EastEnders: Discussion Thread

• Members

Ooh, that's a difficult question! I've pretty much watched all the characters now having seen the Drama repeats. My favourite character of all time is probably Janine Butcher. My top 3 are probably:

1 Janine Butcher
2 Ben Mitchell (Harry Reid version)
3 Carol Jackson 

I really enjoyed Janine's 1999-2004 stint, and she was also very troubled even as a little girl on screen. I wasn't so keen on her later stints. I also really liked the Harry Reid version of Ben Mitchell, but the recast to Max Bowden has pretty much destroyed the character for me, because he's now nothing like what Ben was supposed to be at all. I think Carol is a brilliant character, mainly because the actress was very good. I think Pat was a great character, and Peggy. I also feel like I appreciate Pauline more as a character now, having seen her entire stint. I'm also a big fan of Sam Mitchell (Kim Medcalf's version), and I really liked Chrissie Watts. 

Here are some of my favourite characters in action!

I wish I had some better clips of Harry's Ben.

• Replies 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Oh nice!! I love Janine, although I haven't seen her early stuff! But I still enjoyed her as a villain when I started watching. LOOVED her and I love the actress!! She is also one of my favorite characters. I wish I could watch all those old episodes.

I loved Pat too! Was so sad when she died

Please register in order to view this content

I loved young Ben too, played by Joshua Pascoe as well as Harry Reid (although I haven't seen his entire run). 

I know this is probably unpopular, but I LOVED Zainab  

I also loved the Brannings... obviously Dot..  But I loved how messy Max and Tanya were. I loved Lauren and Abi and Bradley.. that whole family was so chaotic and dramatic

For example, I find Jack the most boring out of the Brannings, and yet he's basically the only one left (well now we have Lauren and Penny, although Penny has done nothing since she's been back lol)

I will have to watch those videos you posted here!! Thanks!

• Members

I think Zainab was great too. 

I agree that Joshua Pascoe was good. I really don't like the Max Bowden version at all.

I really like Lauren, so I'm glad they brought her back.

Pat and Frank's dynamic was really interesting.

• Members

And oddly, Den’s final death is probably the best umbrella story EE has ever done, especially looking back at their lame attempts since. This Kat/Zoe thread leading to Zoe’s exit was also the last time EE genuinely believed in long-term story, as it was also the culmination of that 5 year arc as well. 

• Members

Yeah? Thats great then!

But I just know back when she was on the show, I was also on some soap board and people didn't like her. That's why I thought this sentiment remained to this day  

• Members

It's probably the way the writers had her character acting, at least for me, under Bryan Kirkwood they did everything for the sake of keeping Masood and Zainab apart. Still had immense love for the character though, and to this very day I believe it was a huge mistake to write out the entire family unit. 

• Members

Could be.. I don't remember anymore the context of those bad comments, it was a long time ago. 

But I fully agree with you, they should have kept the Masoods (or at least some of them) on the show!! I loved almost all of them. I was hoping Shabnam would come back with this Dean/Jade storyline, but now. They even mentioned Zainab being in Pakistan at one point, it would have been great to have them both come back. And I would not mind an update of Syed and Christian. 

Btw, how did Zainab, Masood and Tamwar get written off? I think back when I was watching, they were all still on? Or I just forgot their exits.. lol I know Masood was dating Jane at some point... Was not a fan of that pairing, although I loved Jane. 

• Members
Posted (edited)

Well so I guess Panesars are back to the forefront. Nish came back with some big news. I thought as well he was faking it, but the doctor confirmed it. So I wonder if someone else dies in order for Nish to get a heart in the coming months. 

I am happy they didn't go back to Zack and Lauren. And also, Lauren vs Cindy is fun lol

Edited by Manny

• Members

Ted, Harry and Barney Mitchell are due to be introduced, an extention of Billy Mitchell's side of the family 

Would rather Ben, Courtney, Louise, or Mark jr were recast. Not introduced in more Billy.