KNOTS LANDING

• Members

I'm officially through with watching Season 2 of Knots Landing. And I must say I honestly enjoyed Season 1 more as a whole. It felt like the writers wanted to capitalize off the sky rocket popularity of Dallas at the time. 

By not only insisting of cameos with varying degrees of success. (More on those later)  In addition, it seemed  like they wanted this season to be serialized instead of episodic like its first season. Nonetheless, to me it felt like they gave up in the middle of the season. Going back to giving certain characters A&B stories. Instead of giving all of the couples and Abby plots of their own. 

Abby Cunningham - I didn't expect her to appear in the two-part season premiere. I thought she would show up after Sid was proven innocent of the "attempted rape." I was surprised at how well she got along with Valene early on. So knowing what eventually happens makes it even more complicated. But I'm like girl, Why go after Richard of all the men in LA? I think she easily gathered he was a weak man whose ego she could easily stroke.  Perhaps it had to with finally being the one in command of a relationship. Since we learn Jeff was the head of the household when they were married. Then she became drawn to Gary when she got a part-time job at Knots Landing Motors as a bookkeeper. I think it had to do with him wanting power and also her finding out he came from wealth. Though I appreciate how multifaceted she is when it came to her children. That scene of her breaking down when she gets the tape of Jeff informing her he did take Olivia and Brian.  Made me realize she is just more than a blonde bombshell vixen. Tonya Crowe was such a precocious child actress who didn't come off as annoyingly cutesy. 

Kenny & Ginger Ward : I was also surprised at how long Ginger let Kenny move back in. It's obvious TPTB didn't really have much interest in these two. Frankly, I still prefer Ginger more than Kenny. Although James Houghton charisma gives the character a personality. They still feel underdeveloped as characters. The double standard of Kenny not only sleeping with Sylvie (his mistress) and Kristin (Why was she was on this show?) But him getting upset over Ginger seeing her with her potential love interest Carl (the pediatrician made me shake my head. What I don't get is why we didn't get any scenes with her and her mother in The Man Of The Hour? I wonder did they film any and were cut for time? Last season it was hinted her mother and she had a contentious relationship. What if we saw her mom blaming her for letting her sister to go the party? Or Ginger telling her she still is upset about the abortion she made her had and isn't going to be overprotective with her children like she is? 

Next I will be discussing the ups and downs of the Fairgate unit. And how even Jane Elliot couldn't save that ridiculous Gary/Judy affair. And Laura Avery gained independence in spite of her jealous husband.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Gary and Valene Ewing : Their second chance at love is beginning to unravel. By Gary's quest for success and by introducing us to Judy and Earl Trent.  I don't understand why he would have an affair with Dull as Dishwasher Judy (No offense Jane Elliot) Not to mention her equally dull husband Earl. Who pops back up as Val's substitute professor who ultimately wants to sleep with her as revenge for his wife's affair with Gary. I do like Val's interest in pursuing higher education and her budding talent in creative writing. My favorite cameo had to be Bobby in the episode about Val's colon cancer.  He made an impact without taking over an episode. You can automatically tell things won't be as good as they were when they moved to California. 

Sid and Karen Fairgate : For a man being charged with attempted rape. Sid was more laid-back in the two-part season premiere. Although at times Karen can come off as shrill. I think it was warranted in this case when it came to firing Richard as his lawyer. I did like she and Abby teaming up to get that license plate to clear Sid. Then let's not forget when they had Sid's female mechanic employee Linda come onto him. Why writers have all if not most of the husbands cheat on their wives?  (Kale Browne made a cameo as Sid and Abby's nephew) I'm assuming Michael's hyperactive condition isn't going to be mentioned again. 

Richard and Laura Avery : Richard is such a butthole. This man is basically flaunting his affair with Abby in front of everyone at a party held for his wife. I was like all of this time you're rubbing sunscreen on Abby.  You can be looking for another job. Laura remains one of my favorite characters on this show. We see her gain her independence by becoming a successful realtor. Becoming the only person working in the Avery household for a time.  I like her admitting to her boss that she is attracted to him.  But knows Richard needs her and that can be contributed to her taking care of her father when her mother died when she was younger. I kind of wish it was more said between Abby and Laura about the fling.  Instead of that quick exchange at the siege at Ginger's baby shower. (Bonus: I did like Karen calling Richard an "Ass" at the party.)

Now I'm starting Season 3!!!

• Members

TBH, I don't believe Jane Elliot cared much for her KL role either, lol.

I think Gary and Val's problem was that they were attempting to recapture what they had had when they were teenagers, without accepting the fact that a lot of time and a lot of life had passed.  Even at their relatively younger ages, Val and Gary weren't as innocent as they had been at 15 and 16 years old.  (Plus, Gary was out to prove he was as good at business as Bobby and J.R.  It would take some time for Gary to accept he didn't have the same instinct for that stuff as his father and brothers did.)

No, it won't be mentioned again, lol.

Edited by Khan

• Members

Val herself said it just before slapping Abby: "I see him the same way I've seen him since I was 15 years old."

