EastEnders: Discussion Thread

• Members

Me too, I loved Matthew.

So many soaps tried to have their own contemporary tart with a heart Kat Slater-type character over the past 10 years, it's funny. Kat had a huge impact on the show and soaps in general during her original 5 year run on the show.

I would definitely say the McQueen's on Hollywoaks were fashioned on the Slater sisters on EastEnders.

Vicky was such a lost opportunity, things got especially bad when they had her switch accents with no explanation. I think it also hurt that they couldn't bring Michelle back.

If Sharon ever returns, I have a bad suspicion that they'll go back to pairing her with Phil, or if Grant returns, they'll revisit that. I don't know if I ever want to see that again.

Has the show ever had a recurring supporting Oriental character? I can't recall off the top of my head, but an Oriental family would be so interesting and different from what all the other soaps are offering.

Do you have any ideas for a potential new family?

• Replies 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Michelle not being there hurt a lot. On many levels, with Den as well as Vicky and Sharon and Pauline. I almost wish they had just recast.

I do think that Dennis, Sharon, Chrissie, and to a lesser degree Den, helped revive the Watts and showed what the family can be.

I don't think Grant will ever be back but if he does come back I agree I wouldn't want him with Sharon, or Phil with Sharon. Hopefully that would not happen, it's so lazy. The past is sometimes the past for a reason. I really want Sharon to find out that Phil caused Dennis to die, or helped anyway.

The last Oriental character I remember on Eastenders was a con artist named Li who was involved with Mickey Miller. Santer wrote her out in summer 2007. She didn't want to commit to Mickey so she moved to be with her mother.

As for ideas, I would bring Kelvin in, perhaps single, with some kids, and an estranged wife who pops in and out.

I would bring in a lesbian couple, one of whom used to be well off but lost a lot of money in the recession, the other came from a poorer background. They could have one or two kids. The one who is more from money fits into Walford more easily, in spite of some culture shock, whereas the one who was poorer struggles to deal with memories of the rough treatment she faced when she lived in places like Walford.

I would also bring in Kenny Beale for a visit, to introduce some of his kids (perhaps Elizabeth who was on the show with him in 1988) and grandkids. I know the actor who played Kenny is dead but they can recast.

• Members

That's right. I forgot about Diane. That could be interesting.

I keep meaning to watch more of that channel. I am afraid of jinxing it.

I was just thinking about Peggy and how the yelling tends to suit her character...I think Eastenders has two modes of iconic female characters, those who are loud and proud to mask their pain but are dying inside (Peggy, Angie, Kat, Pat, Stacey), and the woman who struggles more quietly but is a survivor (Michelle, Sharon, Kathy - when she was on the show). I think the show was trying some of the former with Roxy and the latter with Ronnie, although it hasn't quite worked out.

I'm not sure what the recipe is for a male character, although the "hard man" seems to be the most known.

I've always liked Jake Wood but there's always been a certain wall there for the Max character, mostly down to his stories always being about him screwing up. I feel like the last year has broken through a wall for the character, and I feel like if they keep on this way he could become one of my all time favorite characters (although that list is kind of odd -- I'm sure Sue Osman, Nigel, Punk Mary, etc. would get a shrug from a lot of viewers). I also think he could become a huge asset to the show. To me he's carried a lot of 2010, even if he hasn't gotten the attention.

• Members

Max and Kat could be riveting. I say they should think about going for it.

I also wouldn't mind seeing him in more scenes with Denise. They had that bad date a few years ago.

I'm so glad that over the last 5-6 months they have had Denise stop screaming. I think for a few years someone thought every woman on EE needed to scream her lines, if she could. I don't think that suited Diane Parish.

I didn't realize photos had already come out for Tanya and Greg. I saw one at Walford Web's forums, as a banner. He looks a bit terrified behind the smile, perhaps because he knows Max will try to tear him limb from limb...or Tanya said, "I buried my last man alive," right before the photo was taken...

• Members

Yeah, it's spoken about at this Masterclass panel discussing primarily the live episode. John Yorke, Diederick Santer, and Simon Ashdown all contribute to the discussion.

Simon Ashdown also says he would like to bring David Wicks back. I wouldn't be surprised if he returns in the next year...

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/broadcasting/s2/eastenders/news/a269100/live-eastenders-at-25-masterclass.html

Edited by Y&RWorldTurner

• Members

They tried to bring David back this year (which must be why they suddenly acted like Bianca longed for David), but Patsy said that Michael French was too busy working.

I still think there are plausible ways to bring back Kathy or Cindy. If you don't see someone die oncamera, they don't have to be dead. Bringing back Kathy or Cindy is no more "shark jumping" than burying a man alive.

Edited by CarlD2