KNOTS LANDING

• Members

I think the second half of season 13 was also really fantastic, but the final season definitely ended on a high note. I honestly didn't mind the absences from some characters that year. We always had Karen to carry you through and Paige was long term enough to help carry the show as well. I much prefer that to what Dallas and Falcon Crest did in later years by simply eliminating character so the others can appear in more episodes. Knots found the right balance so by the time the show ended the canvas didn't seem like a shell of itself. I also love that they finally brought Diana back. I loved her in those early seasons and hate she didn't return sooner. It was nice to see her fully realized as an adult in season 14 as well as the reunion. 

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Someone had thought that Diana should have been the one to have been involved with Treadwell (instead of Vanessa) due to her fashion business, etc...and Abby finding out her niece was in danger would have quickly reversed course..and exposed Treadway while keeping her hands clean.  Diana was back for a few episodes..why not have made use of he better.

If i remember correctly. Diana only appeared in New York. When Karen went to visit her. I love the idea of Diana fighting Kate for Gary. Diana would've added some much needed spice to that lackluster pairing. I loved Stacy Galina as Kate. But Knots had no idea what to do with her. Still Gary was way better than the oceanographer. 

Edited by victoria foxton

• Members

Gary was waaaaaaay better than that oceanographer for Kate.

Besides Kate and Paige, the younger generation was mostly gone which I felt hampered the storytelling since it wasn't multi-generational. I always thought writing out Michael and Olivia was short-sighted, but I guess it was probably done for budget, too.

One of my highlights those last few seasons were those Anne and Claudia scenes where they pretended to like each other but couldn't stand the other. The voiceovers were hilarious as they revealed their true feelings.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfXOHnTk8UE

• Members

I would agree that Joseph was a waste of a character, but I thought the Kate and Gary pairing was a bit embarrassing. She looked so much younger than he did and unlike William Devane, Ted didn't have the sparkle to make that age difference less of an issue. It would have been like if Mack had gotten it on with Linda Fairgate. It also reinforced for me that the show had no idea what to do with Kate. 

I think they were probably right to have Diana limited to a short guest appearance, but I do think they should have brought her in more in that capacity in the last season. Karen's life pre-Mack was so rich and much more interesting than seeing her as mother to Meg (I hated that story...) and going around lecturing. 

They should have recast Sid's daughter and had her come back into Karen's life - maybe as a junkie, like Karen was briefly. Diana could have been part of that. Michael too.They could have killed off Eric to jumpstart the story.

If they needed to free up money, then Claudia should have gone. Love Kathleen Noone, but the character was unwatchable after she killed her son.

Edited by DRW50

• Members

That actually sounds pretty good.  It's too bad they didn't write that instead, lol.

I think Michael Filerman and David Jacobs knew going in that S14 would be their last, so it might've been nice to use that opportunity to bring back some old favorites.  Perhaps, James Houghton (Kenny) and Kim Lankford (Ginger) could have put in an appearance?  Or Lisa Hartman Black (Cathy)?  Or John Pleshette (Richard)?  (IIRC, there was a point where Mack was in trouble and needed an attorney.  Perhaps, Karen could have called Richard back to help him.)

Maybe they could have made amends with Constance McCashin (Laura) and ask her to put in an appearance or two as Laura's ghost (appearing as a manifestation of Greg's conscience)? Or maybe Julie Harris (Lilimae) could've returned, with the story being that Lilimae comes back for Val's funeral, then stays behind to look after Betsy and Bobby?

Moreover, it would've been great to see Patrick Peterson (Michael) and Tonya Crowe (Olivia) one more time.  (Brian Austin Green's was on "90210" at that point, so he probably would've been unavailable).  And for sure, when they knew it'd be the last season, they could've brought back Douglas Sheehan (Ben) and tied him in with Val's reappearance.

Edited by Khan

• Members

All those characters returning would have been so great and brought things full circle. I'm guessing budget was so tight that last year. I guess we're lucky we had the show as long as we did...14 seasons is an amazing run! And, it outlasted all the other traditional primetime soaps.

• Members

Good point(s) about Gary Ewing and Ted Shackelford.

I think Karen Allen was busy raising her and Kale Browne's son, so, yeah, they probably would've needed to recast Annie.  I, myself, would have tried to land a "soap name" -- an actor from one of the other, defunct primetime soaps (DALLAS, DYNASTY, FALCON CREST, etc.) -- for that role, as I feel casting just ANY actress wouldn't have felt right.

Edited by Khan

• Members

They tried to get Douglas Sheehan back full-time, but couldn't locate him! Apparently after he left the show he had moved out of the country and left showbiz for a while. I still wonder what that story would've been. 

Also, I love everybodys suggestions with Diana. I don't think I would want her trying to date Gary though, I think that would taint him since they knew each other when she was a kid. I've always thought it would be interesting to have brought Lucy on for the final season and act as a replacement for Vanessa. I do think based on her solid work in the later seasons of Dallas that Charlene Tilton could've fit in on Knots at that point. 

• Members

I think they closed out at just the right time, but David Jacobs and Michele Lee have said numerous times that the show wasn't canceled and was ended to avoid just that. The ironic thing is, I feel of all the primetime soaps, Knots is the one that would've been able to reinvent itself to last 20+ seasons. If you look at the 14 years, you can break it up into different period with different looks, feels and styles and it all works. I am kinda curious how it would've been had they stayed on, but in the end I'm happy they didn't. Personally I would've kept Mack and Karen, Greg and Paige and get rid of pretty much everyone else and introduce new unrelated characters to keep the show going. Joan Van Ark has stated she wouldn't return so I'd either get rid of Gary or introduce a strong, bold new love interest who can give him relevance again.