Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

This is an interesting concept, although I am not crazy with the idea of this the amounts rising and falling with the fate of these businesses. OTOH Big Business usually tends to do very well financially and even when they don't, they have a propensity to bounce back quicker (depending on the industry, I guess).

The nature of a dividend-I guess that's why it's named as such.

What do you think of this @JaneAusten? I would be interested to hear what others think too @DRW50, @Vee, @marceline, if you feel so inclined.

• Members

I'll have to take a few to be able to give a more substantive response on that, @DramatistDreamer. I do think the pandemic has shown a lot of the public the urgency of a need for some sort of universal basic assistance, even if we're likely years from even considering properly adopting it in this country.

Meanwhile:

• Members

Cool @Vee. It's an interesting concept, that's for sure. The article did stipulate that it wasn't the same as UBI though, so it's definitely a concept I've never heard before.

On these programs that are up for debate/negotiation, those home health aides are incredibly low-paid, so I hope the ACA can at least have some funds that can help because it is immoral for those workers to work hard and continue to be so severely underpaid. In my area, the group home employees are on the verge of striking. It wouldn't surprise me if the home health aides were next.

• Members

Thanks for sharing that @DramatistDreamer.  Chicago Tonight is still a show worth watching and generally covers a wide variety of topics. I am actually pleasantly surprised they decided to cover this. This book was getting a lot of buzz in the local chapter of the LOWV a couple of weeks back.  There was a long discussion on their facebook page.

I think it's an interesting idea.  When I read about it initially on that facebook discussion thread, the oil royalty comparison was brought up and while the U of I professor in the video described that program differently, it seems in some ways the closest comparison.

I have to do more reading, but it's an interesting idea.  And the professor was in agreement about the wealth gap and the need for some sort of assistance.  But  I disagree with his position that the workers are consumers also so they get the value through their purchase power. There is a case to be made that businesses don't pay enough taxes to account for their fair share.

Richard Wolff who some think is a bit of an extremist has been writing about the labor force for the past several years and is convinced the unity they need to be a force in politics again has been reached. I guess time will tell, but the strikes we are seeing, the labor shortage, are all symptoms of no not being lazy but gaining power.

• Members

Thanks for providing background and context to this concept @JaneAusten.

Yeah, the insistence on reducing workers to consumers is... unsettling to me. I wonder whether, in the wake of these mushrooming strike actions, this stance will shift.  

I also feel as if I need to do a bit of reading on this topic. I'm really on a memoir/autobiography kick but maybe the next book I read should be a non-fiction book on  policy.

On the contempt of Congress charge for that crony of the former administration-- I need to see some demonstrable action before I get my hopes up.

• Members

If this is true, I really do loathe her and what she represents. She is not only hurting people, but she is demoralizing countless voters into believing the two parties are the same. I think if Democrats lose the majority in 2022, she is switching parties immediately.