The Politics Thread

• Members

It's amazing how the U.S. media is neglecting to report the massive failures of the Trump administration on the international stage. 

The 2018 APEC Conference just concluded and for the first time since 1988, the participants weren't even able to summon enough agreement to craft a joint statement.  The reason-- the U.S. and China and what some are referring to as an increasing Cold War.

Ever wonder why there is virtually no news on the so-called U.S./North Korea summit relations?  Because it's not going well.  At all.

Not to mention the fact that, according to reports, Trump is refusing to even listen to the evidence that implicates KSA crown prince MbS.  Trump claimed that this arms deal was going to be 'yuge' but to this day, there has not been one completed deal between the U.S. and KSA.  Not. one.

Oh and what about that Middle East peace deal?  How's that going? Weren't Jared and MbS supposed to craft some sort of new New World Order of peace and prosperity (namely for their own family's fortunes)?    It seems stalled, at best, to me.

Let's not even get into Europe.  Or Canada.  Or...sigh...Latin America.

If I didn't read/watch international news, I swear, I'd know nothing of any of this!

On the domestic front...

There's been a turkey salmonella outbreak going on for about a year now, announced just in time for Thanksgiving...Gobble Gobble!

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I've seen some articles about China/US relations and the Saudi stuff, but it does get much less coverage than things like how Trump called Schiff "Schitt" and the latest power struggles in the White House. In the case of North Korea I think it's because the media don't want to admit they also got badly played - by Trump as well as by North Korea (who also played Trump of course).

I read that Cuba's leader was recently feted in North Korea. Media darling Marco is all over that I'm sure.

It seems fairly obvious things are going to get really bad on multiple fronts soon, and the media won't want to talk about that, because to them it's boring and it won't get ratings. Most of them hate America anyway, aside from the pleasure they get at sneering at the yokels and the liberals. 

For all their dogged efforts to stop Democrats from winning the House, they are clearly gleeful about having Pelosi to kick around again, and also to get to obsess over anything and everything with Alexandria Cortez (who seems more than happy to be in the media spotlight anyway). They will make Democrats responsible for any ills in this country over the next 2 years, and idiots will be happy to go along.

Edited by DRW50

• Members

Ben McAdams has regained the lead in the UT-04 count, which looks to be winding down. There are still some ballots to look at, but not sure it's enough to help Love. If he wins that will be #39.

Meanwhile, back in California, GOP Congressman David Valadao's lead has steadily shrunk with each slow update. He's now under 1,000.

If he wins that will be #40. 

(big IF for either of these men, of course) 

I hope they get to 40, as it's a nice round number...all the better for the GOP, the media, and sellouts like James Carville to choke on. 

If Cox wins, that is 7 California seats lost in one cycle. That is a decimation. And those seats will be very expensive and very difficult to get back, which means a 7-seat firewall the Democrats did not have before now. 

Kevin McCarthy threw his own state delegation to the wolves in his fruitless quest to be speaker. It is just so, so good. 

Edited by DRW50

• Members

He's so stupid, it is literally beyond belief. I wonder if he ever uses his "google machine"? Yesterday, he was blabbering on about how Finland manages their forests so much better, and have almost no fires... guess what, Einstein?  90% of Finland gets between 24 and 35 inches of rain a year.... how many inches does Malibu get on average? TWELVE. 

Edited by alphanguy74

• Members

Sherrod Brown doesn’t represent me and Marceline can likely share a lot more about him, but an interesting topic the last few days about comments Brown made about the Abrams race in Georgia. I have to say he didn’t let weasel Chuck Todd get away with his usual finger wagging at democrats for using the word “stolen”.

I bring this up because there was a battle on social media the past couple of days at why and why not the term #stolenelection may or may not be appropriate when referring to the election. A debate between Richard Hasen and Charles Pierce.  Me, Brown is right and Abrams is right.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2018/11/georgia-stacey-abrams-brian-kemp-election-not-stolen.html

https://www.esquire.com/news-politics/politics/a25224334/sherrod-brown-stolen-election-georgia-brian-kemp-chuck-todd/

Edited by JaneAusten

• Members

Were Chuck Todd and the usual pretentious types at Slate out there saying this about media darling Marco? 

Oh wait, they only care when a Democrat says it. 

Sherrod Brown is right. They don't want to admit it because it upsets their narrative.

• Members

Every once in awhile some twitter famous nerd espouses the idea that we are living in a computer simulation.  Usually I roll my eyes at that kind of self indulgence. Then things like this happen and I think they must be right. This reality is a simulation designed to see how much idiocy we can take before we breakdown.

• Members

Yesterday, I very nearly posted a tweet by Maggie Haberman where she was trying to amplify that very same concept by retweeting some ridiculous opinion piece from Slate.

Why do these people only lecture Democrats and/or liberals to shrink from using language that is direct and bracing, while merely mentioning the abrasive, often insulting tones of Republican/Trumpists in the most matter-of-fact tone possible?  Why no lecture for the Trumpists? 

I thought better of posting anything that Haberman tweets because by now, we all know what she's all about and frankly, I'm tired of her 'access journalism'.

Edited by DramatistDreamer