I'm a little surprised the show never tried to get more mileage out of Gary and Val's missing years. There was nearly two decades to play with.

• Members

Yeah, it's strange how no one showed up in Knots Landing claiming to be the result of a drunken ONS Gary had with somebody back in his late teens or twenties.  I think Gary learning he had a grown-up son might have been a great story, especially if that son had become in a love triangle between Paige and Olivia.

• Members

The show did seem to mention Val's missing years with the ex flame and his daughter Cricket, plus the weird story of her being in an ice storm, etc... but I do agree Gary not having another child out there was misfire.

I do wonder if Latham and Co hadn't taken over the show.. if Gary/Val would have been endgame or not... since in season 6 when she still thought she was married to Gary.. how he had to tell her that they weren't married any longer.. that the two tried to make it work, but it just didn't work.  And that her remembering her relationship/love for Ben was a major plot point, etc.

• Members

Better yet, suppose Jill had begun a relationship with him in order to stay in Gary's life?

(I don't like the idea of him not liking Val, though.  I'd like to think he and Val would have developed a sort of surrogate mother and child bond over time.  Especially if his mom -- Gary's long-ago ONS -- turned out to be a Mother from Hell.)

I think Gary and Val were always meant to be endgame, no matter who was in charge.  David Jacobs (and others) kept them apart for so long, though, because their NOT being together generated more story (which it did).

• Members

Oh, I know. I just would have liked a little more. On the other hand, there is something poignant about Val not having any big adventures during her time alone. It makes her time in California all the more special.

I'd definitely have Val and Gary's long-lost son getting along in the end. Leading up to it, though, I'd have moments where he's confused and more than a little defensive about their budding friendship. Mommie Dearest, of course, is hella-jealous and unashamedly pouring on the guilt.

It seems like the best place to introduce Aaron* and Eve** would be in 1987-88. Granted, they'd be coming off the long "Who is Paige, really?" storyline, so this time around, it'd be best not to drag things out. The ninth season also works because we'd be getting Jill just as she goes off the deep end and the show did have some money for new actors (sorry Constance and Julie).

*After Aaron Southworth 

**After Russ Tamblyn's repressive mother in Peyton Place

The first (and not at all best) casting ideas that just popped into my head were Peter Reckell (hey, he's joining the show anyway ...) and Miss "Welcome to My Home" herself, Brenda Dickson. 

Edited by Franko

• Members

The problem for me was that I liked Gary with Abby.... and Val with Ben.  In the real world, Ben and Val would have been endgame because the two had more in common (jogging, writing, more equal where neither had to baby the other one, and he had that cool beach house by the ocean)..  Gary/Val only had the past as their link... when the two were married, they were as different as night and day.. plus they brought out the dysfunction in one another.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I think a child (or twins!, a girl and a boy)for Gary would have been best utilized either before Paige arrived, or towards the last couple of seasons so we didn’t see the same storyline twice in short time.

But it is the kind of time span that a daytime soap would have invented an island country that Gary or Val was married into royalty and the kids were prince and princess.

• Members

IA.  Between the time J.R. and his thugs ran Val out of Dallas, and when Gary and Val finally reunited and moved to Knots Landing for a fresh start, almost anything could have happened to Gary.  I mean, we saw, on KNOTS, a similar suggestion between Val and Cricket's father.  Gary could have fathered another child or two in the interim.  (I doubt he was celibate all those years without Val, lol).  Hell, he could have even killed someone while driving drunk, and then years later, someone who was at that scene recognizes him, blackmails him, etc.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Up to episode 18 of Season 13, where apparently Paige is now paralyzed. I had no idea that would happen! Not sure about seeing her like this, though. I guess it depends how they handle it.

The switch from Romano to Marcus episodes was so noticeable I didn't even have to look at the credits to confirm. Suddenly, there was much more energy and sense of direction.

I didn't hate the first 2/3 of Season 13 but it did become glacially paced and eventually you'd come out of an episode feeling like nothing had happened (even if it had), which clearly was very dangerous. I mean, Jason was "leaving for Sweden" for about 39 episodes.

I am intrigued by the very sexy Alex Barth but very confused as well, as they kept zigzagging with how they portray him and I couldn't tell if I was supposed to be turned on by his near-evil treatment of Claudia (but, hey, if anyone deserves it, it's her). I think eventually they settled for opportunist and it works. A real shame they wrote Jason off. Jason and Alex around would be great for the hunky young guy portion of the show.

Vanessa Hunt is intriguing too, if a tad annoying. I hope they go somewhere good with this.

I LOVE Val writing Greg's biography. Decent drama. Val has been quite well served this season, even if that Lynette story went absolutely nowhere.

Sad to see the ranch go but nice that Gary and Val are back on the cul-de-sac.

To my surprise, I quite like Pierce now that he's gone full psycho. That scene where Marcia Cross had him fck her in order to give him info on Greg was wonderfully twisted. Interested to see where this goes.

Edited by YRBB