The Politics Thread

• Members

Fyi.  Matt Ashford (who plays Newspaper reporter publisher Jack Deveraux on DAYS)
has a daughter Grace Ashford who is a *real life newspaper reporter* for the NYTimes,
and she has written a series of at least 18 investigative reports into George Santos for NYT.
Her articles are here:
https://www.nytimes.com/by/grace-ashford

Click "show more" to go all the way back to her first article on Santos dated Dec. 19.
You can put each article's URL into https://archive.is to read it without a paywall.

Ms. Ashford's Jan. 5, 2023 report is a podcast.
To listen to Ms. Ashford's Jan. 5 podcast about Santos, 
go here without a login: https://tinyurl.com/AsfordSantosNYTpodcast
Of course that report is old news by now ... I simply found it interesting to hear her voice.

The rest of her reports are articles.

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

World news ... 
7.8 and 7.7 earthquakes near Turkey/Syria border (one in Turkey and one in Syria) and also large aftershocks, starting Monday Feb. 5 local time.
Over 3,800 people have died (in both countries combined) and the death toll is rising rapidly.
The World Health Organization says the death toll could possibly rise to as high as 20,000 people.
By the time you read this post, the info will be out of date.

Edited by janea4old

• Members

Biden's speech had an interesting strategy.
He started off with a lot of older more conventional Democrat values of the working class and labor unions and working families, social security, medicare, and the cost of prescriptions, etc.  He outlined all the bills that have been passed so far in his administration. And the fact that unemployment is at 3.4% which is approximately a 50-year low.  

After talking about all that for quite a long time, to get middle America listening, then he finally started talking about abortion rights, trans rights, climate change, and transforming policing.  I think all of that is dear to his heart and he usually talks about a lot of that right away.   But there was a tough room tonight, so he chose (or his speechwriter chose) to ease into it.

Edited by janea4old

• Members

I feel like the White House and the VP’s office need to do more to publicize initiatives like these because Lord knows the media cannot be relied upon to inform the public about these things.

Hopefully you all will be able to follow this link. Let me know if there’s a problem. I am testing this out.

public-private partnership to generate investments in northern Central America