EastEnders: Discussion Thread

• Replies 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Spoiler on what brings Kat back, including a pic of Jessie in a whorish blonde wig :lol::

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/showbiz/961181/Ender-is-back-in-blonde-wig.html

I hope Kat's return makes them take Big Mo's character seriously again, and it looks that way.

Edited by Y&RWorldTurner

• Members

I'm sure it might be seen as too wacky or whatever but some fun wouldn't be bad, especially since the Slaters have not had any in years. Is she still going to be pregnant?

Is it me or does she look like Wendy Richard (of the later Are You Being Served Years) there?

• Members

I kind of wonder if that may happen, actually -- I think Eastenders and Hollyoaks are the only two British soaps (of those still on) which have never done that.

I was just thinking back to the earlier years of the show and trying to remember how often people were killed off. In the earliest years I only remember a few major deaths -- Reg Cox (if you can count him) in 1985, Andy in 1987, Lou in 1988, Den and Donna in 1989. Even the big cast exodus of 1989 had few deaths. It seems like the slaughterfest only started sometime around 2004 or 2005.

Another photo of Kat.

http://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/scoop/a276055/kats-return-corrie-proposal-oaks-weddings.html?locale

Edited by CarlD2

• Members

I think Kat and Ronnie are the only female character that deserve their pregnancies given their backstories and the circumstances surrounding Zoe and Danielle. I doubt they'll go down the baby switch route, though.

I still wonder how Charlie will bow out. Will they kill him off? Will he go live with Belinda, who Stacey mentioned two weeks ago?

I wouldn't mind if Belinda started making occasional visits to Kat and Big Mo again. I always enjoyed her visits in the early 00's.

• Members

Since Kat would be due around December I can see them doing the whole thing where Charlie dies as Kat's baby is born. If Becca is responsible Kat might blame Stacey and even if they make up this might cause Stacey and Jean to decide it's time to move on.

I'd love to see Belinda again. I'd be fine with any Slaters returning, although Zoe never did a lot for me.

• Members

Sean was the only Slater that was created without any involvement from Tony Jordan, and I think it showed.

Next Saturday will mark 10 years officially since the Slater's arrived in Walford, also the day of Ethel's funeral. Much like Peggy's farewell this week, I remember that whole time feeling like the beginning of a new era for the show.

• Members

I forgot Sean was a Slater. He's the one Slater I don't want to see again...

One of the most fascinating things about a soap is a transition year, for better or worse. I think you could even teach a class on them. I saw a comment at the Guardian article on Peggy's exit that nothing ever changes on a soap and it's just a monster eating it's own tail, but that's really not true. Soaps often have to change to survive, and unlike a lot of different shows, we see this change onscreen, bit by bit.

Whereas in 2000 I think it worked to bring the Slaters en masse I think the show is right this time to be more cautious and not take away from the big departures. The new characters seem to be arriving very slowly.

• Members

There was also talk of how in the late 90's/early 2000 the show didn't have too many strong female characters after Matthew Robinson's revamp. I think this was one of the main reasons Yorke and Jordan created the Slater sisters and brought Sharon back.

I think the show may be facing something opposite at the moment. There might not be enough of a strong male influence on the show. Maybe it's time for a male equivalent of the Slater's to arrive with a family of brothers who are all different but somehow blend together as a family unit.

Out of the Slater's to return, I think Little Mo and Belinda still have some potential. I like Lynn and she was clearly the most level headed and calm sister, but I don't know how they could bring her back without some thinking she's too boring of a character.

I'm interested in seeing how Kat and Max get along...

Edited by Y&RWorldTurner

• Members

Ethel was younger than Lou Beale, older than Dot. She lost her entire family during the Blitz. She was in her late teens at this time and began drinking and having fun to mask her pain. She married and was happy but her husband died young. She continued to put on a merry attitude but the sadness was never far down. Besides Dot and Lou, her best friend was her dog, Little Willy. He died and the Square replaced him for her but she said no one could replace him.

Ethel moved into a care facility in the late 80s and over time made less and less appearances. She was gone for several years before her 2000 return, where Dot euthanized her.

Ethel was a wonderful character.

• Members

I'm trying to remember the female characters at that time. I think it was generally weak women like Laura, Lisa and Mel, and then of course the older ladies (Dot, Pat, Pauline, Peggy, Irene). Not too strong...

Santer did a poor job of bringing strong male characters in. I guess the closest would be Christian or Ryan, but then Christian has been victimized over and over and Ryan is a bit wet.

I don't know if Kirkwood will be any better but he did bring a few strong men into Hollyoaks.