The Politics Thread

• Members

Welcome to the boards. 

I try to be a lot more cordial usually, but from time to time I get a little ornery when folks only seem to show up to remind us to be civil to people who are part of a system that would never return the civility and break every rule of engagement in the process. It gets more than a little tiresome.

I actually once heard someone telling people not to 'fat-shame' Trump when he called a woman "Miss Piggy" for months. 

Civility is not supposed to be a one-way street. 

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Tonight's debate was a whole lot more coherent and substantive (still some questions that the moderators failed to ask though), probably because there was about 1/2 of the candidates on the stage that were there previously. 

Also some protesters interrupted Joe Biden just as he was answering one of his the final questions.

• Members

Thanks. I lurk here a lot because you all come up with really interesting links but I don't feel informed enough to post much. I've been on a media and news blackout because I'm so disheartened with the state of things. But some recent right wing f#ckwittery in Australia has got my blood boiling and I'm engaging again.

• Members

I would have made her come back down and mop up every bit of her "menstrual blood."  Then, I would have hauled her ass off to jail.

Ironically, I read an article today in The New Yorker -- yes, I read TNY, shut up -- about the effect the anti-vaccine movement is having on the rate of measles vaccinations in this country, particularly in areas where people are more susceptible to believing all the innuendo about their effects on children.  Basically, the article says, public health officials have to treat the movement the same way in which they treat the disease: as an actual disease that itself needs "vaccinations." 

That means dividing anti-vaxxers into two categories: those who are "hardcore" and are resistant to any education on the subject (basically, the ones who make it necessary for the rest of us to be vaccinated, and promptly); and those who are "vaccine-resistant," that gray, in-between area, where they might be okay with giving their kids the shots, but who remain concerned nevertheless.

Frankly, public health officials have enough on their hands trying to keep measles (and other diseases) in containment status.  They have neither the time nor the resources to beat back all the loons who still believe vaccines contain dead baby parts and can cause autism.

Edited by Khan

• Members

This is blowing up, first because of NYT burying the lede in the story and poorly phrasing their headline (couching it as college hijinks and suggesting a strange penis in the face is 'harmless fun') before retracting it and apologizing, and now because the real story indicates more allegations against Kavanaugh:

• Members

God.  That POS B**** K******** is back in the news.  It's like watching a sequel to a movie you didn't like in the first place.  I wish he would just spare himself, his family and the rest of the country the agony and resign.

Edited by Khan