Emmerdale: Discussion Thread

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Please register in order to view this content

They do make good trailers, but I'm tired of the hyperbolic statements that always accompany these trailers, like: "This is Emmerdale at its most ambitious as we take viewers on an exhilarating journey through a series of showstopping stunts. or "Daring and audacious, this is Emmerdale like you've never seen before."

• Members

Yeah, as I familiarize myself with their history more and more it comes off like that for sure. "Look what we can do" and they spend all this money and most of the time it doesn't seem to hit the mark. And a lot of their stunts look CGI driven and not great. The plane crash in 1993, which I've watched, was much better done, even if some of it is forced.

I have to say they tried to do the same to Coronation Street. It and Emmerdale were very interchangeable for a while. They even have a similar look (the lighting).

• Members

Emmerdale tends to have a better track record with well-crafted stunts than the other soaps. The problem is it doesn't matter if the characters aren't worth investing in, which is mostly  the case now. 

I will say that the stunts on Emmerdale and Corrie are ITV-driven, not producer-driven. The producers have little power in any  major decisions. 

@I Am A SwedeThey were also nice enough to post the last page of the article. I couldn't get it to post here for some reason.

• Members

1 will die and there are rumors it could be Charity lmao (Which i doubt)..

I think those stunts that are mentioned were  started by a trend in the UK in 2010. Hollyoaks started those BIG STUNTS and SOAP CHANGING killings, explosions and whatever u could possibly imagine. It all started with that highly popular Silas Blisset - Serial Killer Storyline and Corries 50th Anniversary Tram Crash stunt. (Which is still one of my favorite soap opera anniversarys)

From there on Hollyoaks got buzz and ratings and praises. Oaks did more and more of those Killer and stunt stuff. All the other UK Soaps tried to cash in from that and create their own serial killer and big stunts.

• Members

I miss the Sudgens being the frontburner.. Thats why i enjoy everything i get out of the Victoria Sudgen Character.

I miss the Tates too. I hope Jamie ain't dead and will pop up again. There is no confirmation that the actor is through with the show.. I don't get the hate the actor or the Jamie character gets. I enjoyed his last episode and the way he tried to flee with Dawn. Dawn + Jamie belong together.

People complain about the lack of humor or comedy in this show but i think thats nonsense. The Jigsaw date of Diane, the irish banter between Bernice and MacKenzie and so on.

Aprils bullying story really touched my heart in the last couple of weeks and i feel kinda sorry for Bob and April in this.