Emmerdale: Discussion Thread

• Members

I'm not sure I would want to bring anyone from the past back anymore. There was a time when I hoped and wished that old favourites would be brought back, especially the Skilbecks. Build a new family around Sam Skilbeck and have visits from Matt and Dolly.  

Please register in order to view this content

But the show (and the village) has changed so much since they left and I have come to the conclusion that it's better that they (and other old favourites) stay away. That way my memories of them remain untainted. This is a lesson I've learnt from the return of Kim.  Not to mention that Frederick Pyne (Matt) is now 85 years old, and Jean Rogers (Dolly) turns 80 next year, so it's doubtful if they would even consider returning, even if they were allowed to for health reasons. (Damn Covid.....  )

Of course I wouldn't mind if Robert got out on a technicality and returned to Emmerdale. Especially with Aaron soon departing so he could be free from that whiner.   Victoria could use her big brother.

But I wouldn't mind if they mined Emmerdale history. I've mentioned before the idea of bringing back a new generation of the Verney family. They used to own Home Farm, then known as Miffield Hall. Or perhaps resurrect some of the other families from the past, the Longthorns, the Gimbels, or the Middletons. They're practically a clean slate, but it would be a welcome nod to those of us who are long-time viewers.

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I still think bringing in Sam, with cameos from his parents, even over Skype, could work, but sadly it isn't likely. I think your idea of various other families makes sense. Joe was married in the '70s - maybe his ex wife had his child and never told him.

I do hope Robert returns (with another recast as Ryan  Hawley seems to have moved on) in a few years, as I doubt Aaron will be back. 

Sadly with all the controversies surrounding Matthew Wolfenden and Isabel Hodgins right now I'm not sure how much longer Victoria will be around. 

• Members

I wouldn't be that surprised if he stays away. The character has barely been used for the last 3-4 years anyway. 

I will say I thought his exit scenes  were surprisingly  decent - I appreciated the old-school Emmerdale feel of them in that they were mostly solemn and character-driven. And it was good he decided to just leave toxicity behind.

• Members

Aarons Exit was great. I will miss him! Who will be there for Liv now all the time when he‘s gone?

That Meena Character must be the most ridiculous character ever created on that show but I am all up for it. It‘s like the writers are taking the P…ss with us fans/viewers.

That scene with Meena/Manpret and the Vicar was so hilarious. That he just believed Meena over Menpret just like this was so typical Emmerdale by now

• Members
One thing that hit me while watching circa 2000 episodes is how they hit it out of the ballpark with Diane's extended family. Diane, Bernice, Val, Nicola, Rodney. All very well-defined and larger-than-life characters with years of stories in them, some clans have just a couple of stand out members but with those they really created something special. Although if it were a US soap, Nicola (& Jimmy) would have been dumped to recurring a long time ago. On the subject, having Nicola half take over the caff is the best thing they've done for her in years. As random as it started as, having Gabby pregnant by Jamie and scheming is a good way to mine the character and maybe let her become as iconic as other members of her family, while remaining a mostly good person.
If they hadn't turned Meena into a killer, Manpreet's family could have been an interesting long-term addition with a recast Ayesha cause she was a bit out there herself, last time I said Manpreet had no personality but that's not really true, she's goofy so they can play on that.

• Members

Chas may not everyone’s cup of tea but she is a real fan favorite just like Cain. I like that they softened Cain a bit. Makes him more likeable.

i don’t know where all the Dingle Hate is coming from? They were well received back in the late 90‘s throughout the late 2000‘s. But now everyone hates them. It’s like I would say I hate the Newmans from Y&R

And I would hate to see Paddy go. He is the last one that puts a smile on my face in that gruesome village. 

my bet is still Meena or AL!

Oh no u mentioned Carl  I loved him. I loved all Kings but Carl was the best.  I hated it that they axed him. There are rumors that he wanted to leave on his own but he was axed! I still miss him