Coronation Street: Discussion Thread

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

There's a channel that's put up a lot of episodes from 1996. It's easy to see why this is considered one of the worst years ever for the show and why they needed to make radical changes in 1997/1998 in order to make the show more interesting.

The show seemed stuck in a very boring and monotone lull during this time. It also looks like Bet leaving the year before had a huge impact on the show and left a big hole that never quite knew how to fill.

Edited by BetterForgotten

• Members

I do recall 1996 having its fair share of problems, particularly because some of the characters (eg Deirdre, Gail) that had previously led successful stories for years all had a really quiet year at the same time or were stuck in banal storylines (eg Des and Claire involving Claire's late husband's army pension).

Departures also hurt the show, Post-marriage Curly and Raquel were stuck in a holding pattern until she left him, the Duckworths being in charge of the Rovers after Bet left got stale real quickly, Steve was in prison and Vicky left, Maureen and Maud floundered after Reg left, Ken was left holding the baby after Denise left and a lot of time had to be spent on developing all the new characters who were being introduced for the shows move to four episodes a week (many of whom were promptly axed by Brian Park when he took over, though those newer characters who did survive did eventually become classics themselves eg Fred, Maxine, Ashley, Roy).

Other storylines seemed to lack effective follow through (Jim beating Liz) or were merely set ups that wouldn't pay off until the following year (Don Brennan vs Mike Baldwin, Kevin taking over the garage)

• Members

Just watched episodes for Monday March 30-Friday April 3. I thought the direction was quite odd at times. Is this the first time Judith Dine directed? Weird camera positions and reaction shots. That shot from behind Carla's fireplace was artsy-fartsy awful. That location shoot with Sarah/Beth/Callum seemed strange, too.

Edited by TimWil

• Members

Not in recent years, no.

(did I suggest that before the show did it? I blanked that out...)

Seriously though, David and Callum hate sex mixed with their custody fight, a powder keg waiting for Kylie's return...the story would have written itself.

So what do you think of the rumors that

?

Do you think it's true they will pair Anna and Tim?

Edited by DRW50

• Members

With they way they've written Callum, at least, it definately could be a possibility. With Andy being a more concealed character, I can see it happening between them, moreso than David.

I have no problem with both dying. I do think it's a shame that they friendship between Zeedan and Maddie had to come to a halt because of her leaving, but this will finally give him something to do. I also think Brooke Vincent is quite the underrated gem. She has been a fantastic supporting character lately, seemingly one of the pieces of glue holding this show together. On the other hand, I dread trying to care about Leanne losing Kal. That relathionship couldn't have been more boring. I wonder if the fire will be before or after

They would be idiots to break up Tim and Sally. They are one of the best couples this has ever had. Plus, with Jenny only being back temporarily, I've been thinking for awhile that Kevin and Anna will eventually be a thing.

Edited by Bright Eyes

• Members

I hate that so much with Corrie. They started it with Tina's exit, I think, and it's just been annoying even more ever since. I don't know what they're thinking.

My avatar is the incomparable Anne Dorval and fantastic Antoine-Olivier Pilon in a still from Xavier Dolan's mulitple award winning, MOMMY. I've praised Dolan numerous times. Suzanne Clement, who I once had as my avatar, is also in the film and gives a great performance. A-OP was also in my avatar, the black and white one with a guy on a cross, from a music video directed by Dolan, which I posted in the 'What are you listening to?" thread awhile back.

• Members

Thanks.

The first time I saw it I got confused and thought it was Antony Cotton.

It's been interesting to see some of the backlash on the hysteria-DS site over Sean and Ivan being refused service because they're a gay couple. I guess "religious freedom" is just as prevalent with some idiots over there.