The Politics Thread

• Members

Why not?  What exactly have they done in terms of voter suppression since 2016? Abrams started an organization as did Jason Kander. Holder has been working on gerrymandering but what exactly has the DNC done for African Americans, particularly women? Nothing.

Edited by JaneAusten

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

@Khan Just out of curiosity, how do you find black women to be responding to Kamala Harris? If there's one thing we've seen in the last few years, it's that the strength and power of black women voters should not be ignored. I'm not sure Kamala is connecting with them though, and I think we have the attacks against her prosecuting history to thank for that bias. 

@JaneAusten I'm hoping for a Kamala comeback too. I'm probably just about the only person in Madison Wisconsin right now proudly displaying a Kamala bumper sticker on my car, because I'm just "meh" about the top 4.  Of the top 4, I'd choose Elizabeth Warren first, but I too am having doubts that she'll be electable enough down the line to defeat Dump. 

A couple months ago, wasn't there whispers that the Trump team were nervous about Kamala being the next Obama? She stumbled with Tulsi's jab towards her, but I have good feeling she'd wipe the floor with Trump if they were the two going head-to-head. 

Edited by Gray Bunny

• Members

@Gray BunnyNo offense, but you should really be asking a Black woman that question of whether Black woman are responding to Harris.

I don't expect most people to know the answer to that question because frankly, the media seems indifferent to reporting on this, though black women have been proven to be the most consistently reliable voter among the Democratic base.

Like Obama, a lot of black women are wary of whether the overall Democratic party would vote for her but this may give some indication of how Harris is being received.

• Members

I don't think people in the party would vote for Trump. But the moderates and independents we need in the EC states definitely would.

Except if she tries to tack to the center her base will revolt. This is why I say she will lose. She's not a coalition candidate. She's the exact opposite. If we run her then not only will we lose the White House she'll destroy us downballot.

• Members

Exactly.  The DNC has done nothing to address our growing concerns about voter suppression in this country, especially in regards to how it has affected the downballot races in the Southern states.  They're too focused on winning or winning back a section of voters (the WWC who voted for Trump in 2016) who are not coming back to the party (and who we really didn't need to begin with).

IA.  I'm not a Black woman, so I don't feel qualified to answer your question, @Gray Bunny.  But I do agree that the falsehoods about her prosecuting career are hard to correct and/or overcome in many voters' minds.  That, and the Bidens' alleged connections to Ukraine, are the "BUT HER EMAILS!" of 2020.

Donna B. could wipe the floor with Trump.  It's not that hard.

And if/when THAT happens, then it's over.  Our generation and the next will have to live with whatever damage the GOP exacts upon us all over the next four years and beyond.

• Members

The medicare for all plan by Warren is problematic, because it does increase middle class taxes and what is left of the middle class can't afford that. People simply aren't going to buy that the tax increase is really a savings because you aren't paying for private health insurance anymore. That is an extremely tough sell for voters. Out of who is left, I think Biden and Harris have the best chance of winning (Biden provided that he can stay on track and avoid unforced errors).

• Members

Sherrod Brown has been making the talk show rounds with the release of his book and he's been getting asked about M4A. He's not really a supporter of it. I like his ideas. 

Protect and shore up the ACA

Add a public option

Let people sign up for Medicare at the age of 50 or 55

Let the government negotiate drug prices the way it already does for the VA.

All of that will get us closer to Universal Health Care way faster than tearing everything up and trying to implement M4A.

• Members

it's such a jumbled mess right now, I don't know at this point what it will take to make it bounce back in a positive form. as marceline said, her very liberal base would revolt if she started going back on her promise for the legislation. she married herself to it so strongly and wouldn't budge on it, that for some she may have came off as inflexible, and if she came off that way for this.....it gives way to a thought process that she will believe something and dig her heals in, and let the consequences be damned.....which make her sound like someone we all know and loathed.