EastEnders: Discussion Thread

• Members

It's funny watching that Christmas 2000 episodes (there were two episodes aired that day) that was talked about earlier. Laura, Lisa, and Mel are such pathetic and crying messes. I've never liked Mel and Laura especially, what flat characters.

On the contrast in that episode, you could clearly see them setting up story for Kat and Janine. I really liked how they set Kat up in her first couple of months. She was flirty, sexy, and proud, but you knew she was hiding something and there was something to the persona she was putting on.

There's also wonderful scene between Janine and Peggy in that episode, when Peggy is all alone and everyone has abandoned her family dinner. Anyway, Janine knocks on the door and comes in to gloat about how alone Peggy is and how Frank brought her this expensive jacket and she asked Peggy (knowing that Frank hasn't talked to her in a while) if Frank even sent her a card. Peggy calls Janine a nasty little bitch and kicks her out. :lol:

The Slater girls were such lively women in that episode overall, you could understand why they show needed women like that.

Edited by Y&RWorldTurner

• Replies 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Yes. Mel and Lisa weren't getting along, and then Lisa threw a glass of wine on Mel. Phil blamed Lisa for everything, Mel went to Lisa/Phil's to take a shower, and Phil came in and fed Mel lies about Steve (Mel and Steve were having problems) and they slept together.

Phil and Lisa also had a huge fight and Phil ended up slapping her...

Anyway, by the end of the episode, Lisa tells Mel that they're "best friends" and they needed to support one another in what they're going through with Phil and Steve...

• Members

A full version of Peggy's Theme:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIep690y9R0?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIep690y9R0?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIep690y9R0?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

• Members

I'm surprised it shocked her when they killed Archie off and fired Larry Lamb. Those types of characters never last very long and Peggy doesn't have the best track record with husbands anyway.

I'm glad she's happy with her exit, and cool that she mentioned Kirkwood wanted to tie it in with her first set of scenes on the show.

• Members

I guess she might have been just saying what she thought was right but I do think that she was happy with it -- the pub fire performance was OTT but her work in her last episode was some of her best ever (compare it to poor Wendy Richard who clearly did not give a shi!). That's another reason I'm glad they didn't kill her off, as she probably would have made her upset clear to the press and that would give them ammo against the show.

I remember there were rumors when she left that she was going because Larry Lamb had been fired. I think at the time she denied that. In one sense I can understand her reaction, because I think the character could have worked, coming and going, after his first exit. He was a controlling and cruel man but he had not actually gone too far. It was only his return and death when it started getting so nasty -- slamming Ronnie against the bar, the rape, the molestation reveal. Archie was one of the best characters they'd created in years. I really wonder if it was worth killing him off.

Watching this for the first time. Lisa isn't a patch on Angie (although I do like Lisa), but it was smart to have Den look out for Lisa because of his guilt over what had happened to Angie. He and Lisa have a good rapport. As the clip goes along this is some of Lucy Benjamin's best work, and also, considering her character is supposed to be at a low point, probably one of her better hairstyles.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xeind0_eastenders-den-and-lisa-talk-31-10_shortfilms

• Members

I know the reason many felt Den's return failed was because he completely disregarded his morals over time and just became a bitter old freak. You did see a more complex side during his first few months back, but that deteriorated fast.

I don't think they ever really knew what direction to take that character once the shock of his return wore off. Like all of Berridge's pets, Den started to pop into the most random scenes with characters where he shouldn't have been, Berridge did the same thing with Alfie. Den's return could have been a lot more, but I don't think Berridge and those writing it were cleaver and creative enough.

Edited by Y&RWorldTurner

• Members

Sam has been a lot better this time around, I think a lot of the audience has accepted her much better during this stint than last year's stint. I think they did a good job of people wanting her back if they ever decide to bring her back again. They've made her into a real person again, which I don't think she was last year.

I don't think Daniella's Sam ever interacted with Kat. I do remember that Kat and Sam ended up becoming friendly after the Den murder stuff was out in the open and Zoe was in the clear. There was a scene where Ian was being an ass to Kim's Sam, and Kat (and I believe Pat) stepped in to help Sam tell Ian's ass off. Then Kat and Sam decided they should put the whole Den murder experience behind them.

Edited by Y&RWorldTurner