Emmerdale: Discussion Thread

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Other questions -

1. What happened to Alecia?

2. What DNA results did Rakesh change ? And how was that even possible?

3. What did Victoria do and why did the flee town?

4. What has Laurel been doing? I haven't seen episodes since she was drunk at some party and forgot somebody's kid.

• Members

Alicia and David and Jacob moved away to Portugal to help Paul (Val's son) run a bar.

Rakesh changed the DNA results that said Kirin is the father of Vanessa's baby. It's possible because it's soapland.

Victoria was trying to run Adam down, changed her mind, argued with him, got upset, and accidentally hit Ashley. Ashley told her it was fine and then walked away. He soon collapsed and nearly died. When he woke up, he had no memory of the incident. Victoria confessed to the poice, but had no proof of her story, a story made even flimsier because Adam had scrapped the car without her knowing. When Robert began trying to get Adam to confess or else, she and Adam ran off for a while.

Laurel has been doing OK. Mostly trying to help Ashley, and getting on Harriet's nerves. Her nadir was when she got drunk while Ashley was in hospital, thought he'd died, and went around telling people...including his daughter Gabby.

• Members

Finally saw some of the clips of the Laurel story. Seems so real. If that actress does not win an award something is wrong!

Does everyone know Vanessa and Adam slept together? I saw old clips so assume this was found out before .. ?

How is David coming back?

Also saw clips from when Donna died. Was she really involved in crime with Ross?

• Members

Yes, everyone knows. Kirin found out when they were having the DNA test done and told everyone at the party.

If you don't want to download the episodes, you can find a few short clips at ED's Youtube channel.

David returns to see Priya and oversee the handover of the shop.

Agree about Charlotte Bellamy. Wonderful work. And so underrated. The most searing work on any soap this year.

• Members

Rakesh took a photo of the test results, scanned it on to his laptop, made a copy, and edited it to read Adam is the father, instead of Kirin. I think that is highly plausible to achieve.

What I found less plausible was the excuse they came up with to allow Priya to cover up the lie. She was way too level headed to be real. A small white lie to David about her eating disorder so she could keep Amba in town, and suddenly she's comparing her actions to Rakesh's, which has turned loads of people's lives upside down, not to mention is the contributing factor in Victoria mowing down Ashley that has left him suffering debilitating seizures. Yeah, so comparable. I know they wanted to drag out the secret for longer, but I'm sure it could have been done better.

• Members

Totally agree about Priya. I think they're stalling all their story secrets to come out around the same time, but that was just silly.

I still have a feeling Kirin won't find out until right after Vanessa loses the baby, or as she loses it. (just my speculation)

• Members

Yeah, I'm wondering if they will saddle Vanessa with a kid. In the short term, it could provide drama for Adam and Victoria, but once the truth comes out, Vanessa (and Kirin) will be stuck with a baby, much like how Priya and Debbie currently are.

Carl: I saw your post on DS about ED's ratings yesterday, and I think it's down to a combination of the heatwave and Wimbledon starting (I think NBC only airs the finals, right?). But, it seems strange that CS and EE did reasonably well, and HO and Neighbours were back in the 800k, but ED went down. It'll be interesting to see how it goes for the rest of the week.

• Members

I think there's more dramatic value in giving Kirin and Vanessa a child than, say, giving Charity a baby (which feels like a stunt to me, and is a waste given that I can't see someone with the star quality Mike Parr has being around much longer), but with all the kids around, it's hard for me to believe, especially as I can't see both characters staying around much longer (I'll be somewhat surprised if Kirin is around by this time next year).

I try not to put ratings on quality as much as I may have in the past - Eastenders is in a permanent lull these days but the ratings are stable enough - but I do think that at the moment hot weather is going to win out over any stories Emmerdale has on display. I don't hate the Debbie triangle, but I also don't care. And the Rachel/Jai story would probably tempt one to go out during a blizzard.

I'd imagine the ratings will be lower tonight, unless the nation is more gripped by the Charity baby daddy story than I was. I mostly just hoped it wouldn't be Ross. Hell, I would have taken Finn over Ross...but it's done, and I might care if they don't just use it as an excuse for more angst with Debbie.

It's a good thing UK soaps value their middle-aged actors more than US soaps do, and that Jeff Hordley is hot as hell, because otherwise I'd think they were going to completely replace Cain with Ross. Having a baby with Charity cinches it.