EastEnders: Discussion Thread

• Members

Agreed. Soaps need to revert to punishing rapists. 

It makes Linda look just as bad as Dean at the end of the day; however, we know all of Walford will justify her actions. 

I still don't get the gist of this Keanu murder crap because Linda was justified in killing him. He was literally about to choke the life out of Sharon. 

• Replies 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I think that they were afraid of having no one believing them since they had two bodies there. Which I though was a clever way. Had it only been Keanu (without Nish) I would think they same.

But I hope the truth comes out at some point, in spite of Dean potentially being set free. But I would use that to make Dean just go out on a revenge spree and that makes him get arrested and back to prison for real. And for the ladies, I am hoping for some forgotten security camera at the pub that saves Linda. 

• Members

I think they just need to squash this story at this point. I'd think it'd be more compelling if they just wrapped it up with Dean and the women (and other people who know) keep it a secret for years to come. Then in about 5-10 years, have Jade return to the Square, unmask the truth, and go on a rampage against the women that are still in the Square at that time. 

• Members

I would not mind that. 

But yes, as much as I enjoyed the story, this resolution as played out by now, is not the best one, so I like your proposal. Lets see

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

I can possibly see Dean running into Keanu's yet to be seen father in prison, and Keanu's dad coming to the square to enact a secret revenge plot. 

There's so many little hanging threads on the Taylor side of things regarding Keanu's death and impact. 

• Members

I would be all for this, but we all know how this'll end--Keanu's dad will become the villain of the moment and then be killed off either Xmas or NYE. He'll spend his whole time stomping around the Square, getting gaslit by everyone, and then being killed.

And I saw the clip of Lauren/Zach--really, EE?!! Are there any female friendships where they aren't trying to bed their friend's man? We already have this story with Stacey/Denise. 

• Members

I agree with both of you that they could go with the Keanu's dad route. But they should make Keanu's death matter. So I hope his dad is not just a villain of the month.

And I agree about Lauren/Zack.

Bad decision, even if Whit is leaving, this sucks.

• Members

It would've been more compelling for Lauren to grow feelings for him over time and then have them kiss. Then have regret. Then have Lauren reach out to Whit (even though she is offscreen) and confess the truth only to lose Whit as a friend. Then some more regret and backlash. Then put them together. It's like a dance. You must hit all the proper beats. But we already know they are just going to slap those two together the second Shona exits. 

• Members

It would have been better, but I still wouldn't enjoy it. I just have an issue when they put friends dating the same guy, especially in this case. This is not Whitney's hook up. She was with Zack for a while and they are having a child together. So yeah, them building this up would have been better from just a storyteller perspective, but I would still dislike Lauren and Zack for doing this.

• Members

I hope this means George’s estranged son is coming tot he Square! Colin Salmon and the Knight's have been a good addition to the show. 

• Members
Posted (edited)

To me they've all been pretty dull, aside from George. They also weigh down Cindy. I've seen fan comparisons between Anna and kids show presenters. I have a feeling they won't be there in a year or two (then again none of us may be).

This actor was stuck in a horrible story on Emmerdale. I hope he has a better time at EE.

Edited by DRW50

• Members

As well as having two bodies, the threat was that, as women, they wouldn’t be believed because cops don’t believe women when they report rape, so why would they believe them now. We also have a law in the UK called Joint Enterprise, which means a group of people can be charged with murder, which added to the threat that they would all go down. 

Probably because she used to act on a kids show for preschoolers. 

I’m not that fussed in the introduction of Junior Knight, as I think the show is starting to gain a bloated cast. There’s so many characters that have no purpose and no story that I’d like to see be developed. Even in the Knight family, Gina and Anna do nothing. 

Johnny, Felix, Vinny, Callum, Priya, Martin, Ravi, Chelsea, Penny, Peter, Bobby, Cindy, Ian… all need something to do. It looked like they were starting a Ravi/Priya/Martin triangle but that’s suddenly gone quiet. 

Why not get Vinny out of this weird mini-Nish phase, give him his life back and pair him with Anna; give him a mate in Callum. Also, just pair Callum and Johnny up already.

• Members

This. The above characters listed have been background characters long enough. Poor Bobby has been a background player for such a long time I don't blame his portrayer for leaving the show. 

• Members

That makes sense.

The main problem with EE, beyond how heartless and hollow the show feels, is that it is rigidly plot-driven. Things happen to move story along and for no other reason. And that often means ideas that on paper should be strong just kind of fade out onscreen, like Cindy's return, Alfie's cancer, anything involving Whitney and Zack. The show is so cold to me. And it's one of those shows where people deify the producer and go on about how hot he is and all the rest, which just ends up causing a cult mentality.

• Members

I think it’s difficult for EE not to fall into that cult mentality given the previous 6 years were some of the worst the show has produced. Chris Clenshaw is Shakespeare compares to his predecessors. The bar had fallen so low that creating an entertaining show was all it would take for fans to start worshiping him. 

There’s been a lot of positives over the past year, which I think overshadows a lot of the plotty-ness of stories. But I don’t think that will last forever.