Coronation Street: Discussion Thread

• Members

On a shallow note, Bet consistently had some of soap's greatest hair, US and UK.

I think I'm gonna buy those DVDs. All of the comments seem to be from Americans. I've been watching tons of eps on YT, but I'm paranoid about having physical access to shows vs. strictly digital. Things get yanked all the time, and I don't watch fast enough to get through all of something right away. I just need for them to start releasing Prisoner: Cell Block H in Region 1.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I know Bet's iconic beehive was voted soap's worst hairstyle on a poll done a few years back. laugh.png But Bet wouldn't be Bet without it.

I love how Julie/Corrie brought it back just in time before she left in 1995. It's just Bet.

I always love watching this clip of Bet and Rita's friendship crumbling to a million pieces, which of course ultimately lead to Bet leaving. It's sad, yet entertaining as hell at the same time. More than any man, the Rovers Return meant to world to Bet and was the one sense of stability she had ever had in her life. It made sense that losing it would drive her off the Street. It's too bad Julie will never come back to the show and we're left with trash like the McDonald's, Michelle, and Sean at the Rovers.

If Corrie ended tomorrow and since Annie Walker is long gone, it should be Bet behind the bar than anyone else.

• Members

It's always the, "PALS? PALS?" that gets me in that argument. Julie Goodyear may not have been the best actress, but when they actually wrote for her in the proper way, she really could break your heart. You know, just as Rita knows, that it's not just a slanging match or time for a cliched "soap slap" or a hair pull - it's the end of something that can never come back.

The whole thing also reminds me that sometimes characters can stay too long...even as people like Emily are pretty much fully intact, even after 55 years, the Rita we see now is a shadow of the one we see here. And this scene makes a mockery of every time the writers used Rita as an ATM for that sourface twit Tina.

• Members

Even though I am a late Corrie watcher [as I started in the mid 00s], I love Bet. From going back and watching her whole arc/backstory thanks to the videos that Corrie made about their legends [something the US soaps should've done], I can see why the general audience loved her too. She went from being a tart with a heart to the sensible, lovable business woman--a respectable pillar on the street. And besides Sharon, Peggy, Angie, & Mrs. Walker, Bet has to be one of, if not the best barmaid/landlady in British soap history.

I enjoy watching clips from old school Corrie because despite the casts being large, everyone had and knew their roles. I don't think that exists on this show nowadays. There is so much deadweight on the show, and it is so dark in recent years. The show seriously needs to lighten up.

• Members

I continue to be impressed by Lucy Fallon (Bethany). For someone so young her comic timing is impeccable. OK, she definitely looks 17 and not 14 but I'm willing to overlook that. I don't see her staying beyond her one year contract because I can't be the only one who sees a lot of potential for her to work in other areas, including films.

• Members

She's also one of those characters that never needed any family around her to make her viable. She was so embedded into the community of the show, probably the friend some viewers had at some point in their lives or wished they had.

Julie often tells a story about how protective the audience was of Bet. She said the day they shot Bet's wedding to Alec, there were hundreds of fans outside the set protesting and calling for her not to marry him. When I started researching the show, she was one of the first characters that popped out to me. They just don't make characters like that anymore.