EastEnders: Discussion Thread

• Replies 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

EEClipz made this nice tribute video to the Slater sisters. Thought I'd share. :)

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHbibIgDeQU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHbibIgDeQU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHbibIgDeQU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

• Members

This episode was slow moving at first but still very strong, and then the last fifteen minutes, the fire, were pretty damn good. At first I felt like I was watching actors but then as it went on I was more and more caught up in the characters. There were a lot of little moments which seemed so right, like, as Y&RWT mentioned, Zainab shaking and being traumatized, and Jean trying to climb up the ladder to save Stacey.

I'm really glad they had Zainab save Syed, as it shows that no matter what she said at a low point, she does love him.

As also mentioned, having so many characters who were not at the party leave their homes to watch the fire was a great way to remind us of community, and is something I am thrilled to see on Eastenders again. I'm glad Ian was in there somewhere, since he's the only original cast member left.

I wonder why Minty wasn't around. I guess he and Heather were listening to George Michael. Was Shirley there?

I didn't even realize Jodie was there.

In terms of storytelling, I think that having no one die was a brave choice, as it put focus on the death of the Vic itself. While one could say that doesn't mean much as the pub will probably be about the same after it's unveiling in a few months, it's still a big moment, and a major impetus for Peggy's departure. As much as I might dislike some characters, seeing Leon thrown into the flames would have distracted from the message. I've seen some "Was this better than the Dog fire? No." which I would agree with, but then, those were different circumstances.

Barbara Windsor has been criticized for being so OTT and I can see that but that's what Peggy is. I thought the confrontation between Phil and Peggy was classic soap, melodramatic and full of pain and rage and a battle of wills. The only part I would have cut out was Peggy saying "let it burn."

The scenes of Phil rummaging for money as the flames danced around him were chilling (although that money must have been hot). That and Stacey in hell were both very effective set pieces.

I just loved that slap Pat gave Stacey, not so much because of Stacey as because of Pat being so full of fire. Pat is back with a vengeance and I hope it lasts.

I'm a bit surprised they had Dot there, but at least they made sure she was out first and kept June Brown away from any health hazards.

Oh, and I am really enjoying the camraderie between Sam and Roxy, and how Sam was trying to comfort her at one point. Sam's been very enjoyable this week. I kind of wish she were staying.

Edited by CarlD2

• Members

Well I would have loved seeing her run the Vic, but I know that wasn't likely. I hope she still might be able to work there. She could become a mother figure to Kat, which would annoy Mo, given their history.

I'd also like to see David or Simon return, and see her ties to the Beales further explored.

More with Carol would be great too. A story where they are thrown together.

I'd like to see Pat have a partner too, that could be built up over time.

Mostly I just want to see her as a vital part of the community and not going back to sitting around the house, raising Bianca's kids, and going on holiday all the time.

Edited by CarlD2

• Members

I think so far, Kirkwood seems to have a greater appreciation for the older characters on the show than Santer did. Dot seems to have come alive again, Patick had some of his best scenes in years with the Lucas stuff, Peggy has been true to character, and Pat has been used a lot more and more incorporated in Janine's life and the community again. I'm sure if he could use Jim more and John Bardon's health was better, he would.

Kat/Pat is interesting. From what we know of Pat's backstory, she seemed like she was also a tart with a heart in her younger years.

Actually, I think Pat also sees a lot of her younger self in Janine, she may not be as heartless as Janine can be, but I think they've had some major parallels.

I always thought an explosive story for Pat, the Butcher's, and Wick's would be if Janine and David had a torrid affair and fell in love. Maybe David could tame Janine, it would be a bit like Ross and Blake. We also know Janine has no problems being with older men. Could you imagine the reactions from Pat, Bianca, Carol, and Ricky?

Edited by Y&RWorldTurner

• Members

New Kat and Alfie Trailer!

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8p4xlLezos0?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8p4xlLezos0?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8p4xlLezos0?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Edited by Y&RWorldTurner

• Members

Well that was fun (although at first I thought it was going to be like that GL fantasy where Nola shot Quint). I liked all the people in the background doing the spaghetti Western reactions -- Jane's was especially good.

What did you think of it? I'm sure it will be polarizing as these characters often seem to be but it was very eye-catching.

• Members

That will be nice -- I know it won't look that different but some other details might be nice. It will be interesting to see a new kitchen. I think that one has been around since at least the early Mitchell days. I can't remember if we saw it with Den and Angie.

I wonder why people always overpredict ratings. People were expecting 10-12 million last night, which is difficult for any show to get in September, and now here we are again with people saying 10-12 million for tonight.

• Members

I don't remember seeing the kitchen much if at all in the beginning stuff I've seen. That kitchen looks sooo 1960's. It needs a makeover.

I heard the show got a 41% share last night, their highest since July 29th, but less people tuned into television as a whole last night, so they ended up winning the night with only 8.5 million viewers. The BBC3 repeat had over a million viewers though.

I think less would tune in tonight, since it's Friday but who knows. The weather is still good and people have things to do. But it is Peggy's final episode, so who knows.