Emmerdale: Discussion Thread

• Members

So, the new owners of the Woolpack are..... Charity and Ryan!! 

Please register in order to view this content

I'm not surprised, but still....

It's becoming an exercise in self-torture to watch this show. Maybe I'll just stick around for the 50th anniversary. I'm sure whatever they will come up with in terms of "celebration" will be enough to destroy any lingering positive feelings I have.

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I think ITV is behaving similarly as they were with Corrie and Liz Macdonald before Bev Callard quit - they aren't going to let the pub go on without Chastity. Even if she isn't the owner (for now) she still plays a central role. 

I just hope they are actually going to try to take seriously some of the logistics of Ryan being involved and not just have him sell up  in a few months after they got some press for his involvement. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

How sad.

I usually look out for things like this, but I have missed this completely.

I'm so glad that we got those dvd-releases of early Emmerdale Farm, so we could see some of his work. I liked him.

Too bad we didn't get any more dvd's. It would have been so nice to maybe get the entire 1970s. I guess the cost outweighed the benefits....

• Members

You know, reading that article about Paula really brought it home how much I miss the older characters on Emmerdale nowadays. I know that the Covid epidemic is a big reason for their absence but still.... Diane's departure really left a big hole on the canvas, in more ways than one.  

I miss the (unholy) trinity of Betty, Pearl and Edna sitting in the Woolpack, offering their (sometimes unwanted) opinions on everything and everyone, like a Greek chorus.  

Speaking of that, has there been any on-screen explanation for Pearl's disappearance or has she just vanished into thin air? If any explanation has been given I must have missed it.

• Members

Last I  heard she was living in a caravan. That's it. 

They have now brought Louise Jameson in as Rhona's mother, and they have Paddy's father, and Rodney, Eric, and Faith, but that's not enough to make up for what you mention. I think another problem  is the soaps no  longer are willing to write older characters as older characters. You have people who are 70 or 80 written as being much younger. There is no real sense of generations, history, or community.

Speaking of that, I just saw that a few weeks ago, someone put up an episode from September 1989...VERY hard to find anything from that period. There are some audio and visual issues, very tinny sound, but I think you will still enjoy it.

• Members

7 more months until the 50th Anniversary and it seems like nothing „exciting“ will happen. 

Bring back Joe Sugden from the dead. That would be more entertaining than Charity/Vanessa or that weird Charles dude. 

Emmerdale never had that much dull characters on the canvas at once.