EastEnders: Discussion Thread

• Members

Yeah, there's a lot of "This isn't Jane" or "This is out of character for Jane," but I see it as a part of her downward spiral that was started long ago. She was scary when she wanted the baby. I will never forget the look on her face when she was watching the baby birthing tape. I think people may not want to see Jane written in a bad light. While I can agree that the current tone of the revenge plot might not be the best way to show her pain and I'm hoping they will move on from the money stuff at some point, I think that her lashing out -- which is what she is doing, she is not being written as some kind of Clare Devine or something -- is in character.

I will be so glad when Uncle Fester is gone. His endless hovering over Sam is pathetic.

I liked all the stuff with Pat, Peggy, and Dot, especially when Pat told Peggy some home truths and Peggy accepted them instead of the whole "get outta my pub" business.

Jordan is still not a very good actor but it was nice to see him worried about Denise, and to continue to see how he is affected by what happened with Lucas. As you mentioned the character interaction is great.

I really liked the stuff with Carol and Lewis. This isn't a big story or anything but it's a nice diversion and some romance and fun that Carol needed. I loved Bianca's reaction to seeing them come downstairs! And it's nice to see Liam's constant aimlessness finally being addressed. Now just take the damn cap off his head please.

• Replies 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Saw this and just had to share:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvOziT29Hqg&feature=related

I never realized that EastEnders was that popular in NZ to warrant flying Susan Tully and Letitia Dean all the way from the UK. Though EE was in a primetime slot here until around 1990, so I guess maybe we lost interest after Dirty Den's first death (and another network did try EE in a primetime slot again when he came back...)

And if the date is correct its from the same Telethon that Christopher Quinten (Brian Tilsley on Coronation Street) met Leeza Gibbons...which led to him being killed off.

• Members

Its not the EE theme tune, although the arrangement is very similar (the handclaps!) and thats not actually Chris with them either...its a NZ actor Simon Praast(who actually does resemble Chris, I thought it was Chris at first too until I realized who it really was). I think Chris and Leeza were at the Christchurch venue while this one was at the Auckland venue.

oh and I do think Letitia's actually quite talented at the poi lol.

• Members

Today's episode:

I love Janine and Pat together and their relationship when it's written for, like today. Out of Frank's kids, Pat's relationship with Janine is by far the most complex and interesting. Pat and Janine love and need each other, but they'll never admit it.

Looks like Tiffany is going to take after Janine with her trying to swindle new shoes off of Pat. And then Carol with her "No offense, Pat!" comment. :lol:

Sam's screams were way over the top, but it was played for comedy. I laughed when Bianca said if Sam wanted an Oscar for those screams. :lol:

I'm glad Bianca isn't mad about the possibility that the baby could be Ricky's, given that Ricky is help raising two of her brats that aren't his. I kind of hope the baby is Ricky's too for that reason, Jack would be a disgusting outcome.

The scenes with Carol and Bianca in the living room before Bianca went to the hospital very well-written too. Looks like Lewis stood Carol up for some reason...

Jay sure grew taller since we've last seen him...

• Members

Poor Carol! The scene where she looked in the mirror and said she was a daft cow was sad. I hope he had a good reason. I loved her comment to Pat and seeing her having more support for Bianca.

Having Bianca and Ronnie both try to react to the news rationally was a very good writing choice. If they melt down it will be later, once the situation builds up. The story works better as comedy but the scene where Ricky held the baby, then gave him to Jack, was great -- summing up the story with few words. Peggy got on my nerves but then that's Peggy, how she would react.

The scenes with Pat and Janine were perfect. That is their relationship to a tee, especially when Pat basically told Janine she knew how they felt about each other. And Janine struggling to invite Pat without giving away her fears or defenses.

Jay is going to be taller than a lot of the guys on the show soon.

Grace Dent column. The most interesting part is the illustration, it reminds me of the old Alex Schwartz books.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/2010/aug/28/grace-dent-phil-mitchell-crack

• Members

Today's episode:

I thought this was a chilling episode overall, the Stacey/Becca and Peggy/Phil stuff especially.

Those confrontation scenes between Stacey and Becca were scary as hell when Becca threw Bradley's ashes at Stacey and it hit the wall and ended up covering Stacey. Lacey Turner, Gillian Wright, and the woman who plays Becca are such great actresses. I really felt sorry for Stacey when Jean had to take her away to take a bath, and then when Stacey was trembling and in tears while Jean was brushing her hair in the kitchen.

Jillian Wright and Lacey Turner have a great mother/daughter chemistry.

I don't think this is the last we'll see of Becca, she'll definitely be back again soon.

Phil's scenes with Peggy at the end of the episode were good too, especially when Peggy told him that he was better off dead. Peggy is so alone with her children against her.

The Sam and baby stuff was well-handled too. But Peggy was vile as hell emotionally blackmailing Sam like that by telling her that if she kept the baby, she had a better chance of stealing Ricky from Bianca. I liked how Ronnie, Roxy, Jack, Ricky, and Bianca all got to react to the baby being born and Sam being there.

Edited by Y&RWorldTurner