Emmerdale: Discussion Thread

• Members

I'm gonna bunch all my comments together.

The Sharma's sweet factory is so weird looking. That has got to be the slowest conveyor belt ever. I don't know how they make their orders at the rate they make/pack boxes. And, do they really need all those employees for one machine?

Nikhil & Maisie make a really cute couple. Now I'm disappointed that she's leaving.

I'm glad Natasha & Nathan are framing Faye instead of the predictable Ryan. It gives Faye more to do, which is a good thing.

I don't think Jackson suited being all witty and cocky with Charity. Is this how his character is normally? I don't really picture him as the funny-guy type.

I still haven't seen all that much of Eve, but what I have, she reminds me a bit of early Katie, when she used to be all bitchy and stuff.

Shadrach's death was so sad. It wasn't over sensational, just normal, and right. You can see why they heap all this tragedy on Marlon, as the actor can really do emotional scenes.

So, Charlie was a con man after all. That took me buy surprise.

I really hope Viv and her sleeping pills aren't going to lead to a drug addiction plot... I could really see Night-time Hope suiting Viv as a story. It's the right side of OTT drama that would suit Viv's character - and there are a lot of men that she could bash. Emmerdale, of course, would inject depth and sell it to the viewer in a way that Dena Higley can't.

Maybe they should start producing a few pieces of incidental music, instead of relying on commercial tracks?

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Amello, Robert and Debbie had sex not long before his disastrous exit from the village.

Funnily enough, the guy who plays Robert, Karl Davies, has for about four or five years been dating Jenna Louise Coleman, who played Debbie's best friend/soulmate Jasmine.

Jackson tends to just be written as giving banter, in lieu of a strong characterization. It's kind of odd, but I don't think they know what to do with him as he was mostly brought in to give Aaron a love interest (not that you'd know they were love interests based on the body language). Probably the one episode where he wasn't like that was the one where he and Aaron first consummated their relationship. Perhaps things will improve

• Members

Not a big surprise. I was surprised she stayed this long, she rarely stays anywhere for long. I'm sorry to see her go, she was fantastic, far better than a lot of the stunt casting on soaps in recent years.

I hope they won't just write out all the Wyldes/Lambs because Maisie and Natasha are going. I think Nathan is a great character and while there is not exactly a huge purpose for Ryan, I think he could work as a flawed but decent young male character if he gets the writing. There aren't a lot of them on the canvas at the moment.

• Members

Too dark? I was actually thinking they should take it one step further and have Maisie kill herself after seeing what she has done. Maybe even have Will see the mayhem happen before his very eyes, leading to who knows what with him. But then again, I know the majority of people would hate that. Just me being a fatalist or something.

• Members

Just watched Jack Sugden's funeral episode. It was a pretty good episode, but in a perfect world more people would have returned, like Matt.

My biggest gripe that didn't sit well with me was all the talk that Robert Sugden didn't belong on Emmerdale. I couldn't help but shake my head is disagreement. What are the chances of him returning away? Did the actor quit or was he fired? And has he made any mention about how he'd feel about returning in the future?

Edited by Amello

• Members

I agree that he belongs on Emmerdale. He was a very interesting character, even if they squandered him by having him just there to wind Andy up.

Karl Davies wanted to leave the show. I don't think he's ever said anything about returning, one way or the other. From 2006-2009 he was filming a show called Kingdom with Stephen Fry but that has been canceled.

I'd love to see him back again but I think the show might feel they have moved on from the Sugdens.

Not having Matt or Dolly at the funeral was a waste. I guess they might have felt that they were on such a long time ago that viewers didn't need to see them, but this was about saying goodbye to history, to the very essence of Emmerdale, not just a character.

• Members

They need to give Natasha an exciting and huge send off. Emmerdale needs a big event. I want Natasha and Nathan sent down just as they are about to flee. Nathan can return in a few months. Maisie could spiral out of control when the truth comes out, kill herself. Faith, Ryan and Will would then inherit Mark's money. Natasha would then ask Faith to adopt Will rather than let him go into care.

• Members

How stupid is this:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1297740/Emmerdale-causes-outrage-crude-offensive-shopping-list-Dingles-kitchen.html

Anyway, I finally finished the week's episodes and overall I thought they were pretty good. I wish that they had spent more time on Shadrach's last days and I think they missed a dramatic opportunity in not letting anyone know (I also wonder why Aaron was nowhere to be found -- funny how some said not long ago that the show was all about him...). But I do think that Andy Devine did a heartbreaking job in those last days, especially in Shadrach's fear over being sober in front of the Dingles. That last scene with Laurel was touching. I'm glad that the show remembered their friendship and how important he was to her life at one time. I thought his death was harrowing but not overly graphic, and while I know a lot of people have issues with Mark Charnock's overacting, I felt like his reaction fit the moment.

Poor Diane. She was very gullible, but the show went to some lengths to show just how skillfully Charlie had manipulated her. The scene where she talked to Val about how he'd fooled her was sad. I'm glad that Val talked tough with her, and that they have used Rodney and Val, who both know Diane so well, in these last few episodes, and not so much Doug, who claims to be sad and not smug yet had a big smirk on his face when he found that Charlie's "office" was long vacant.

Did anyone else think Jai and Amber (Nikhil's weird ex) had some chemistry? That would be good drama if they got together. After how important she was in Nikhil's life I don't think she should just show up for a day or two as a plot device. The scenes where Nikhil told Maisie the truth and then where they went to have sex (if there was ever a call for a Late Night Emmerdale :blush: ) were good but there is still so much to tell with the Sharma brothers, I hope they won't be forgotten.

Poor Declan's back and forth with Natasha, she's driving him crazy. I'm glad to see him again. The best thing about Declan is his deadpan. I loved when Maisie asked if she could borrow his car, and he said, very seriously, "Of course," meaning, "Hell no."

• Members

Thanks for posting that. I'm glad James will finally be getting more of a storyline. While he does go out of his way to say not having one was OK, all the talk about how he wants Ryan to blow Nathan away suggests he is desperate for some big stuff. :lol: I'd actually love to see Nathan and Ryan as both dark but sometimes good men, working together...they could both go against Cain or something. Although that is unlikely.

I do wonder where Ryan will be after this story ends. The show has several men who used to be "nice" but then became very emotionally dead and cold (Carl, Andy). Ryan could be like that but I'd rather see a bit more life.