Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Another example of just how poorly Chuck Todd continues to do his job. It's good that Rep. Jim Himes corrected him.  Some are calling this a rant, but I don't agree with that. Himes seemed perfectly rational in his assessment of the situation and he laid it all out there in an even-keeled methodical way.  If he had been less impassioned, these same people would have claimed that he was being professorial and removed, the way they often accused Obama of being.

• Members

https://www.politico.com/news/2019/11/11/deval-patrick-democratic-primary-2020-069535

I know the field isn't that good but I don't understand all these candidates jumping in way too late. I don't have anything against Deval Patrick but does he actually think he will manage to do well this far into the game? He's just going to be in the same divided pool of voters as about 7 other candidates. 

• Members

After gushing interviews from the likes of CBS, media pet Nikki Haley has, surprisingly, been getting a real roasting in the press today, including from unlikely sources like Joe and Mika and (of all people) Savannah Guthrie. I think she expected to be able to thread the needle - coasting on the longtime press goodwill and also managing to maintain the support of Trump and his dead-eyed sycophants. 

The most interesting part is many of his true believers still don't like her and still don't trust her. They too see her for what she is - a worthless opportunist. 

I think what so many of these husks don't understand is that Trump's true believers aren't just playing along - they are serious in what they feel and what they want. They have been emboldened and they aren't going back. 

We saw this again recently with a new nationalist group (not really new - just going by a new name) who showed up at events headlined by Dan Crenshaw, Charlie Kirk and Ben Shapiro, so-called "reasonable" or "intelligent" conservatives who have tried to have it both ways. This group is hardline anti-Semetic and showed up to try to push about backing away GOP support for Israel. They aren't putting up with mealy-mouthing or it's-all-down-to-the-libs anymore. 

This same group recently crashed Don Jr's little "triggered" cash grab, demanding open Q&A sessions and running him and his trophy girlfriend off the stage.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/nov/11/donald-trump-jr-walks-out-of-triggered-book-launch-after-heckling-from-supporters

Once all these con artists have decamped (or gone to prison, or what have you), the increasingly virulent fringe right they helped create will be left behind, continuing to push their tentacles out further and further into society. 

Edited by DRW50

• Members

Right Wing distraction 101. Fox News has to have something else to primarily focus besides the Trump part of the impeachment hearings. For the record, I'm not planning on watching any of the hearings (unless I'm somewhere where the hearings are being televised and I can't avoid it).

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2019/11/11/supreme-court-hears-daca-challenge-700000-dreamers/2533001001/

Trump is willing to make a "deal" when the SOCTUS sides with him over DACA. 

• Members

I agree.  And the people shrugging their shoulders at this as if it was understood need to understand that this is often the reason why marginalized people feel the need to iterate and reiterate how awful and disgusting these types of things are, the horrifying nature of this cannot be overstated and it should never be shrugged off. 

• Members

People are always talking about how the Dems should reach out to but let's be clear about something: outreach takes money. A lot of the same people who want to know why we aren't reaching out to one group or another will then turn around and demand that candidates and the DNC don't take corporate or PAC money. We can't have it both ways.

• Members

That the Republicans are not trying to reach is not at all shocking. They're not even trying to pretend and have clearly dispensed with the "model minority" distinction-- they pretty much view any non-white groups as potentially disloyal and quasi-enemies.  

Just a few days ago, Trump was trying to pretend as if his fake overtures to African Americans were worth anything with that sham gathering in Atlanta on Friday.  Today, one of his key advisers has been publicly exposed as a white supremacist (for the people in the back who weren't paying attention).  How's that going to square with his pretend overtures?