• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

This is going to be the new normal.

I am aware it has been 'normal' for many in this country for a long time now, so that is poorly worded, but I'm worried about just how much further it's going to keep going. 

The Glenn Greenwald types who have so much influence keep berating and hectoring the idea of a new domestic terrorism bill and comparisons to 9/11. I understand some of the wariness, especially with how the Patriot Act ended up being used, but it's going to get to a point where what happened at the Capitol is going to seem like child's play. 

• Members

^ regarding that ...  When Twitter made their Jan 8th blogpost saying why they were suspending Trump permanently, one of the things they mentioned was this:
"Plans for future armed protests have already begun proliferating on and off-Twitter, including a proposed secondary attack on the US Capitol and state capitol buildings on January 17, 2021."
https://blog.twitter.com/en_us/topics/company/2020/suspension.html

Edited by janea4old

• Members

I just have to say, I'm tired of all these individuals (including my own damn mother) who worry that all this banning and deplatforming encroaches upon freedom of speech.  People really do not understand how the First Amendment works anymore, do they?

Edited by Khan

• Members

These people don't actually care about freedom of speech. They are happy to oppress other people who don't share their views. 

Even Angela Merkel, who decided to make Trump a martyr today, presides over stringent laws against free speech. Yet suddenly she is upset.

• Members

The First Amendment would be a contradiction if it mandated what private companies could do. We have a free market and the companies who have taken action against violent speech and incitement are fully within their legal rights. Social media has banned people for far less anyway.