The Politics Thread

• Members

I do appreciate the lack of evasiveness compared to the way his campaign handled his stroke (which if not for the decent Democratic performance and Dr Oz being craven and smarmy, likely would have cost him the race), but I would agree. I've always been wary of Fetterman, and his supporters. I do feel bad for him, and also disturbed by the way the right have made his wife their new paranoid hate figure.

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

This man is a TRUE Christian. He may not have been the best president, but as a man and humanitarian, NO ONE can question his kindness and integrity.

I hope President Carter's final journey is a peaceful one. If this country had more people of his character in politics, the country would be far better off.

• Members

Special election for Virginia's 4th Congressional District,
for the U.S. House of Representatives.

Democrat Donald McEachin was reelected Nov. 8, 2022 but died Nov. 28, 2022.

Special election to replace him: Feb. 21, 2023.

Virginia State Senator (Democrat) Jennifer McClellan won.
She is the first Black woman to represent Virginia in the U.S. Congress.

https://apnews.com/article/russia-ukraine-virginia-state-government-north-carolina-2022-midterm-elections-richmond-b5a6fa87e084a575582885e1e5b5f72f

Edited by janea4old

• Members

The media cannot help themselves. 2 democrats and 2 GOPer's ran in the Wisconsin Supreme Court first round election. One of the democrats who was heavily favored and is well liked and well respected across the state,  Janet Protasiewicz, got 46% of the vote where the Trump ally, got half less than that. You'd think he won the election by this stupid framing in the article.  This is the one chance democrats have to turn things around in Wisconsin. Kelly who came in second in votes, lost his re-election to the court in 2020 to a liberal justice. Protasiewicz has a good chance of winning here. The liberal candidates got 54% of the vote.

Trump ally advances in Wisconsin state Supreme Court race (nbcnews.com)

• Members

I wanted to add that ... all the *headlines* about Jennifer McClellan are about her being the first Black woman elected to represent Virginia in the U.S. Congress. Virginia being brought into modern times is sadly noteworthy, but there is more to tell about her.

I had to read deeper in various articles to actually find more about her.

In her law practice she represents Verizon, so she recused herself when the Virginia legislature was working on telecommunications regulatory issues. The Virginia State Senate meets only part of the year, so she had been maintaining her other career as an attorney.  I don't know if she'll continue that after she begins serving in the U.S. House.

She's friends with Tim Kaine, and Kaine performed the wedding ceremony when McClellan married her husband.

And then, most importantly, I had to look up her stances and record on various issues.

Edited by janea4old

• Members

McClellan's victory was expected in the strongly Democratic Virginia 4th Congressional District, but its magnitude was even larger than had been predicted.

She won with more than 74% of the vote.
Her Republican opponent (Leon Benjamin) finished with under 26% of the vote, in his third consecutive race for the seat.

Benjamin issued a statement: "While we worked very hard to bring conservative values to the 4th District, we did not prevail in turning the district red."

https://richmond.com/news/state-and-regional/govt-and-politics/biden-calls-mcclellan-from-poland-democrats-turn-to-senate-race/article_e9b0ada0-b2ca-11ed-ab79-a33e68f63515.html

(I think the press probably knew McClellan's margin of victory would be that large, but wouldn't say it.)

Edited by janea4old

• Members

A few bullet points from an article:

President Biden has been in Ukraine and Poland this week. Biden called Jennifer McClellan from Poland to congratulate her on her winning a seat in the House.

She will be sworn in to the U.S. House at some point after the Virginia election results are certified.

McClellan informed the Virginia State Senate President Pro Tempore that she will resign her state senate seat by March 7, when the election results are expected to be certified, or when she is sworn in as a member of the 118th Congress, whichever happens first.

Virginia Democrats now focus on the race to fill her seat in the Virginia State Senate.  The date of the special election has not yet been set.

Whoever wins the special election could have to defend the seat in a second party primary later this spring in the new 14th Senate District, which the Virginia Supreme Court created in political redistricting last year. About 80% of the new district lies in Richmond, with the remainder in Henrico County, which has a larger share of the current 9th District.

https://richmond.com/news/state-and-regional/govt-and-politics/biden-calls-mcclellan-from-poland-democrats-turn-to-senate-race/article_e9b0ada0-b2ca-11ed-ab79-a33e68f63515.html

EDIT later to UPDATE:
The "firehouse primary" to fill her State Senate seat will be held Sunday Feb. 26.
The special election will be held Tuesday March 28.
https://apnews.com/article/politics-virginia-richmond-3cb3819f2b5785eb8df1f2a610cb73d8

Edited by janea4old

• Members

Count of US House of Representatives
for the session that began January 2023

Previous count:
Democrats 212
Republicans 222
1 Vacancy due to death 11/28/22.
(special election to fill it scheduled for February 21, 2023)

(A Democrat won the special election but is not sworn in yet)

Update March 2023 after the special election is certified and the new congresswoman is sworn in:

Democrats 213
Republicans 222

Ongoing question: Will they ever disqualify Santos?

Edited by janea4old