The Politics Thread

• Members

Speaking of the above:

There's no way this isn't going to end in wide-scale violence. There have been too many narrow escapes recently. 

The PA stuff from Gingrich reminds me of 2012 when the GOP tried to claim Philly cheated and that's how Obama won. I guess they know how the setup goes. 

The Texas info is interesting as pundits (admittedly they are somewhat right-leaning) like Dave Wasserman have mentioned how the early vote numbers are much stronger in Trump 2016 counties, and also there are articles about Beto and Julian Castro being angry Biden isn't doing more. I never thought Texas would flip, but I hope that the rush of Trump support we're seeing that was inevitably coming through much of the country as we get closer to Election  Day doesn't mean there is no chance they take back the Texas house.

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Sadly, there have always been threats against the lives of prominent Black people, particularly those doing the important work of social justice in this country. Thankfully, at least the FBI is determined to do its job despite the obvious lack of support from the White House.

• Members

Compared to the new astronomical COVID-19 infection rate numbers? I think more people/voters will be focused on this. The infection rates are at a new high, which is alarming and all but completely impossible to ignore. Also, there is more awareness of the destructive effects of climate change than even a few years ago. Just yesterday, I saw an interview with a farmer who openly discussed the effects of climate change on his farm. A couple years ago, most farmers would never publicly utter the words "climate change" but they are now because their farms are being ravaged and Trump's subsidies have mostly gone to farmers connected with agribusiness, i.e. wealthy farmers.

Odds are that the focus is on the new COVID-19 numbers and the current surge. We all know that the media can only really focus on one thing, especially these days.

Do you remember where that voter lives? 

I suspect that the number of people who feel the same way are legion.

• Members

For what it's worth. I guess if Lindsey loses his seat, he can join Jeff Sessions as one of the ones who was discarded by the GOP after they had no use for them.

One of the few times I have laughed at Trump.

Edited by sivad40

• Members

Not to mention, that COVID-19 has really begun to hit those areas very hard (S. Dakota, Iowa, Wisconsin, Kansas and even some parts of Nebraska). I wonder whether there will be a higher regard for science going forward. Some farms have begun to employ science and technology to help their farms run but those seem to be comprised of younger, mostly college-educated farmers.

• Members

Lauren Underwood who I volunteered for in 2018, talked about it when I first met her   in 2017.  Her district was lean red and covers a lot of rural areas. She spent a lot of time in 2018 doing townhalls across the district, including a lot of farm communities. She said one of the biggest topics in those farm community townhalls was climate change. I admit I was surprised because rarely is there any press or media coverage of climate change as it relates to rural America.  She repeated what so many farmers told her. "We know because we live this every day".  

• Members

Rep. Underwood has been so impressive in just her first term!

Yeah, I got the distinct impression that the farmers knew what was at the root of their problems but didn't dare speak its name aloud, for some reason. That's why I was somewhat taken aback at hearing a farmer say the actual words.

• Members

Exactly. Just because some of these Republicans do the decent thing every blue moon, it doesn't change who they are at heart. It's like the Lincoln Project. Yes, I'm enjoying them and the way they are screwing with the Trumpers right now. When this is over the people involved will go right back to being Republicans. It makes me cringe when political twitter hero worships any of them too much.