adored. What a surprise, they both won.

Archived