Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

To call this a "Longread" seems like a massive understatement.  It is a highly granular, detailed and lengthy account of the ties between Tulsi Gabbard and the right-wing Hindu nationalist party.  It begins with the origins of the RSS that had roots in fascism and even admiration of aspects of Nazism, it's spread the Indian diaspora outside of the continent, up to Modi's rise in Indian politics and how it intertwined with Gabbard's development in a Hari Krishna sect and her political rise and cultivation of as well as reliance on a network of Hindu nationalist donors.

This article references an article that was published in the Intercept several months ago (which, I read, I believe it was the Intercept anyway)  but this article is far more detailed, some might say exhaustively so.

I read the entire thing, likely because of my interest in world politics, particularly in the Caribbean, Latin America and the Indian Subcontinent but to others who may not want to read the entire thing, the author has a series of subtweets that seem to highlight the important aspects of the article.

• Members

Jim Sensenbrenner is outta there. 

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/09/04/republican-jim-sensenbrenner-wont-seek-reelection-1481765

Back in the days of the Bush administration he was something of a bogeyman for Democrats at places like Daily Kos, which seems like a lifetime ago. I remember someone there who lived in his district and was a very active protester for many causes. He passed away a while back, but wherever he is now I think he'll be pleased. 

Susan Davis is also retiring.

https://www.politico.com/states/california/story/2019/09/04/california-democrat-susan-davis-wont-seek-another-term-1168795