Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Sen. Susan Collins, R-Maine, voted to end debate, but said she will announce her final position on whether to confirm Kavanaugh on Friday afternoon.

Girl, BYE.

The nomination now hangs on the decisions of Collins, Murkowski, Flake and Manchin.

#FFFFFcuked

"Any human being who has been falsely accused of a range of things including gang rape has a right to be upset, has a right to be angry [...]."

-- WH Water Carrier Spokesperson Kerri Kupec

"Unless that human being is of color. Then, they're 'straightaway dangerous -- and handled with a Chain --'."

-- Me (by way of Emily Dickinson)

They're like Agnes Nixon: "make 'em laugh, make 'em cry, make 'em wait (for the inevitable)."

Edited by Khan

• Members

Except, at least with Nixon, the majority of people who've waited on her are more likely to have a satisfying ending.  Can't say the same for these folks.  They're the Carlivatis and Mal Youngs of the world.  Making people hang on (those who haven't yet cut bait and given up), only to leave people flat, bewildered, if not out and out alienated and angry.

Good at what they do, they are not.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

I thought about you when I read this article.  I learned about this in a Black Studies course I took in college but I realize that the majority of Americans don't know anything about this event.

It ties into my thoughts earlier this week when I read an article about the abysmally low voting rates in the U.S. and how it used to be much higher until 1900 when the rates fell.  I thought about the fact that the Reconstruction period was a time of high voter engagement among blacks, when many ran for and were voted into public office and how this resulted in economic success for blacks who created areas like 'Black Wall Street' and how it was destroyed by terrorists, who the government did nothing to stop and actively helped. 

The legacy of that terror was voter suppression tactics and a subsequent disengagement of black voters who had been terrorized.  That is a part of the legacy that has feed into 'voter apathy' that continues today.  It's a subject that never gets discussed-- the fact that blacks in this country were once active participants of electoral politics, as voters and as candidates for public office.  

More people should know about events such as this.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

She's just a phony. No wonder Olympia Snowe didn't like her (allegedly). She's gotten by with a lot in Maine because Maine is somewhat conservative and because she's seen as above politics, but I don't think she will have the same easy time now.

• Members

I didn't know about that.  300 people massacred, what a nightmare.  Also, amazing to me that people on the right try to stoke up fears of a race riot, but many of aren't taught about the ones that already happened because it doesn't fit the narrative.

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

I'm not a big fan of the America = Nazi Germany stuff, mostly because I think it needlessly distracts from present-day perils for something that has become so meaningless through overuse over the last few decades, but at least these debates are now starting to point out more of McConnell's role in the breakdown:

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/10/5/17940610/trump-hitler-history-historian

• Members

I've wondered this exact same thing, except they aren't going to die, right? I'm not even sure it will hurt them.  I would say it's a show of power by the patriarchy.  That's really the only thing that makes sense to me. 

There are probably many men in power worried that what they did many years ago might resurface.  Also, there are a lot of women who have built their lives around conservative values.  It's their way of life and how they were socialized even if some of us can't relate or have cast those values off ourselves.

I'm glad she did the right thing for the sake of these women. 

Edited by Juliajms

• Members

Jason Van Dyke the police officer in Chicago who shot Laquan McDonald has been found GUILTY on all counts including second degree murder.

I'm shocked and relieved and finally some accountability. It matters little to Laquan's family but hopefully they get some peace with this.

• Members

Finally, some "good" news for a change!

You're right, it matters little to Laquan's loved ones.  The verdict won't bring him back.  But, for once, justice appears to have been done.

I don't talk much about the Tulsa Race Riots, because it's long been my suspicion that the black man who allegedly assaulted the white woman in an elevator might have been a member of my mother's biological family.

• Members

If Manchin does vote to confirm I won't be surprised if he switches parties.

This latest quavering speech from Collins makes me think she knows she is done in 2020. The lecture circuit pays and they support Kavanaugh, presumably, as all of DC does.