Coronation Street: Discussion Thread

• Members

I like Katherine Kelly a lot but I agree a lot of Becky wasn't necessarily the way to go. And so much of Becky's stuff with Tracy were retreads of Karen/Tracy. That was inescapable, I guess.

I was sad to hear that Zoe Lucker's next stop is Hollyoaks, not Coronation Street. I would totally have bought her as a recast Stella. I'd have had her come back with Eva following Catherine Tyldsley's maternity leave. I don't think the show has ever done a major recasting before but given the circumstances I think this would have been deemed acceptable.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Yes, Becky was always better when she was in Hayley and Roy's orbit. Once they stuck her in Steve's orbit, I knew she was doomed. Most of his leading ladies get the life sucked out of them for some reason. They never last and I always grow to hate them.

Sorry but heavens no. Stella was a dud of a character. A vortex of suck. Any character that was in her orbit paid for it dearly. With the exception of Eva.

Leanne is a dud till this day

Karl was hauled off to jail

Sunita was murdered

Dev is nonexistent and practically deadweight

Jason barely recovered from that mess of an affair--another flop relationship might I add

I think Zoe might excel on HO; however, she might've been better on Emmerdale as the traditional, bitchy first lady of Home Farm.

• Members

NBA I hope you can comment on some of the last few ED episodes soon if you've seen them. They've been very Ross-ful (in the best and worst Ross ways). Thursday's were especially entertaining.

As for Zoe Lucker, she's good at camp and HO is bad camp now, but I don't know - I just don't think Kirkwood can write for anyone.

I still resent Stella for Betty's funeral. Shameful. Shameful.

• Members

Collinson obliterated her, but I think the basic character is still there (although I wish she had better hair). A part of me is surprised Alison King has stayed, but I guess she knows parts for women her age are hard to come by.

It still surprises me sometimes that she became as popular as she did, as she could have easily been seen as just the bitter long lost love/other woman of Liam. She and Rob James Collier had so much chemistry (while Samia Smith was just...there), I guess you could easily see them as a tragic love story.

At her best she reminded me of so many of Corrie's better ladies.

• Members

I love how classy she is about saying she never has any intention of returning to Corrie, like 3:42 in.

The Karen era was the only time I could stand to watch anything with Steve. I wish more material with her was up again as I do think she was a big part of the show's 2002-2004 resurgence. She sort of became the darling of the UK soap world during her relatively brief time in it. I am glad Jones has had such a successful career post-Corrie on UK television.