The Politics Thread

• Members

The media wants Republicans to win. It's easier and safer for them - it's a comfort blanket. They have declining influence but still too much. The far right always turns out the vote. I think in my lifetime as a voter they have only stayed home, sort of, once or twice, at most. This is one of the reasons I have assumed all along Republicans will keep Congress. It's going to be a kick in the stomach, but at least it's one I will expect. 

I'm sure you have also noticed the sharp increase in articles telling us over and over that Democrats will spend this and that amount of time investigating Trump if they win. This is a way to remind voters that Democrats have an agenda and don't care about the country.

• Replies 42k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Very likely but there is one thing that's different about this. The American Bar Association, the Jesuits, Yale Law School (Kavanaugh's own alma mater), the National Council of Churches, more than 1,700 law professors across the country, and now even a former SCOTUS justice all have come out against Kavanaugh in one form or another and yet, the GOP has told them all to [!@#$%^&*] off. They've disrespected a lot of people on their own side. These aren't liberals. These are people from across the political spectrum. Sexual assault allegations aside, his performance in the hearing was a dealbreaker for a lot of people.

• Members

Earlier today, I saw a meme that asked the question: "Why does the GOP want to die on this hill?"  "This hill," of course, meaning Kavanaugh.  And, you know, I've wondered that myself.

As I've said before, even if Kav were to withdraw, or if the SJC were to reject his nomination, there's still an open SCOTUS seat to be filled.  There's no getting around that OR that the Senate and WH will see to it that it's filled by a conservative.  Kav's not being there will not change their long game one iota, so why do they hold onto him?

I've heard the argument, "Well, they want Kav, because they know the President will be safe from prosecution."  But is Kav really the ONLY judge on their short list who stands between Trump and impeachment proceedings?  Do they think no other conservative-leaning judges will get in Mueller's way?

And it can't be that they're afraid of what their voters will do either, because -- and I could be wrong here -- their voters will forget all about Kav as soon as they see the SJC nominate another, right-leaning judge to fill that vacancy.   Even they know that that, and not defending Kav, is what's most important here.

So, again, Why. Brett. Kavanaugh.

Edited by Khan

• Members

This one is simple: Because Kavanaugh has stated sitting presidents should not be troubled by investigations against them while in office. There is also the related matter of an upcoming case on the docket about overturning an old law of being able to file state charges if federal charges are pardoned, as an example.

Does that cover it?

• Members

Well, it does except, I've already brought up and refuted that argument above.

Again, the GOP doesn't need Kav to overturn that case OR spare any sitting presidents from investigations and/or criminal prosecutions.  I believe there are several judges on their list who lean the same way.  It's just Kav was probably more candid about his position.

Meanwhile...

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/04/technology/facebook-kavanaugh-nomination-kaplan.html

You know...as strange as this might sound...I feel like Kav will end up doing more damage to this nation's unity than even Trump.

Edited by Khan

• Members

Oh, and I have to thank Darn for posting that clip of Bianca's coming out in the AMC thread.  In particular, Bianca's talking to Erica about how she got drunk and tried to make out with the captain of the boys' soccer team rather than disappoint her mother for being gay...well, it just sounded SO familiar.

Please register in order to view this content