OLTL Discussion: Week of September 22, 2008

• Members

The song is Forever by Schiller (featuring Kim Sanders). Here's a youtube link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFLsfcZFdKE

I turned the show off after the shower scenes. Since I read that Todd and Mary were going to kiss again and I was already put off by their conversation and his lies, I had no reason to keep watching. I don't mind Todd's regular manipulations but this is of the twisted variety that holds no appeal or intrigue for me.

I also muted the tv when Tess was talking. I still don't have a problem with the revenge scheme but she's already annoying and dragging this on and on will only make her more so.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Does anyone know if the writers plan on redeeming Brody? The Mark Lawson isn't going anywhere, is he?

I know a lot of fans are upset about this storyline given it's bad projection of servicemen, but this is a true aspect of soldiers that have returned after serving combat. Why shouldn't this storyline be told? Now, if this is only being done and then Brody is killed and leaves the show a villain, a bad guy, then I'll be disappointed. But what I'm hoping happens is that the writers plan to have Brody committed and then devle into his psyche and hopefully flesh out the character and get him some help, redeeming Brody for future use.

And hopefully, Tess gets her ass sent to St. Anne's as well. I think Bree Williamson and Lawson would be hot together.

• Members

I think they've gone out of their way to keep Brody as sympathetic as possible, and I really enjoyed Gigi and Rex for the first time in a while on Monday. I think sometimes soap fans get so eager to support the underdog, ANY underdog to prove they are not "falling for it" that they will support anybody. Like Adriana. People act like Adriana is a total innocent now, it's ridiculous. She sent the damn test so Gigi and Brody could falsify it, after already almost losing her marriage over her lies!

Also, I've said it before but the makeout scenes with Todd and Marty are totally unnecessary.

• Members

I've always viewed Todd Manning is a modern day interpretation of Heathcliff from Wuthering Heights- no matter what Todd Manning has done in the past has slight justifications (minus a few dots to connect) and has even held him in the same sympathetic light that many saw in Heathcliff- so if they continue the storyline with John and Marty being true loves, then it can work- otherwise- it leaves Todd Manning a complete wreck of a character. As far as I see things- Todd Manning has always been an openly expressive vengeful and yet generous character- but nevertheless- open. Hiding Marty in secret (regardless of the rape) makes no sense- because in the gothic nature of Heathcliff he was no" secret" lover. Taking her, out of revenge does hold true to Heathcliff, but with Marty falling for him, it detracts from the epic that is Wuthering Heights. When Heathcliff holds young Catherine prisoner she falls for her cousin- which I'm guessing would be John- but now that romance has entered the tale of Todd and Marty- you now have Charlotte Bronte's Jane Eyre and the secretive insecure drifting of Mr. Rochester- which is a completely different character than Heathcliff. Which is sad because Mr. Rochester was nothing compared to the endless fascination that is Heathcliff.

I remember the OPP story line being horribly penned as well, and missing so many connects in terms of character motivation- that it turned out rather sick IMO. The gassing and burning of ethnic citizens- it was done in poor taste and was unnerving.

Archived