Emmerdale: Discussion Thread

• Members

Soooo random but I lol everytime I realize the character's name is Bob Hope. Will never not think of THE Bob Hope.

I will say, the show just 'overall' feels a bit depressing. Bullying, postnatal depression, a psychotic murderess ... not against any of those stories but it's just so heavy. You shouldn't have so many heavy storylines on-going. Reminds me when EastEnders and Corrie would be so heavy and it becomes draining to watch. There has to be some balance.

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I wish they would show more animals and farming like back in the day.. Even if its just on Radio but 'The Archers' is doing just an amazing job with that.

Emmerdale is my number 1 UK Show. I kinda love Meena.

The only issue i have right now is the balance and continuity of storys. Too much going on at once. We have the Liv alcoholism story,Meena-David-Victoria + Murder plot, Tracy and her Baby stuff, The Whoolpack Story of Chaz + Marlon, Aprils bullying, that weird Wendy + Russel money plot that no one asked for, Belles mental illness that pops up whenever they realise that the actress is still on a payroll, Jamie+Kim + Gaby etc.

Sometimes u dont see a character for a whole month. Thats way to uneven.. Hell even Meena was gone for like 3 weeks by now and people complain that she is on every day.

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

I do like Bob, but I'd rather see her with someone else. Who, I am not sure. The male cast is in a state. (I will say, NOT Marlon - keep him with Rhona)

James is one of the show's finest actors and Sam is a very rich character. It's sad to see the state of him. If he feels this strongly, he should leave his job.

• Members

Yeah, Bob was just the first character that came to mind. Before James Hooton revealed himself as such, I honestly would have been happy to keep Sam/Lydia/Samson representing the Dingles, but Hooton had to trip himself up and ruin it.

A lot of the characters I'd write out would be despite their portrayer's talents. Most, if not all, of the Dingles+friends group are amazing actors, but it's more than time for that stranglehold they have on the show to end.

One thing I will say about these current producers is that, no matter what you think of the material, they've seemingly made Victoria actually matter again. Never thought I'd see the day. At least the intention of that aspect is nice.

• Members

Wow, I did not know that about James Hooton. A perfect opportunity to get rid of him.

In general I have no problem with any of the actors portraying Dingles. It's their characters that repulse me. I do have to concede that they're not quite as dominating as they have been, but on the other hand their receding importance has clearly demonstrated how over-played most of them have become. They have dominated the show for so long that now they all just feel tired and redundant. The show would probably get a new lease of life if they were written out.

This show needs new blood, and new storylines that don't involve one (or several) Dingles running a scam or doing some underhanded dodgy business deals. It's beyond tired.

• Members

There are rumors of a Tripple Exit.. One in the murder week.. Diane leaving (Rumor has it that she may take Gaby or Bernice with her or Rodney)

Tracy is gone on maternity leave right now. Andrea will leave the show too on maternity leave (Some speculate that she might die during the murder week or just leave like this)

I think Rodney is not needed anymore.. The new Vicar/Priest or whatever he calls himself Charles, Wendy the self named nurse, Herriet and like 40% of the cast could get rid of without any fan missing them. All newbies are like fresh from acting school . I like that Emmerdale tries to get them a space to perform and get some practice on acting but damn. Those newbies are so bad. How could some of them pass acting school.

Thats why i defend Paige/Meena. She is fresh from acting school before she joined ED and is paying the psycho perfect for her first real gig. Probs on her.

They have the legendary Kim Tate and they just don't know what to do with her. I like the Paddy/Kim story coz both are vets from the 90's and i love oldies interacting with each other.

Last time Kim was really intriguing and the best of the best was with Graham/Joe/Jamie. But the Gabby plot has run it's course with Jamie being 'dead'

• Members
Paige Sandhu is one hell of an actress. What she was capable of doing with Meena in terms of characterization, when the woman playing her sister is just there, not infusing her character with any personality. It's a bit too much that David was with Maya, who abused his son, and then he gets with a woman who kills people. I thought they'd found something that worked with his pairing with Tracy but it's as though it never happened (she and Nate and their unneeded baby are such filler). Leanna was never a stand-out but the actress did good work when confronting Meena.
I'm making my way through July and at least that shook things up. I hate Liv's alcoholism story, but nothing can be as draining as the Paul/Mandy/Vinny hour the show had become. Paul was played by a decent enough actor but I couldn't stand seeing him on every. single. day.
The Kim/Jamie drama was okay but I've never taken Jamie that seriously. He went from being a goody two-shoes to being the devil of the town for no apparent reason overnight around last year. The story with him and Belle being a couple but Belle was really playing him made no sense. Then him being Gabby's baby daddy is just as random. I'm glad Bernice is back that being said.
Although we haven't seen her much leading up to the summer, I have to laugh at the hatchet job they've done on Harriet. At least her replacement Charles is a decent addition but his pairing with Andrea is as filler and random as other things I mentioned. Andrea is actually someone I find has potential but she needs more purpose.
Also what's the story with Debbie's exit right after coming back from maternity leave? That story with Al and Priya is the only time Al has been worth a little airtime.

• Members

I kinda like Meena too. It's a bit paint by the numbers psycho but the actress is good IMO. I also like David and Victoria. Those three and Kim keep me interested. I tend to stick to their clips and not the whole show at the moment. I'm more into older Emmerdale at the moment. But my soap watching the last few weeks has been spotty LOL. 

You've listed a lot of the problems. The show feels so heavy. Some stories interest me but when you add it all together ... 

Also feels a little empty on the 'vet' side of the canvas though. Lots of long running Dingles (Marlon doesn't bother me) ... lol 

"whenever they realise that the actress is still on a payroll" 

I LOL'd but seems accurate. I notice this on the other shows too it's like "whoops forgot about them, here they are" ...

Edited by KMan101

• Members

https://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/emmerdale/a38011650/emmerdale-spoilers-charity-mack-shock-plan/

Where's Meena when you need her?!  

Please register in order to view this content

Does anyone, anywhere really want these kind of stories again and again and again?  I can't stand this crap anymore!!

Edited by I Am A Swede