The Politics Thread

• Members

The other side is claiming victory because they increased their numbers the Senate (Newt  Gingrich gave Trump an A+ when he compared to the GOP  midterm House losses compared to what Clinton and Obama lost in the midterms) so they can pack the courts with conservative judges, won some governorships  in the Northeast, and beat they Beto, Gillom, and Abrams. The Senate can vote down and Trump can just veto anything the House passes. Trump can just blame the House if the economy starts to slow down.

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Do you really care what Newt Gingrich says? Does anyone? They just lots his Congressional seat. 

If the big claim to victory is +1 or +2 on a blood red map and beating people in Texas and Georgia, then they are admitting they have nothing to say. 

Trump and the media will blame the House for the economy, and everything else, but still, it counts as a win. 

Edited by DRW50

• Members

You know (maybe you do now) I don't care what Newt says but at least 40% of the country cares and they get their talking points from him and the rest of the conservative media like Fox News and talk radio. I go back and forth with conservatives on another board and that's the talking points that they are using.  The GOP would see it as a victory if it was a 50/50 split in the Senate with Pence being the tie breaking vote. The more Democrats in the Senate will give Senators like Susan Collins less of a cover when it comes to voting anti GOP legislation.  

I know the Democrats being in control of House makes a big difference , and the GOP does too despite whatever the media says. It's the reason why he fired Sessions (and to change the narrative of the GOP losing the House), removing Rosenstein from overseeing the Mueller investigation and is making these moves to derail the Mueller investigation during this lame duck session of Congress before the  the Democrats take over the House. 

Rosenstein, with the confidence of a Dem house behind him, could have felt comfortable releasing very damning Mueller related info that would have spilled over into congressional investigations.

If the GOP won the House, none of this happens and the GOP Congress can continue to erode the investigation from the inside out.

• Members

Right now we are a perfect example of this. It's now been two months since our election and we still have no new government, because the parties, especially the Centre Party and the Liberals, are clinging to the Alliance with the Christian Democrats and the Moderate Party despite it being impossible for them to get a majority without turning to the right-wing Swedish Democrats, which the Liberals and the Centre Party have sworn they will never do. It's like they are burying their heads in the sand and refusing to face up to the actual election results.

Please register in order to view this content

The Social Democrats have repeatedly invited them to talks about working together, but they keep repeating, like parrots, that a four-party Alliance government is their first choice. Meanwhile the political life here is at a stand-still and it's becoming more and more ridiculous. It's time for especially Annie Lööf, leader of the Centre Party, to face up to the fact that if she wants to keep the Swedish Democrats from having any influence, which is what she has stated over and over, then a coalition with the Social Democrats is the only way, unless she wants to force us into a new election process. And the only thing that that would accomplish would almost certainly be that the Swedish Democrats would increase.... Time to grow up and face the reality Annie!!  

• Members

We have the House, we picked up 300 state legislature seats, a bunch of AG seats and seven governorships.

The Republicans have abandoned the drive to "repeal and replace," the state seats mean we've shut down progress towards the constitutional convention that the Kochs have been drooling over. Tuesday was very good for us.

As for Mueller, the "Junior is about to get arrested" feels like fanfiction. I do believe that we will see some indictments unsealed very soon.

• Members

I’m really interested in what’s happening there and if you have a good legit source you can suggest I’d love to read it.

Its my ignorance I know but why couldn’t they still do a 4 party alliance . They should meet with the social democrats right? What good does not meeting do?

• Members

It looks like this site https://www.thelocal.se/politics could be a good start.

The 4 party alliance that they want (The Moderate party, the Christian Democrats, the Centre Party and the Liberals) doesn't have enough seats in parliament to be able to rule. They even have one less seat (143) than the left (the Social Democrats, the Green Party and the Left Party) which has 144. You need 175 seats to have the majority.

The Sweden Democrats have 63 seats, so with their support the Alliance could have the majority, and while the Moderate Party and the Christian Democrats have hinted that they're willing to rely on them for support the Centre Party and the Liberals have categorically refused to consider that. But at the same time they (especially the leader of the Centre Party, Annie Lööf) has insisted that their first choice remains a government consisting of the 4 Alliance parties. How they will make that work is beyond me though. There's been some talk that Lööf wants to try and entice the Green Party away from their collaboration with the Social Democrats, but even with their support the Alliance won't have a majority. And since the Sweden Democrats view the Green Party as one of their main foes, due to the Green Party's immigration-friendly stance, such a government would stand no chance in parliament.

To me the only solution (other than a new election, which would solve absolutely nothing) is a coalition with the Social Democrats, the Green Party, the Centre Party and the Liberals. They wouldn't have a majority, but would almost certainly be able to rely on support from the Left Party, even if it might be passive support.

One can only hope that these supposedly grown up people will stop behaving like obstinate children soon and face the facts and deal with them accordingly.

• Members

I have no use for any of the media or press highlighting this. They were complicit in spreading this lie, pushing Obama to the point where he had "show his papers" and giving this lie about a sitting president oxygen. They can all f-off.

I think a lot of people are missing and don't understand the importance of picking up those governorships as it relates to the convention. 7 is a big fricking deal and in places like Wisconsin and Kansas especially.  And both Walker and Kobach arrogant enough to think they'd win. Walker got a recount law passed after the last recount that ended up biting him in the *ss. He couldn't ask for a recount because of it. Karma

And Kobach the arrogance.  This article says it all.

https://www.kansascity.com/news/politics-government/election/article221350970.html

Edited by JaneAusten

• Members

Gillum and Abrams' contests are far from over since they have gained votes and there being thousands of ballots left to be counted. and......a bill has to make it to the Senate by way of the house.  he once had free reign.....it is now DONE.

Florida facing unprecedented three possible statewide recounts. Some counties -- Palm Beach, for one -- have equipment that does one recount at a time. State says deadlines can't be extended and if a county misses it state law says its votes are to be "ignored"

• Members

People like me get so caught up in what's happening here, in the U.S., that it's easy to forget how other countries are also going through enormous social and political turmoil.

Honestly, is there ANY country right now that's doing reasonably well?